Merkur

I switched over to shaving with a double-edge razor about two years ago after researching it on this site: http://shaveblog.com, and have been enjoying a better shave ever since. I've pretty much stuck with Merkur razors the whole time.

Do any of you guys shave with a DE blade? And if so what do you use?

Merkur razors are second to none but their blades are OK but nothing more.Myself I opt for Feather then Derby.

I mostly straight razor shave, but when time doesn't permit I use a double edge. I'm rather fond of an old butterfly-style Gillette that I picked up at an antique store for $5.00. The best thing is, it came with a pack of vintage Wilkinson Sword blades! Typically I just use Persona blades from Wal*Mart. They work well enough for me. Might have to try some Feather and Derby blades at some point considering all the talk about them. :)

I think half the difference is using a brush and good soap, too. Say no to canned goop! ;)

Merkur Futur here. I've been using Derby blades lately.

I've seen the Futur criticized for being too heavy. It's the only DE I've every used, so, as far as I'm concerned, this is how heavy a DE razor is. I guess that I just don't know any better.

I've seen the Futur criticized for being too long. But, it's shorter than the Sensor I used for twenty-some years. And, again, this is the only DE razor I've ever used so, as far as I know, this is how long DE razors are. I guess that I just don't know any better.

I've seen the Futur criticized as too big. But I find that it is so well-designed that I have no problems in the tightest of places. It's better under my nose than my Sensor ever was. And, again, it's the only DE razor I've ever used; so, as far as I know, this is how big DE razors are. I guess that I just don't know any better.

I've heard the Futur criticized as slippery. I have the polished chrome model. I have had no problems... as long as my hands aren't soapy. Just water-wet hands are no problem at all.

It's easy to change the blade and easy to clean and obviously built to last a lifetime. So, I like it.

I use a bunch of different razors, and the Merkurs (HD and 38C) are very nice with just the right balance between being aggressive and mild. The only ones I think are better are my Gillette '58 Superspeed which I think gives a slightly better shave, and my Muhle R89 which has the best fit and finish but is pretty aggressive.

I use an HD mostly (best freakin shave ever), have a Futur that's really nice too. Lately I have been trying a straight. It's a lot of fun to try, but it will be a long time before I am as good with a straight as I am with my HD.

I use the Merkur Heavy Duty and really like it. I used to use the standard Merkur razor but it actually SNAPPED IN HALF while I was using it. It didn't even seem to have rusted through. I guess keeping it in a ziploc bag with moisture in it while I was travelling this summer was not a good idea.

I've heard good things about Persona blades in terms of value for money, but am worried about the feathers being too sharp. I'll check out the derby blades.

Merkur razors are second to none but their blades are OK but nothing more.Myself I opt for Feather then Derby.

Once upon a time I worked for Gillette and was on its shave test panels to check QC from its worldwide plants and from competitors. At that time, all those blades were DE.

After years away from DE blades (Gillette also owns Braun, you know), I came back about a year ago. G doesn't offer DE except in the third world, so I now use a Mercur HD. However, while it works fine, the quality is less than perfect as the chrome is peeling.

As for blades, the Feather stainless that I get here in Japan is unbelievably better than anything I have ever used.

DE guy here also, l sort of do a random rotation with the razors that I have. HD and Fatboy see a lot of use, when I want to go real aggressive it's my Muhle-Pinsel R-41 open comb, great shave but if your not careful you can really feel the heat. Others that I posess are the Gold tech, HD Open comb, 2 70's black handle superspeeds, 40's superspeed, gem micromatic (single edge), gillette super adjustable and Superspeed red tip. They all see some use, as their is no rhyme or reason to my rotation. I just try to go one blade( 3-4 shaves) in a row with a razor, then I switch or not. Variety is definitely part of the fun. As for blades the derby is definitely the best balanced blade out there, sharp, smooth, and last's as well as any.

I also use the standard Merkur double edge safety razor, I've been using for about a year now and will never go back to disposables again, started with the Merkur blades and have moved to the sharp stainless, 100 blades for 20.00 compared to 20 blades for the same money, their not quite the same quality though, still a better value. I've got a pure badger brush but going to move up to a silver tip soon. I use Omega soap from Italy and love it, last forever, a 5.5oz. bowl has lasted over a year now. The whole shaving routine has become so much more tolerable.

Usually, I'll shave with a straight (open) razor. However, I have a few of the older Gillette Superspeeds and Adjustables. I've also got a Merkur Progress that I really like using.

For DE blades, I've found that the best for me (so far) are the ones called "Israeli Personna" or "IP" blades. So called, because they're made in a plant in Israel. It's been determined that these are also marketed as "Crystal" blades. I've got an order in for "Iridium Super" blades that I hope live up to the reviews I've read on some wetshaving forums.

I use a Merkur myself, but usually buy Gillette blade because thats the ones my supermarket has.

I use a Merkur myself, but usually buy Gillette blade because thats the ones my supermarket has.

Start buying them on-line, not only is the choice vast but the savings you'll make will be vast too:thumbup:

Merker 38C, Feather blades, Shavemac badger brush, I won't get into creams, soaps and aftershaves!

Merkur puts out some good quality stuff, but I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to personal grooming. If it'll pay off in the end, I'll take it.

With that said, I usually just stick with a Parker safety razor I picked up for about $30, and I got a 100 pack of Derbys for $18. The only thing I splurged on would be the badger hair brush, which came out to roughly $45. Shaving soap has been whatever's cheap and doesn't dry up the skin. Been kind of curious as to where I might find Proraso Green. Heard they sell it at Target, but have yet to find it.

DE here to. I've got several...probably 20 in all double edge razors. Mostly all gillettes with a few stahly's and other thrown in. My fav is probably a slim. I like my fat boys, but i just feel like the slim fits in my hand better.

Something else that i've found to get pretty decent shaves is an injector. If i'm really pressed for time i'll grab an injector. I leave an adjustable injector in my roation all the time.

I'm on my thrid Merkur Visin since the first two broke due to very poor QC and shoddy internal parts. The first one broke pretty close to NIB and the second one snapped after a few years of normal usage. Good thing these have 15 year warranties. Had a few bad cuts from it as well since the blade height adjust can loosen by itself.

I'm not impressed with Merkur DE blades and have found drug-store replacement blades to be of higher quality.

If anyone wants to test DE razors, just go on eBay and look for Gillette safety razor. You can get them for $5-10. Look for either a Fatboy or an adjustable. They are made of brass and have already survived a lifetime.

I'm on my thrid Merkur Visin since the first two broke due to very poor QC and shoddy internal parts. The first one broke pretty close to NIB and the second one snapped after a few years of normal usage. Good thing these have 15 year warranties. Had a few bad cuts from it as well since the blade height adjust can loosen by itself.

I'm not impressed with Merkur DE blades and have found drug-store replacement blades to be of higher quality.

If anyone wants to test DE razors, just go on eBay and look for Gillette safety razor. You can get them for $5-10. Look for either a Fatboy or an adjustable. They are made of brass and have already survived a lifetime.

Sometimes people on ebay get a little crazy, scan your local antique stores. Alot of times you can find really nice razors for nothing. I payed $35 for my first fatboy off ebay.....two days later i found one in mint condition with the box for $5 at an antique shop.....it never hurts to look.

Those Visions seem to have a lot of troubles. There are more threads at Badger and Blade about problems with them than any other razor. I've even seen one retailer who cautions that Visions are for people who don't mind tinkering with them and doing routine maintenance to keep them going.

Back