Metal frame pistol recommendations and discussion

For me it's a much about how it looks, what it's made from, and how it feels. Metal is just better. With only just a few I'm looking to hopefully score yet another beretta next week.

After that I'm thinking more 1911s might be in my future,

Old school is just better.

Can't go wrong with a 1911.

As far as other metal framed models go, I didn't see anyone mention the Jericho 941...

Personally, I have one plastic 9mm, and some older Smith and Wesson revolvers. I don't mind plastic.

I was recently looking for a full-sized 9mm and, after much internet homework, was lucky enough to find a range with a Beretta, a CZ, and a Sig 226. My expectation was that I would like the CZ, but for me it was the Sig by a large margin. Ended up finding a deal on a used Scorpion and couldn't be happier. YMMV

Colt Lightweight Commander in .45 ACP served me well for many years. My CZ was perhaps the most accurate production semi-auto that I've owned.
All of that said, Yeah, I carry 9mm Glocks: models 43, 26, 19 and 17...depending on environment.

I think it really depends on what you are looking for. Weight, size, capacity, caliber... target shooting, duty carry, hunting, cc, etc.

I love my K9 with wood grips, but it is then as thick and heavy as a double stack polymer in a similar size... At least around the grips. If they came out with an aluminum frame double stack version of the K9 I would definitely be interested.

Smith and Wesson had some aluminum and/or steel frame SA/DA pistols I wouldn't mind having, but the only one I HAD to get was the 1006 (steel)... and later a 1911 clone in 10mm.

I really like my aluminum frame M9, but it is a big, fat, pistol for a 9mm. The slide safety can be thumbed off without changing your grip, unlike the old Springfield's (at least with semi- large hands). Plus, I think it is a joy to shoot.

I never really got into the Sig craze, but that doesn't mean I won't get one in the future. I hear a lot of pro- steel frame cc guys like the Bersa. I wouldn't mind picking up an aluminum frame 4" 1911 clone with a steel feeding ramp on the barrel like Springfield's. Even the Baby Eagles look interesting (slide is inside frame instead of over/outside).

Then there are always revolvers...

Although I rented many polymer pistols, my first polymer purchase was an HK USP45. After putting a few thousand rounds through that I had no ill will towards polymer pistols.

Back