Messed up my new Emerson

I think you're good to go, my man! Just beat on it now that it already has some character.

Over time it's going to look like that, anyway. Enjoy your knife!

I use my knives and a whole host of other tools, but never " beat on them" as some describe, yes wear marks from use are find and give tools character. I think what may bother you is the fact you made a mistake sharpening the blade and every time you look at the results, it reminds you of what you did. It wasn't from use but from wrong angle of sharpening.

I would send it back to Emerson or one of the BF members that have been mentioned to get those nasty scratches out. When you get it back use it appropriately and practice sharpening a chisel grind on maybe an old chisel until you get the angle correct. Emerson designed his chisel grind knives to be able to sharpen easily in the field with basic abrasives just feel the angle when the knife edge comes in contact with the shapenening stone.
Good luck and we all make these type of mistakes, don't beat on yourself too much over it.

An easy way to correctly match the factory angle, or any edge angle for that matter, is to always first blacken the shiny part with a Magic Marker.
Make a couple light passes with a stone and see how much/where the Black is removed. Adjust the sharpening angle accordingly so that after a few more passes, all the Black is removed evenly. That's a perfect matched angle. Continue sharpening until you get a burr on the backside and then repeat for the other side. A final stropping and you're set.
I sharpen a lot of Alpine skis, where even fractions of one degree are critical to the way the ski cuts through snow. Doing the above marking technique works well for that and also all my knives, where's there's a lot more leeway.
Difference for Chisel ground blades is only one side (beveled) gets the stone.
Flat backside only gets a stropping.

Once you *get it* as far as sharpening your own knives and tools/skis, it's a damn satisfying feeling when it works well while using it.
Not counting the money saved...

Last edited:
I could've sworn I posted in this thread already. Guess not.

Um, just wanted to add that, scratching and polishing are technically the same technique/movement, using varying levels of intensity/pressure and abrasiveness.

100% scratched surface = polished!

It'll probably disappear with use.. if you really enjoy using it. Should buff right out.. someday.

Send it to one of the guys that does regrinds and have him fix the blade if it bugs you, it would only be a light pass to restore the surface finish and reestablish the grind lines. I dropped my 15 tip down on the ceramic tile in the kitchen. It blunted the tip, and still use the hell out of it. It was bought new on the Exchange, the seller had it and decided it wasn't for him, so I got it for a good price. Enjoy the knife, the 7 IS a cool knife, despite so many hater comments.

If I bought a user knife like that, I would just use it. Nobody will pay attention to those scratches but another knife nut . And he ll think it s a hard use knife and think more of you and the knife because of the scratches.

Must be the season. I recently got a Super Commander, worse yet, in Black Cerakote from Emerson. I am starting to add Wicked Edge sharpening to my skillset and service offerings - I am starting a small business, don't ask why - and after sharpening a handful of "practice" blades with no problem, decided to work on the Emmie. Effed it up way worse than yours; I went from pristine to having all kinds of scratches - the clamps slipped, left trench marks; I overshot angles, left channels; it's a horror show. I'm so torn: a large part of me wants to smash the knife with a sledge in the driveway, so I never have to see it again, and see how badly I effed it. I've actually had it sitting on a towel in the drive with a sledge in my hands...

I swear the knife has bad karma. I've never, never, done so much damage to a knife - and I started sharpening freehand when I was 12 or 13. Even reprofiling on a power bench grinder when I was 15 I didn't make this kind of mistake. Really rookie, really ugly, really makes me feel like a complete and total horse's arse.

I'm going to continue to use it for a bit. I'm working on putting a broader secondary edge that is mirror polished on it; so I get practice remounting the knife in the sharpener to match angles precisely. I contacted Josh at REK; he suggested that a stonewash could be done fairly reasonably, and that would probably take care of the scratches. I'm sure that he could also come up with a reasonable way to put an entire Cerakoting on the blade. I don't have the cash for it now, it will have to wait - but Josh is a high-order Wizard, I've had him do work for me before. I would have him do the work before I ever contacted Emerson, btw.

I had previously put a new titanium pivot screw and standoffs on the knife. The pivot screw was blue; the first time Simichrome touched it, all anodizing came off in 2 seconds, with one wipe of the cloth. I called Emerson about their hardware - bought the stuff off their site - and was literally told that my pivot screw was still blue, and that I just couldn't see. But, the guy said, if I'm going to raise so much fuss, he'll send me a new one, maybe I'll like that one better. But, he warned me, what I described was literally impossible, and couldn't be happening.

Good luck with your Emmie. If I'm in a bad enough frame of mind someday, I'll post pics of my mess.
Hey, I posted my mess...

Send it off for a Zero Grind
They look cool, but the edge is awfully fragile.
If I bought a user knife like that, I would just use it. Nobody will pay attention to those scratches but another knife nut . And he ll think it s a hard use knife and think more of you and the knife because of the scratches.
Good point.

I have heard really good stories first hand with folks sending them in to Ernie...He will treat you right, adjust lock-up and you will get it back like new...LET ERNIE DECIDE what it needs, but by all means state your concerns in detail.

Will Ernie care about one lil CQC7? Well, the Bible teaches that the Shepard leaves the flock to search for one that is lost and greater is the joy when that one that is lost becomes found.

Ernie has got a bad rap in customer service at times because people send in knives for warranty claims for meaningless fit and finish issues and before ya'll jump me on that I have 3 Emersons and 9 ZT's so I know the difference...You have good reason to send it in and again, Ernie WANTS them sent in for mechanical and function issues. I don't have any fit and finish issues with my Emersons, I have ZT's for that niche. Get it fixed so you can enjoy that chisel grind steel...nothing else quite like it.

3B

Just cut some cardboard boxes and the whole blade will be covered with light scratches.

n2s

If its sharp and she cuts the way you want.. who cares.. its character... continue on with your missions....

Emerson secondaries are garbage plane and simple, all of the chisels I have gotten from EKI have been around 33-35 degrees according to my angle cube while hooked up the Wicked Edge. Start around 35 and then work your way down, I did the exact same thing when sharpening my first Emerson started at like 24 and messed it up, they can be fixed if you have diamond stones and allot of patience however.

Back