Micarta Monday - Traditional Knives Only, Please

Thanks for the approvals, keep going from one to another :D

The Yew is just in the lead and it's two slabs- enough & more for the Bullnose scales. However, it has some fissures or holes which of course can be filled with epoxy but will have to see how it behaves once the artisan gets to work on it.

The Olive wood is a block :D Enough for probably 3 Bullnoses or more :cool: so if the Yew proves tricky I think I'll ask him to use this. But then.....;):eek:

Maybe one side Yew the other Olive ? ;) Whatever, it'll be an American made knife with either English wood (for bows) or Ancient Mediterranean wood (for food & oil) based on the Sodbuster which was originally a German knife....:thumbsup:

I'll be the lone wolf and say noooooooo...
I'd say to find a run-of-the-mill Delrin version to mod and preserve the beautiful Micarta.
But that's just me... you gotta do you. :):thumbsup:

AAAARGGHHH! Not another aspect in the equation of indecision :eek::)

The Muslin micarta is not that marvellous in the hand, it feels a bit odd and even greasy ....

However, if a generous Forum member would like to donate their Orange delrin to me ;) I'll reprieve the Muslin :D and yet...

I have lots of black Bucks. But in the meantime,
UwEiubl.jpg

The Yew is just in the lead and it's two slabs- enough & more for the Bullnose scales. However, it has some fissures or holes which of course can be filled with epoxy but will have to see how it behaves once the artisan gets to work on it.

The Olive wood is a block :D Enough for probably 3 Bullnoses or more :cool: so if the Yew proves tricky I think I'll ask him to use this. But then.....;):eek:

Maybe one side Yew the other Olive ? ;) Whatever, it'll be an American made knife with either English wood (for bows) or Ancient Mediterranean wood (for food & oil) based on the Sodbuster which was originally a German knife....:thumbsup:
An international Sodbuster to be sure...
IMO the Yew has a slightly more interesting look but Olive Wood being the epitome of classic wood is just a better fit on an ultra classic pattern like a Sodbuster, therefore it gets my vote, FWIW.
I am hoping we don't get in trouble talkin' wood in a micarta thread. :eek:;)
Have a good evening Will.

RcSk0uI.jpg

As it's spring beckoning, animals tend to start moulting and start a new coat. This Muslin Micarta is soon to shed its coat in favour of wood garb :cool:

Quandry: which to choose?? Olive Wood block top or English Yew slabs bottom? Vexing :D

Regards, Will

While our opinions maybe be olive-the-place, it is clear that the choice is up to yew.

Why not keep the muslin as liners, and then have a "bolster" of olive and the bottom of yew?

Actually I don't think that would be a lovely, but it would make use of all the materials.

I like the yew best, personally.

Happy Monday!
56 and 78
2 of my favorite shields. I'd like to see either shield on an 85 someday.
LKU86CB.jpg
[/QUOTE

Great minds....:cool:

Got EXACTLY the same pair, that's another good advert for Spears;) but I have to confess I took the strop to the bolsters, I like a shiner :D

Thanks, Will

Back