Memorial GAW 2021

I haven't had a chance to go through and write responses to everyone who has taken the time to enter, but I will do so soon. In the meantime, I thought I would give this a bump to hopefully get a few more entrants.

My wife (who's name is Abby coincidentally) is a social worker, and when we first met she was working as an addictions counselor at a hep c clinic. She worked in addictions for a few years but has since moved on to general mental health. Addictions unfortunately affect more than just the person with the addiction. Several of her clients lost their battles, as well as her brother-in-law who passed away soon after we met. This is a great way to honour the memory of your brother.
If I were to win, the knife would go to either my daughter (once she's old enough - she's 3) or my son (who's due at the end of March). Thanks for the opportunity!

Lovely giveaway every year. I received one of these from your giveaways in the past, and gave it to a young scout going through some really tough times with his family.

I lost a brother in law about 5 years ago to suicide. Loss is always tough, but I've found the great memories we share about him when we gather seem to have tempered the loss (he committed suicide on my birthday, we found out as we were traveling to a family celebration/get together on a visit to his state).

I have a production knife from Charlie Mike...he sent it with a handmade belt sheath. I regularly fondle that knife and sheath....and smile when thinking about CM's antics... his loss was a blow to this community.

Last edited:
Not an entry, as I’ve been the fortunate recipient of this GAW twice. Both of those knives ended up in the hands of some appreciative kids, one just after he attained Eagle Scout. An absolutely terrific way to remember and honor your brother. I’d encourage everyone to enter, after all doesn’t everyone need a scout knife?

Congratulations again on the youngster my friend :thumbsup: A sad tale, but a generous annual giveaway, of which I've been a former winner. No entry from me please, but my thoughts are with you, and good luck to everyone who enters :thumbsup:

Thanks @Jack Black

Great GAW in memory of your brother, hopefully your passerby message to stop will be heard and congrats on your new child.
I'm in, we have 6 Grandkids and another grandson due any day will make it 7.
If I win I will probably gift to my daughter for her to give to grandson #7 when he gets older.

Congratulations on the growing family @knifethetank, you are #1 for the kids drawing

You've shown great love, commitment, and loyalty to your brother through the years, as well as this yearly GAW tradition in his memory. Not an entry, as I have a lot of knives and no young-uns anymore, but just wanted to commend you for bringing the struggle to light and also paying it forward.

Thanks @glennbad, someday I'll give away a knife you find irresistible. I just need to figure out what that would be, since you have given me some real treasures.

Only one grandson, so in for him. Thanks.

@abcdef, You are #2 for the kids

Not an entry...
This is an admirable yearly GAW in memory of your brother. :cool::thumbsup:

Thanks @JohnDF

I am in for my nephew Caleb, he is 8 yo and has does not have a pocket knife yet.
Thank you !

We'll have to get that boy a knife @CelloDan! You are #3 for the kids drawing.

This one of the best giveaways...not only incredibly generous but thoughtful and well considered...I would love to be a part of it but alas the tyranny of distance forbids it....However I do feel that if the rules were ....shall we say? ....a little bendy...I might be able to do 2 "on behalfs"....Many of you know my background was 30 yrs fire and rescue NSW....we did a high school progamme for young adults who have new drivers licences ,learners and p platers..What happened to Abbydaddys brother is all too common.....I would present a short talk to the students followed by the crew cutting and breaking up a car with a live "victim"....with the hydraulic tools....
Hopefully it made them think about speed and safety.....
Anyhow...if its ok I nominate
@CelloDan and @abcdef.
Cheers.

You know @meako, you have definitely given me plenty of entertainment and fun with your postings, especially in the annual forum knife discussions. And thank you for your work with fire and rescue, and educating young people. I'll make the rules extra bendy. @CelloDan can have #4 and @abcdef can have #5 for the kids, but I am also going to make you #1 for the adult drawing.

Eloquently spoken Glenn! :thumbsup:

Drugs and Alcohol have touched every family on this planet. It has galloped thru mine! Cocaine killed my brother, Alcohol my Father and came close to gettin me. But by the Grace of God and the program of A. A. I'm still here. Like you, I miss Charlie Mike. He finally turned the corner and a bunch of us here were sure pullin for him!
These are two things that never leave my pocket....
View attachment 1505974

IF I get lucky :rolleyes: I will find a wide eyed youngster @ the OKCA show (if we ever have one again):( The same place I had the pleasure of meeting you and Abby, and gift it! So, I'm in!!! And I guess I can't now say I don't enter giveaways!!! ;)

Dave

Thank you for entering knowtracks knowtracks , and thank you for sharing your story. You have #6 for the kids drawing.

I have watched knowtracks knowtracks delight in giving a knife to a starry-eyed kid at the Great Oregon Knife show, and I declare I am in, with Dave as the recipient!! Hopefully his generosity and yours, Barrett, will fuel some pass-it-forward energy!!:thumbsup:
I also lost a brother, too early in time, and have a family member in substance danger, and appreciate your memorial event!!:cool:

Thanks for entering @waynorth, Charlie, you are another member that I hope to one day manage to tempt with a GAW. Someday... In the meantime, I will take your entry on behalf of knowtracks knowtracks and make it entry #2 for the adult drawing (even though I know Dave will give it to a kid the next time we finally get to all enjoy the OKCA show).

