Metal VS plastic dust deputy

For those of you that are using dust deputys, metal or plastic? If you're using a dust deputy, are you also using a spark bong?

Also interested in any knife making specific dust deputy setup pictures.

Currently debating picking up the steel super dd, mounting a 1.5hp blower right on top, doing a short run of 6" steel duct to the grinder, keeping as much of the system horizontal as possible. No spark bong, a short vertical run out of the window and into a metal garbage can. Only concern is blowing out the motor due high amperage from the low resistance, going to pick up one of those clamping multimeters to make sure all is well.

I use a couple plastic ones, the cheap versions from China. They work great inline. By the time sparks reach the plastic they have cooled enough.

I use a couple plastic ones, the cheap versions from China. They work great inline. By the time sparks reach the plastic they have cooled enough.

How much duct do you have between the platen and the DDs? The price difference between the plastic xl and metal xl is like $50, so I'll probably just do it anyway.

i kinda burned/melted a plastic one a few years ago :rolleyes: i did not know i was supposed to put some water in it and the sparks partially ignited the metal dust on the bottom and also clump that got stuck to the side. it seems like static electricity builds up inside and makes the dust cling to the inside. the clumps were red like coals, they were not actually on fire. the plastic burned/melted and i could smell it upstairs in the house before anything really bad happened. based on that experience i would not use a plastic cyclone at all for metal.

As I recall, when I used it on my grinder I had 6-8' of dryer vent between the grinder and the dust bucket. Yes, water in the bottom would help, but I usually had firebrick dust in the bottom.

Is anyone familiar with these separators? Little bit more affordable than the oneida options, and they have a 6" inlet unlike oneida's metal version. http://cycloneseparator.com/store
Maker and owner, his name is Gary. Very nice, and very knowledgeable. As good or better than the big names. Your just not paying for the name!!! I am having one being made now. I'm getting a medium sized one and mounting a HF 1hp collector directly on top of it. He sells hundreds of them on eBay.

Jim

Maker and owner, his name is Gary. Very nice, and very knowledgeable. As good or better than the big names. Your just not paying for the name!!! I am having one being made now. I'm getting a medium sized one and mounting a HF 1hp collector directly on top of it. He sells hundreds of them on eBay.

Jim

Oh interesting, how much are the modifications costing you? My only reservation with the 6" model is how big it is, especially when mounted on a can. It would be perfect if I can get the medium version modified with 6" inlet/outlets and top mounting the Shopfox w1685

Last edited:
Give him a call or email. He will tell you what will and will not work. I wanted to try a smaller unit with a 1hp dust collector. I had to go with the medium sized one.

Attachments

• 8222018173953.jpg
    8222018173953.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 16
I had a fire in 4 inch plastic earlier this year. If you have not seen ABS plastic burn when there is suction on the line, you have missed something scary. Once it gets started you won't put it out.
Metal from end to end next time.

The thing to do is to EMPTY your container”s” after working Wood or any other flammable Materials, then grind your steel and you will be fine with it.. I did have a fire once after grinding a bunch of Iron Wood and then grinding a load of Carbon steel.. Duh!!! it Made for some intense moments running for the fire extinguisher when smoke started pouring out of my collectior system... Have Fun! Be Safe!!

Back