Melting Nickels

Has anybody tried melting nickels to use for bar stock for guards and pommels? Been thinking about triying it. Is it illegal?

It's not illegal, as long as you don't tryo to spend them as nickels, but nickels are about 75% copper and 25% nickel, I believe (but don't lynch me if I'm wrong) the composition is similar to the old alloy known as cuppronickel

They do melt alright, but you need to add a flux to keep it clean

Bump Man, would it be possible to obtain some 200 nickel for this? I don't know the thicknesses it comes in, or if bars are even available. To bad that sheets can't be folded and forge-welded into bars, or can it?

Even nickles aren't what they used to be. There had been a number of times on jobs where I would really need a washer and just didn't feel the need to run to a hardware store to buy one so I'd drill a whole threw a penny and use it. Was I shocked the first time I noticed the shavings weren't copper colored.

You can use quarters to make mokume. Just drill a hole in them, slide them on a brass or NS rod to hold them in place and give the stack a good smack. It might get more expensive than nickels though.

Yeah Ray, when I'm melting brass er--- I should say when I used to, I'd throw a penny in to make up for the zinc lost to fumes.pennies are 97% zinc with a heavy copper wash.

I don't know what nickels are currently being made of, I was talking about the ones made from the late 70's or so, till the late 90's or so. My percentages might be off a little, but it's close to that I'm pretty sure.

I've used nickels to make mokume as well, the alloy keeps it's color, and welds quite well with pure copper for good contrast.

Thanks for the replies so far although it sounds like nobody has acually done it before. Im willing to try it but what kind of flux should I use? Im thinking about making a bar sized stainless steel box with tapered sides so when it cools the bar will just fall out when slammed on the anvil upside down. Is there fume concerns? I wonder what the melting temp is? maybe higher than my forge or oven can handle?

I have the same questions with silver? It would be easier Im sure but do I still need flux? and what type and temps?

i think they changed the makeup of the new nickles. they might be a coated steel core now, check with a magnet

From the United State Mint's website faq (http://www.usmint.gov/):

1. What are current circulating coins made from?

Quarters, dimes, and half dollars are cupro-nickel clad. Each coin has a copper core and an outer layer, the “clad,” made of 75 percent copper and 25 percent cupro-nickel alloy. Nickels are made from the same 75-25 alloy. The Golden Dollar is also a clad coin. The alloy layers on each side of the copper core are manganese brass, a golden-colored material composed of 77% copper, 12% zinc, 7% manganese, and 4% nickel. The cent, once a copper coin, is now composed of copper-plated zinc. Copper-plated cents cost less to manufacture, and at 2.5 grams each, they weigh about 20% less than the older cent, which was 95 percent copper and 5 percent zinc. For more information see the specification chart for circulating coins.

If you've ever wondered how many reeds are on a quarter, check out their spec sheet.

I didn't know about manganese brass on the dollar coin- pretty cool stuff.:) Every once in a while I come across a pre-1965 dime still in circulation.

Jeremy

We used to melt down nickles all the time to mock up work for jewelery casting... It has a very high melting temp but should be fine in a forge ect... In a little electic melting furnace it pushes the limits...

When melting it you can pour it into a graphite mold or even into a mold made of sand or dried clay... just make sure whatever you pour it into it is COMPLETELY DRY. You dont want molten metal spurting up tword the old gourd...

As far as flux, you want to stir it in once the metal has gone liquid with a graphite or quartz rod ( available at jewelery supply) or you can even use EDM graphite that you can get through the web or MSC ect. The flux we always used was anhydrous boric acid (dehydrated borax). regular borax will work but leaves a little more slag and impurities to skim off. The impurities will float to the top when you flux the liquid and usually stick to the graphite rod rather easily... Do yourself a favor and wrap the top of the rod with duct tape or something as the heat travels up the graphite rather fast...

If you need any more help with home casting ideas just let me know!! I would be glad to help!

Alan Folts

alanfolts@hotmail.com

Thanks Alan. So everyone would know I stacked 6 nickels on a piece of steel and put them in my forge. they began to get molten at 2200f so I put anhydrous borax on them and they ran into a nice puddle at 2300f. Perfect! Im off to the bank!:)

so weird. I just saw an article in an old fabricator mag. Man built a sofa out of nickels 6400 some nickels. It sold for $18,000.00 :eek:

Bruce Bump said:
Has anybody tried melting nickels to use for bar stock for guards and pommels? Been thinking about triying it. Is it illegal?

Hey Bruce - I wasn't sure, so I looked for it... The following link, if operational, goes to a Google page with the exact question and answer... melt away, just don't try and alter them and pass them off as some other type of currency. And for now, I don't think of knives as currency, but as art?!?!?

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=77334

Thanks Joe, the link worked for me. Im OK as long as I dont try to pass them off in a fraudulent manner. I just want to make guards, pommels and guns out of them, thats all.

Sweany I only need one. If I were to duplicate the parts I could make a mold and cast several. How did the guy make the sofa? Melt them and cast or solder them together?

Nickels are more scratch resistant. They are made to carry in your pocket for 100 years.

hi in reply to your question on legality on coins in content and melting in Canada most coins are pure nickel and it is not legal to melt coins in Canada I am posting this for Canadian readers as I am Canadian and worked in the Jewllery bissness for 11 years be for I tuned to Blade making if got in Canada melting Canadian coin it is 5 years in the crow bar hotel sincerly dolphin2

Back