Messed up my new Emerson

Howdy!

I finally bought myself an Emerson!
A CQC-7BW.
KIMG0023_zpsghsbdvme.jpg

Bought it "moderately" used while on vacation.
It's got some scratches on the clip, a chip or two on the scales, and a chip near the beginning of the Tanto.
Well centered with no play at all.
I've never owned a chisel-grind before, or an Emerson.
Got home, figured I'd try to fix the chip.
I figured I could handle it.

Well..... When I went to sharpen it, I went to use the same angle I normally use on all my other knives. (I freehand).
Lo and behold, I was WAY too acute, and scratched the HELL out of the Tanto.
The grind lines aren't exactly perfect either.

So...my question.
Would you:
A-Not care whatsoever
B-Not care and use it "differently" (Harder use, maybe as a beater)
C-Send it to Ernie and pay for a new blade
D-Use some sort of magic to fix the scratches
?????????
KIMG0025_zpsiyr8kmjo.jpg

I would take scotch bright and pull it over the problem toward the edge until it blends. Then try to work the edge again. If this doesn"t give you the results you want....send it in....or beat on it. I would not work the primary grind on a stone, might cause more problems than you want, judging from your sharpening attempt. At least you gave it the old school try, as far as sharpening (its all cosmetic in the end)! Just keep working at it...live and learn, you will get better

Last edited:
Did you buy the knife to use, or to look at? If you bought it to look at better send it in and get it fixed. If you bought it to use, then use it. There is nothing there that will keep it from cutting just fine. Years from now that will just be one of many small marks that make it not just a knife, but "Your Knife".

O.B.

I would take scotch bright and pull it over the problem toward the edge until it blends. Then try to work the edge again. If this doesn"t give you the results you want....send it in....or beat on it. I would not work the primary grind on a stone, might cause more problems than you want, judging from your sharpening attempt. At least you gave it the old school try, as far as sharpening (its all cosmetic in the end)! Just keep working at it...live and learn, you will get better
Thanks for the kind words.
I'm obviously not fantastic at sharpening, but it's not very often that I screw up a knife. Only other one I messed up was my beater Adamas, and I DEFINITELY wasnt being careful with that one. :D
I'm thinking about that scotch brite idea.

Did you buy the knife to use, or to look at? If you bought it to look at better send it in and get it fixed. If you bought it to use, then use it. There is nothing there that will keep it from cutting just fine. Years from now that will just be one of many small marks that make it not just a knife, but "Your Knife".

O.B.
Bought to use

Well, it sounds like cosmetic damage annoys you like it does me. I don't mind normal wear and tear so much, but damage like that drives me nuts.

The scratches are no big deal. but the edge/bevel looks like it is all over the place. You might contact one of the professional sharpeners on the forum. I doubt you have to go with a new blade.

Last edited:
If it bothers you, get a re grind on the blade. There's a few guys here that do great work. The knife is worth a regrind. But its just cosmetic so you could use it and let time and wear sort things out for you.

Also try sharpening the blade at around 25-28 degrees. I sometimes go 30

Cheaper than a new blade would be to send it to Josh at REK to reset the secondary bevel to a nice, crisp line. He can probably buff out the scratches at the same time. Send him a pic and get his advice on it.

I love it when I get a nice big ugly scratch on a blade. Do you know why? Because then I can actually use it. Turns out the more scratches the blade gets the more I like it and use it . Ever get a nice new car and when you finally make a crease in the car you stop worrying abouyt parking next to folks at the supermarket parking lot? Then you stop worrying about the car and stop waxing it every weekend .

That is why you see so many perfect unused knives for sale on the exchange. I had a Shiro I loved but could not get myself to use it. So I sold it. But for me it was the prefect knife and only if I would have done something like you did with your Emerson I

Sometimes these things happening can be a blessing in disguise.

So my answer is use it!

Last edited:
Emersons are best used not looked at. I get great joy out of using my Emerson cqc7 it is just such a tough awesome knife.

It's up to you, its your knife. One of my favourite knives to use is a cqc7 that I learned to sharpen on.

Last edited:
Emersons are meant to be used so I say just use and enjoy it.

In my opinion, as long as the edge is as sharp as you're happy with, use the crap out of it! Emersons, as others have said, shine under use, and have an ethos of hard use ability over cosmetic concern. So enjoy it!

Back