MEGA RatManDu Coming This Wednesday 6/3/2020 At 9:00 PM Eastern!!!

The swamp micarta holds dye really good. My mega wiler got a black boiling rit bath and holding up great.

So green on green looks great. I’m sure black in black is a solid look.
I’m wondering if anyone has tried green dye on tan micarta to see if it’ll come out kinda camo?

You can do that by watching & pulling when it has the look you want. Probably between 5-10 minutes, the way I did it this time.
When doing scales while they're attached, remember - water may boil at 212 degrees; but the pot will be hotter. To avoid concerns of messing up temper/heat treat, I used a separate container in the pot & suspended the knife in it. I checked several times during the process, and the steel at the bottom never exceeded 160.
Once I had a good even color, I removed the container from the pot & let it continue in the sink. Because about a half inch of the blade above the handle was showing patina and rust, I rubbed it til the red was gone, then flipped the knife and put the blade in the dye bath. When removed, rubbing with mineral oil on a cloth didn't remove the rusty look from the center of the blade; so I dabbed on a bit of metal glo & lightly rubbed it off. I don't usually bother with a rinse/soak in a base solution to neutralize; but, due to the extent of the rust color before the metal glo, I did this time.
View attachment 1415388 View attachment 1415389

Last edited:
I made a little tripod mount to keep it up off the bottom of the pot..dangling it would have been way smarter/easier haha

Not sure what happened in the safe last night, but when I just checked, this fatty had shed its scales to lose some weight... :eek:

IMG_5883.jpg

:cool:

Weights and measures:

Naked knife is 11.39oz (323.1g) and 0.355" (9.01mm) thick.

The pair of scales weigh 1.67oz (47.5g) and each measures 0.259" (6.58mm) thick at its thickest point.

I forgot to weigh the knife before drilling the tube rivets out, but my other black canvas micarta one weighs 13.26oz (376.3g), which is 0.2oz (5.7g) heavier than the remainder of the maroon micarta knife. That puts each tube fastener at ~1.9g apiece.

Did a gutted paracord wrap. I used 9', but could have gotten away with 8'. Happy with how it turned out.

IMG_5895.jpg

IMG_5896.jpg

IMG_5898.jpg

Back