Memorial GAW 2021

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by abbydaddy, Feb 8, 2021.

1. abbydaddy

abbydaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2014
    I haven't had a chance to go through and write responses to everyone who has taken the time to enter, but I will do so soon. In the meantime, I thought I would give this a bump to hopefully get a few more entrants.

knowtracks and Jack Black like this.
  2. JupiterPaladin

JupiterPaladin

May 4, 2016
    I'll go ahead and enter for my grandson that I'm still waiting on in the hospital. He was born Tuesday morning. Obviously if selected the knife would be carried by me for a while, used together when he's old enough, then passed on.

3. Trvr

Trvr

Jun 21, 2020
    My wife (who's name is Abby coincidentally) is a social worker, and when we first met she was working as an addictions counselor at a hep c clinic. She worked in addictions for a few years but has since moved on to general mental health. Addictions unfortunately affect more than just the person with the addiction. Several of her clients lost their battles, as well as her brother-in-law who passed away soon after we met. This is a great way to honour the memory of your brother.
    If I were to win, the knife would go to either my daughter (once she's old enough - she's 3) or my son (who's due at the end of March). Thanks for the opportunity!

knowtracks and abbydaddy like this.
  4. danno50

danno50 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2008
    This is a very nice way to remember your brother. I will enter and the knife would go to my grandson.

5. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt

Jun 23, 2007
    Lovely giveaway every year. I received one of these from your giveaways in the past, and gave it to a young scout going through some really tough times with his family.

I lost a brother in law about 5 years ago to suicide. Loss is always tough, but I've found the great memories we share about him when we gather seem to have tempered the loss (he committed suicide on my birthday, we found out as we were traveling to a family celebration/get together on a visit to his state).

I have a production knife from Charlie Mike...he sent it with a handmade belt sheath. I regularly fondle that knife and sheath....and smile when thinking about CM's antics... his loss was a blow to this community.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  6. pmek5

pmek5 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2007
    I would like to enter. A very heart felt GAW. Thank you for allowing us to participate in his memory.

abbydaddy, Bigfattyt and knowtracks like this.
  7. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Not an entry, as I’ve been the fortunate recipient of this GAW twice. Both of those knives ended up in the hands of some appreciative kids, one just after he attained Eagle Scout. An absolutely terrific way to remember and honor your brother. I’d encourage everyone to enter, after all doesn’t everyone need a scout knife?

Will Power and abbydaddy like this.
  8. abbydaddy

Oct 14, 2014
    Thanks @Jack Black

Congratulations on the growing family @knifethetank, you are #1 for the kids drawing

Thanks @glennbad, someday I'll give away a knife you find irresistible. I just need to figure out what that would be, since you have given me some real treasures.

@abcdef, You are #2 for the kids

Thanks @JohnDF

We'll have to get that boy a knife @CelloDan! You are #3 for the kids drawing.

You know @meako, you have definitely given me plenty of entertainment and fun with your postings, especially in the annual forum knife discussions. And thank you for your work with fire and rescue, and educating young people. I'll make the rules extra bendy. @CelloDan can have #4 and @abcdef can have #5 for the kids, but I am also going to make you #1 for the adult drawing.

Thank you for entering @knowtracks, and thank you for sharing your story. You have #6 for the kids drawing.

CelloDan likes this.
  9. abbydaddy

Oct 14, 2014
    Thanks for entering @waynorth, Charlie, you are another member that I hope to one day manage to tempt with a GAW. Someday... In the meantime, I will take your entry on behalf of @knowtracks and make it entry #2 for the adult drawing (even though I know Dave will give it to a kid the next time we finally get to all enjoy the OKCA show).

If you think of anyone @JTB_5, speak up and I'll add an entry.

Thanks for the entry @Old Hunter, I guess that a mysterious beneficiary gets kid's entry #7

Thanks @Captvideo, you've got kid's entry #8

Thanks @HEMI 49, we have another entry in the kids drawing on behalf of mysterious beneficiary #9

Thanks for the entry @pmek5, you've got adult entry #3

Thanks @315, any time you've got a kid that deserves a good knife, let me know.

315 and JTB_5 like this.
  10. abbydaddy

Oct 14, 2014
    Congratulations on the growing family @JupiterPaladin, getting a knife from grandpa is definitely a fine thing as a boy. You've got kid's slot #10

Thanks @Trvr, and thank you to your Abby, and congratulations on your growing family :) You've got kid's slot #11

Thanks @danno50, You've got kid's slot #12

I am sorry for your loss @Bigfattyt, it is hard when a bitter twist is added to a special day. I do frequently wish that I had bought a knife from CM, even if I never had much use for most of the knives he made. It would be a good memento.

Trvr and Bigfattyt like this.
  11. abbydaddy

Oct 14, 2014
    Alright, I think I've got everyone's entries. That's 12 for the kids, and three for the grownups. I'll leave this open one more day, and do the drawing tomorrow knight. Thanks to everyone who shared and/or entered. And if anyone else feels inspired, please consider entering.

meako, knowtracks and Old Hunter like this.
  12. Getting older

Getting older

Jan 3, 2016
    I am in lost a brother to alcohol and a brother in law to drugs.....

13. euroken

euroken Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Lost my father to substance abuse a long ago. Changes you in a way you don’t really expect.

Would love to enter for my self and for my daughter 10. My son can wait couple more years :)

Thank you for this wonderful opportunity.

abbydaddy and knowtracks like this.
  14. pmek5

pmek5 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Sorry, I meant to note that I have currently have 10 grandkids. So obviously one would receive the knife if I won. Thank you @abbydaddy

15. abbydaddy

Oct 14, 2014
    I am sorry for your losses @Getting older, you have adult slot #3 (because @pmek5 decided to switch his).

Sorry for you loss, and congratulations on your family @euroken, you have adult slot #4 and kid slot #13.

Okay, I'll switch you over to the kids drawing. You have kid's slot #14.

Getting older likes this.
  16. abbydaddy

Oct 14, 2014
    Alright everyone, time for the drawing.

For the kids knife, the random generator says: 7

Congrats to @Old Hunter's mysterious beneficiary. I'll give this one a day or two to get worked out.

For the adult knife, the random generator says: 2

Congrats to @knowtracks! Pm me your address, and we'll figure out the knife you want and get it sent off to you.

Thank you to everyone who participated.

And to those who've lost loved ones, zichronam livracha, may their memory be a blessing.

peanutsxx, 315, meako and 4 others like this.
  17. euroken

euroken Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Thank you again for the opportunity and sharing your story with all of us!

Best regards!

18. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    @abbydaddy, thank you for hosting another thoughtful memorial to your brother; may he rest in eternal peace. I would like to send the knife to @pmek5 (another generous porch member) so he can choose one of his ten grandchildren. Sincerely, OH (Bruce)

315, knowtracks, abbydaddy and 2 others like this.
  19. Trvr

Trvr

Jun 21, 2020
    Congratulations winners, and thanks again @abbydaddy!

Old Hunter and knowtracks like this.
  20. knowtracks

knowtracks Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2006
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:. VERY :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Dave

Old Hunter, abbydaddy and pmek5 like this.