Glad to see this GAW again this year. I'm not entering, and I don't have any children in particular this year who I can give a knife to for nomination. I'll give it some more thought and maybe come up with something. In the meantime, I wanted to say thanks for continuing this great tradition and tribute to your brother!

If you think of anyone @JTB_5, speak up and I'll add an entry.

Abbydaddy, thanks once again to you - I know the work you do will make a difference in the world and that is what life is truly about - making a difference somewhere for someone. A good friend of mine just lost his 22 year old nephew, a really nice young man, to a heroin overdose - it’s tearing that family up right now. I have no child (mine are all in their 30’s) and no grandchild. I will enter but the knife must go to someone here who has children or who teaches children. They will have to step forward at the end and identify their self . Thanks again, OH

Thanks for the entry Old Hunter Old Hunter , I guess that a mysterious beneficiary gets kid's entry #7

Fantastic GAW. Thanks.
This entry is for a kid I know at my fishing pier whose family is really struggling now.

Thanks @Captvideo, you've got kid's entry #8

AbbyDaddy,
Bless you for being the person you are..... You definitely walk the talk when it comes to caring for your fellow man..... Thank you for your support of people who need help from substance abuse..... I got off the sauce 8 years ago and I know what it is to be unburdened.........
If I should win I'd like a BF member to accept the knife and pass on to a deserving child......
Thank you,
Brent

Thanks @HEMI 49, we have another entry in the kids drawing on behalf of mysterious beneficiary #9

I would like to enter. A very heart felt GAW. Thank you for allowing us to participate in his memory.

Thanks for the entry pmek5 pmek5 , you've got adult entry #3

Not an entry, as I’ve been the fortunate recipient of this GAW twice. Both of those knives ended up in the hands of some appreciative kids, one just after he attained Eagle Scout. An absolutely terrific way to remember and honor your brother. I’d encourage everyone to enter, after all doesn’t everyone need a scout knife?

Thanks 315 315 , any time you've got a kid that deserves a good knife, let me know.

I'll go ahead and enter for my grandson that I'm still waiting on in the hospital. He was born Tuesday morning. Obviously if selected the knife would be carried by me for a while, used together when he's old enough, then passed on.

Congratulations on the growing family JupiterPaladin JupiterPaladin , getting a knife from grandpa is definitely a fine thing as a boy. You've got kid's slot #10

My wife (who's name is Abby coincidentally) is a social worker, and when we first met she was working as an addictions counselor at a hep c clinic. She worked in addictions for a few years but has since moved on to general mental health. Addictions unfortunately affect more than just the person with the addiction. Several of her clients lost their battles, as well as her brother-in-law who passed away soon after we met. This is a great way to honour the memory of your brother.
If I were to win, the knife would go to either my daughter (once she's old enough - she's 3) or my son (who's due at the end of March). Thanks for the opportunity!

Thanks T Trvr , and thank you to your Abby, and congratulations on your growing family :) You've got kid's slot #11

This is a very nice way to remember your brother. I will enter and the knife would go to my grandson.

Thanks danno50 danno50 , You've got kid's slot #12

Lovely giveaway every year. I received one of these from your giveaways in the past, and gave it to a young scout going through some really tough times with his family.

I lost a brother in law about 5 years ago to suicide. Loss is always tough, but I've found the great memories we share about him when we gather seem to have tempered the loss (he committed suicide on my birthday, we found out as we were traveling to a family celebration/get together on a visit to his state).

I have a production knife from Charlie Mike...he sent it with a handmade belt sheath. I regularly fondle that knife and sheath....and smile when thinking about CM's antics... his loss was a blow to this community.

I am sorry for your loss Bigfattyt Bigfattyt , it is hard when a bitter twist is added to a special day. I do frequently wish that I had bought a knife from CM, even if I never had much use for most of the knives he made. It would be a good memento.

Alright, I think I've got everyone's entries. That's 12 for the kids, and three for the grownups. I'll leave this open one more day, and do the drawing tomorrow knight. Thanks to everyone who shared and/or entered. And if anyone else feels inspired, please consider entering.

Lost my father to substance abuse a long ago. Changes you in a way you don’t really expect.

Would love to enter for my self and for my daughter 10. My son can wait couple more years :)

Thank you for this wonderful opportunity.

I am in lost a brother to alcohol and a brother in law to drugs.....

I am sorry for your losses G Getting older , you have adult slot #3 (because pmek5 pmek5 decided to switch his).

Lost my father to substance abuse a long ago. Changes you in a way you don’t really expect.

Would love to enter for my self and for my daughter 10. My son can wait couple more years :)

Thank you for this wonderful opportunity.

Sorry for you loss, and congratulations on your family euroken euroken , you have adult slot #4 and kid slot #13.

Sorry, I meant to note that I have currently have 10 grandkids. So obviously one would receive the knife if I won. Thank you abbydaddy abbydaddy

Okay, I'll switch you over to the kids drawing. You have kid's slot #14.

Alright everyone, time for the drawing.

For the kids knife, the random generator says: 7

Congrats to Old Hunter Old Hunter 's mysterious beneficiary. I'll give this one a day or two to get worked out.

For the adult knife, the random generator says: 2

Congrats to knowtracks knowtracks ! Pm me your address, and we'll figure out the knife you want and get it sent off to you.

Thank you to everyone who participated.

And to those who've lost loved ones, zichronam livracha, may their memory be a blessing.

Back