Memories.

Now that got me thinking about things...we may not be as far along as you (married 34 years), but every moment is icing on the cake since I almost lost her to a major heart attack. The kids have all flown the coop, and we are back to just the two of us. Thanks for the story.

There's absolutely nothing in the world, or even the universe, that makes you re-evaluate things in life like a close call. Waking up at 5am with chest pains and pain in both arms, or sitting there in a doctors office and he's saying "The results were positive, and you have type A blah blah blah cancer blah blah blah..." and all you hear is the word 'cancer' and everything that comes after that is kind of lost in the shock.

In those first moments, you realize that all those material baubles that we obsess over don't mean Jack, and Jack's on vacation in 'Vegas. The knife collection, gun collection, pet car/motorcycle project in the garage, the artwork from a certain artist on the living room walls fade away to nothing. At that single moment, all that matters is the people in your life that you love.

When the moment slammed into my consciousness that I may loose Karen, nothing in the world, and I mean nothing, mattered to me. If I had had a massive collection of Bill Moran and 10 of the other best knife makers, I'd have given it all in an instant to not have this happening. If I had a collection of original first run Colt single action armies or vintage Indian motorcycles, all would be gone in a blink of an eye for my wife to be okay. When I woke up at dawn with chest pains, all I could think of was, I hadn't told Karen that I love her yet today. When I thought I was going to die in the next minute or two, that was all I could think of, was telling my wife that I love her.

I was always a bit of a minimalist, but now at this stage of my life, material things just don't mean much to me. Yes, I still like to have a knife in my pocket, but just because I know I need one now and then. My obsession is gone, as is my other material obsessions. All that matters to me is I tell my wife that I love her every morning that I wake up, and I call my kids every single day, just to check in and tell them the same. That way, if I keel over with the big one this afternoon, nothing has been left unsaid.

Last edited:
We've had our close calls in our 42 years! But I agree with you 100% on the material "stuff" Carl!!
Thanks for sharing meaningful moments in your life!!:thumbsup:

There's a phrase for that, i believe ;
" not one day on this earth has been promised to us, so treat every day as if it were your last, and every breath as if it were the same "
I might have a few years less than you Carl, but I've been onboard with your idea of keeping accounts current for a while now. Can't quite pinpoint when it started but I thought " if I didn't come home/ wake up tomorrow, would I regret not saying anything, or would I be happy with things ? "

I almost missed that story..a very teaching one..
I live too far away of most of you guys and your tradition,your way of life,your history,your meaning of life etc etc..

But i feel that i know you almost better compared with my parents,i almost share your memories..

I believe in value of little moments and i hope this is something i will pass to my kid,insteed of nonsense consumerism today society try to pass in (first of all)last generation.

(Im far away from make my english very good,but your tales motivated me to try and relearn what i already knew as a school kid.)

Thank you sir and respect to you and your lovely wife..i wish you have a long long time together and to many tales to tell:)

I live too far away of most of you guys and your tradition,your way of life,your history,your meaning of life etc etc..

But i feel that i know you almost better compared with my parents,i almost share your memories..

I believe in value of little moments and i hope this is something i will pass to my kid,insteed of nonsense consumerism today society try to pass in (first of all)last generation.

(Im far away from make my english very good,but your tales motivated me to try and relearn what i already knew as a school kid.)

Thank you sir and respect to you and your lovely wife..i wish you have a long long time together and to many tales to tell:)
Your English is very good. I speak no Greek at all, so you are way ahead of most of us here.

You're very welcome, Holborn. Your English if fine, and I'll second what hornetguy said. I don't speak Greek, so you are way ahead of me. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

JK,I know what you mean....my brother passed on 6/19/19...cancer! I was tested...told...you have cancer! Radiation & shots....NOW just waiting to do PSA reading in Jan.

JK,I know what you mean....my brother passed on 6/19/19...cancer! I was tested...told...you have cancer! Radiation & shots....NOW just waiting to do PSA reading in Jan.
That's nasty news chap, will be praying for swift treatment and recovery for you

My wife and I are at 27+ years and counting.
I am not ashamed to say that reading that one made my chest a little tight and my eyes a moist.
Thanks for posting!

A story I almost missed as I don't always cruise all the threads in Traditional. Enjoy life to its fullest. You've earned it!

A sort piece about one of my heroes:
—————-

i am back in the radiology waiting room

for another IV and trip down MRI hell

with me there is a small frail man

skinny, haggard, face mask askew

leaning on his walker

he might be young but looks worn, ancient

he sees my Cardinals T-shirt

from somewhere deep within

his eyes brighten

and he softly says,

“Go Cubs”

7/13/18 LV
COPYRIGHT MICHAEL DOUGLAS SCOTT

Wow. Yes. Everyday is gravy, and each sunrise and sunset is a blessing.

And our loved ones who have passed, live on in our memories.

A great thread.

Thank you, and God Bless.

I just wonder how things have worked out for Justice Ginsberg with pancreatic cancer. It is one of the worst forms of cancer, but apparently the radiation treatment worked. My Mother died from pancreatic cancer. The world does stop when you get news like this in terms of what's important.

J jackknife I find it interesting how husbands and wives sort of grow together over time... inseparable. I guess that's why when a spouse dies, the remaining spouse frequently dies within a short time. My Dad was the exception as he remarried. But he was totally miserable for a good while.

Last edited:
I just wonder how things have worked out for Justice Ginsberg with pancreatic cancer. It is one of the worst forms of cancer, but apparently the radiation treatment worked. My Mother died from pancreatic cancer. The world does stop when you get news like this in terms of what's important.

J jackknife I find it interesting how husbands and wives sort of grow together over time... inseparable. I guess that's why when a spouse dies, the remaining spouse frequently dies within a short time. My Dad was the exception as he remarried. But he was totally miserable for a good while.

Vonnegut called that a duprass.

Back