Mega RF2 Work In Progress!

You guys are awesome! Thanks Daniel! Nothing gets better than witness the WIP of your dream folder, I'm so lucky! :p

Last edited:
Back on!!!! :D :cool:

Here's the first step today, I'm starting the pivot hole with a "D" bit, it is a few thousandths of an inch smaller than my next step, the reamer.

Reaming the pivot - important! I'm using a mill collet for this and have to change them out for every step... lots of work but very accurate. I'm reaming to .249" prior to heat treat. I will lap the pivot with 600 grit clover compound after heat treat until it fits just right.

Grinding to profile!

Checking fit

Different profile... big! There is still enough room for the original profile within the shape!

Profile - still too large to fit in the frame but the lines are getting there!

Closer!

The thickness! Mega vs standard RF2

Jimping plan! Ben is this looking correct? 3 lines across or four?

:eek: Damn, I love that blade shape!!! Now i can literally see the shape of it! Outstanding Daniel!
Question, Will the blade shrink during HT and what RC are you aiming at?

You nailed it bro, 4 please! :p LOVE that thickness!!! :thumbup:

Last edited:
zaz_zpsenhdxhsp.jpg

This pic literally made my jaw drop! That is gonna be a BEAST!
Ben, you're are going to need a knife Sherpa!

big is bigger, er better... HOW effing thick is that? .3xin?

I'm patient. Like a dog... WOOOF (humps leg)

:eek: Damn, I love that blade shape!!! Now i can literally see the shape of it! Outstanding Daniel!
Question, Will the blade shrink during HT and what RC are you aiming at?

You nailed it bro, 4 please! :p LOVE that thickness!!! :thumbup:

Thanks!!!

Steel will usually shrink after heat treat but we're talking less than a thousandth of an inch. I'll do some post heat treat grinding to insure that it is straight and parallel so it will lose a tiny bit there. I have it in a bath of weight gainer 5000 right now to combat this. Beefcake!

It's thick! This really will lock like a bank vault... clack! :D

More Mega progress!!!!!!! :cool:

I finally got the heat treat and blade lapping done... time for more!

Dead centered... as always but there is something about that thick blade centering without even a spacer! I left the pivot clearance under .001" and while it is very tight the blade swings like it is on bearings.

I left the blade very oversized so I can just trim it to fit... I do this on every folder blade. You can see the back stop on the blade needs a good trim back. I spent about an hour on the stops alone and must have assembled the knife 50 times to get it just right. I look at the lines from every angle, back lit, etc and want every line to work perfectly.

Oh yeah! Lining up nicely...

I'm really liking the lines now...

looks good! That general profile looks good for "regular" sized rf2s in the future, later!

Man..what a sexy blade, that blood groove looks so deep and mean such a bad@ss knife!

I'm looking at it and drooling all over myself here....
Drooling-Jake-adventure-time-with-finn-and-jake-34662894-500-278.jpg

Thanks guys!

More!

The thickness!

Lining up nicely on the opening slot and relief. I pulled the slot back for more leverage on this monster blade and really like the way it makes the lines flow.

T H I C K ! ! !

This is not a blood groove... more of a moat flanked by turrets that leads to a blood ocean!!!! So metals... :p

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyH2kU4NjHA

Check this killer carbon fiber for the spacer.

Back