Micarta Modern Folders

Micarta monochunk, aka TM-1

View attachment 895823

I have to agree.
I love the monolithic micarta on the TM1

2_CB56_B6_A-65_CD-4_CEE-_AA33-_D55_A92_D0_ABB4.jpg

To a large extent, it's moved beyond its origins as a brand name, to being a generic term for certain types of composite material.
Yeah, it's like Kleenex or Sea-Doo at this point. Epoxy based fibrous composite just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Looks like "ACE" will be their budget line - this being the first in that line, the "Biblio." Agree, it looks good - a scaled-down GM1. No indication of price or steel on their site.
I thought it was their diffusion, econo line until I read on the Giant Mouse Instagram account that it will be in M390. The previous GM knives were produced in limited numbers never to be produced again but the Ace line is intended to be a regularly available production line. And, due to the scale of production will be less expensive.

To a large extent, it's moved beyond its origins as a brand name, to being a generic term for certain types of composite material.

Yea but it creates problems when determining what the base material is and whether it was made by micarta, homemade or other. Since it's composite it would be better to say linen composite, Carbon composite etc.
I ran into the need for differentiation when doing pool cue repairs that required use of micarta brand linen phenolic for authenticity for valuation, they provide material data sheets some mfg do not.

Yea but it creates problems when determining what the base material is and whether it was made by micarta, homemade or other. Since it's composite it would be better to say linen composite, Carbon composite etc.
I ran into the need for differentiation when doing pool cue repairs that required use of micarta brand linen phenolic for authenticity for valuation, they provide material data sheets some mfg do not.
Isn't this why some knife makers specify a material as Westinghouse Micarta? To distinguish formulaic Micarta from generic micarta?

Isn't this why some knife makers specify a material as Westinghouse Micarta? To distinguish formulaic Micarta from generic micarta?
As noted micarta is being used as a broad generic term for composite materials which is a misnomer. Micarta is just a brand name. In the cue industry the reference is linen phenolic, paper phenolic etc. it is never referred to as micarta unless the brand is specifically designated then it is micarta linen phenolic.
Knifemakers can use whatever terminology they wish but it can tend to be misleading. Example g10 is a fiberglass composite that can be made by micarta or another maker. In my opinion it would be better to clarify the use of this terminology.

Looks like "ACE" will be their budget line - this being the first in that line, the "Biblio." Agree, it looks good - a scaled-down GM1. No indication of price or steel on their site.

Reading through the comments it will be m390 steel at a price of $175. The micarta one will go quick everyone seems to be drooling over it. Blade size seems to be just under 3” based on one comment but don’t quote me on that part.

Reading through the comments it will be m390 steel at a price of $175. The micarta one will go quick everyone seems to be drooling over it. Blade size seems to be just under 3” based on one comment but don’t quote me on that part.
GM is bringing a lot (however much "a lot" is) to Blade, so these will begin circulating. More models to come out during the Summer and Fall.

I’m very tempted on the new ACE model from GM. It looks great. Nice thing is it’s no longer a limited run so I can wait for the reviews to hit without risking them selling out.

It don't get much more micarta than this, 3 kinds of micarta and G10 on one knife, a custom JD Ellis Lanny's Clip.

ETA what type of micarta was used :

Natural Canvas Micarta scales with Maroon Linen Micarta Bolsters and Red Paper Micarta Liners on top of a Blue G10 frame.

XWAo5JK.jpg
nCSFJVO.jpg
o1882eh.jpg
o1qYYNO.jpg
gnwqnGj.jpg
ta0IFZ3.jpg

Last edited:
Back