Membership and Purchases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pennlu

Gold Member
One of my favorite activities is buying and selling knives on the exchange. I love trying out things talked about on the forum. My membership lets me sale my knives, but I wish it gave me and other members the right to have first dibs on buying also. I am not suggesting a rule not letting non-paying members purchase. Just establishing an etiquette that gives a grace period after posting to give a member the right to purchase.
This could also really help with gaining new members to support the forum. I purchased a microtech from an individual selling his collection two days ago. The individual would only arrange payment through a PM. Two or three new members signed up from one sales thread to claim one of his microtechs before someone else did.
This could also cut down on flipping when great prices are offered. They would have to go somewhere else or at least support the site. Otherwise, a community member will end up with the knife.

Lots of people already do this in their sales ads. You can set whatever personal terms you want. If you only want to sell to left handed people in Florida then no problem.

Just put that in your listing.

I can't imagine how this would cut down on flipping though. The flippers have always been at least Gold members. The want to be able to sell here also and if they're buying up inventory they want every advantage of a membership to buy knives first.

The buyer has always had the right to sell to whomever they choose to. The rules have been in place for a long time, and they have worked well for sellers and buyers alike. There is absolutely no reason to change them just to suit your preferences.

One of my favorite activities is buying and selling knives on the exchange. I love trying out things talked about on the forum. My membership lets me sale my knives, but I wish it gave me and other members the right to have first dibs on buying also. I am not suggesting a rule not letting non-paying members purchase. Just establishing an etiquette that gives a grace period after posting to give a member the right to purchase.
This could also really help with gaining new members to support the forum. I purchased a microtech from an individual selling his collection two days ago. The individual would only arrange payment through a PM. Two or three new members signed up from one sales thread to claim one of his microtechs before someone else did.
This could also cut down on flipping when great prices are offered. They would have to go somewhere else or at least support the site. Otherwise, a community member will end up with the knife.
Huh ?

As stated above by a couple of our members, the seller can make stipulations as to the right to choose whom he or she sells to, based upon this or that qualification.

If we start legislating ever more complex rules into who and how and when and why...we won't have much time to enjoy this little hobby of ours...and we mods will fall over dead from exhaustion. (Some may look forward to that eventuality. šŸ¤£ )

"I want special privileges"
I apologize if this boils down to entitlement. I sincerely do. It is not something I am fond of. I saw it as site support and supporting those that do.

I apologize if this boils down to entitlement. I sincerely do. It is not something I am fond of. I saw it as site support for and supporting those that do.

See it this way, instead. People buying a Gold membership so they can sell their items on the Exchange is a great way to support the site. Your post came off as "I dislike that someone with less posts, and who wasn't a Gold member, claimed an item for sale before I could." If that's not what you meant, well, that's what it looked like.

Gotta be fast if you want the goods, asking for new rules that would give you a small edge* isn't the way to go.

* Heh, let's be real, it wouldn't, not really.

How about anyone caught flipping a hot knife 1 day after release with a 100%+ markup over retail gets a 10 year ban. That should cut the knees off flippers.

Bad Idea I guess from the feedback. Thanks for hearing me out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back