Micarta Modern Folders

Otto Carpenter

Gold Member
Why so few micarta scales? We got G-10, carbon fiber and Ti up the whazoo. Personally, I think micarta feels great in hand and looks terrific, but outside of Liong Mah's Lanny Clip, I can't even come up with another production modern folder with micarta handles.

The only reason I can think of is that the material's not easy to work with. Maybe it doesn't do well in the CNC? Thoughts?

I just ordered a Benchmade Proper as I really liked the micarta scales. I got the green ones.
The Proper is actually a traditional slipjoint with a modern flair - like the Lionsteel Shuffler or Roundhead. Modern folders are usually locking and deployed one-handed.

The Proper is actually a traditional slipjoint with a modern flair - like the Lionsteel Shuffler or Roundhead. Modern folders are usually locking and deployed one-handed.

I know and it isn't "modern" but rather a modern twist on an old school knife but it does fold and it is micarta, lol.

Sebenza has inlays
Hinderer did make some scales
John W. Smith has made some
Fellhoelter made some
So they are out there and certainly in the custom section.
Not sure if Micarta is as ridged as G10 or not and may be better with a liner

Knifeworks Exclusive 551-1702 Benchmade Griptilian - Micarta & M390.
That one escaped my notice, but that black paper micarta handle looks indistinguishable from G-10 (to me, judging from the image at KW). I suppose what I'm thinking of is a canvas, linen or burlap texture.

Sebenza has inlays
Hinderer did make some scales
John W. Smith has made some
Fellhoelter made some
So they are out there and certainly in the custom section.
Not sure if Micarta is as ridged as G10 or not and may be better with a liner
Yeah, rigidity is probably the limiter, now that you mention it. Good point.

I always assumed it was because of ridgidity. However then folders with a liner under the micarta should’t be an issue.

Last edited:
EnZo Birk 75 has a couple of micarta offerings. It's also a great knife.
Excellent suggestion, thanks.
Just picked up a natural canvas micarta D2 from DLT and am definitely looking forward to another Scandi grind folder.
There's also a sweet looking Birk dressed in ivory micarta on the site that was extremely tempting.

Statgear Ausus is a more budget friendly folder with micarta scales, the Buck Open Season Skinner folder has 'em and, on the high end side, you can get a Koenig Arius with micarta. You can also get the Viper Ten or Dan in a really nice maroon micarta and the Steel Will Gekko has micarta options as well.

MCusta offers Micarta on many of their models. Black Micarta and VG10 core 33 layer damascus is
a nice combination.

Oh, and while there are a bunch of great options in this thread, I would love to see micarta as an option on more folders. It manages to be grippy without being abrasive and has a really nice warmth to it that FRN, G10 and metal handles just don't.

I really don’t know why Micarta seems to have become a fixed blade thing and g10 a folder thing. Maybe that is just the way the universe evolved?

So maybe there is a parallel universe where it is rare to see g10 on a folder.

Back