micarta smell?

Forumites must have some great noses. Mine doesn't smell? At least not today. I will check tomorrow.
sal

Guys, you should have seen the face of the guy behind the desk at my local hunting-store when I started sniffing on the Zowada Spydie he had just handed over to me...ROTFL

I love the smell of micarta! Yea, all of my micarta knives stink, some more than others, but I love them for it! In fact, I keep all of my micarta knives in one compartmented container in my safe. Every now and then, when my wife's not looking, I'll open the safe to lift the lid on the container with the micarta knives in it and....ahhh! Just like in the original classic movie, "Airplane", I always say to myself, "man, I picked a fine day to stop sniffing 'carta!" HEHE!

Oh man! I just ordered a fishing knife with a micarta grip. My wife is already pretty suspicious about my, as she sees it, less than essential pursuits. One whiff of that knife, if you guys are to be believed, and her doubts regarding my uncivilized tendencies will be confirmed. Or should I say, proven. I smell trouble, just around the corner.

One of our R & D guys says the base compound of micarta has a urea type smell on its own and can also pick up other smells. Maybe we could add a rose smell, or banana or...?
salg

I think I will lay mine in a bed of cedar shavings, should be very nice then...

Calypso Jr, almost at my door...

------------------
Check out the future possible Spyderco Worker 2000 www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/000224.html

One may want to keep an Eye out for my review of the Bob Kasper designed, Kevin Gentile modified AFCK and interview of Bob Kasper. Sorry about the wait, my review and interview should be online shortly, luckily Spark has graciously offered to do the pictures, look for it right here at BladeForums.com.

Marion David Poff ska Eye, one can msg me at mdpoff@hotmail.com

"A journey of a thousand miles begins but with a single step" Lao-Tzu

David, I skinned him to test out my Native, he was pretty fat, so it was a good test of the handle security pattern.

That's why I have the shavings laying around, don't need them anymore...

------------------
Check out the future possible Spyderco Worker 2000 www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/000224.html

One may want to keep an Eye out for my review of the Bob Kasper designed, Kevin Gentile modified AFCK and interview of Bob Kasper. Sorry about the wait, my review and interview should be online shortly, luckily Spark has graciously offered to do the pictures, look for it right here at BladeForums.com.

Marion David Poff ska Eye, one can msg me at mdpoff@hotmail.com

"A journey of a thousand miles begins but with a single step" Lao-Tzu

When I read this thread, I thought to myself, "OK these guys need to fill up some of their free time...."

Well, I just got a Calypso Jr (Thanks Chad!) and I washed the knife in hot soapy water to clean out a little debris in the action and sure enough this very pungent odor arose from my knife. Not sure how to describe it but the hot water definitely brought out the smell.

It lessened a lot after the knife dried off. The smell doesn't bother me, it's just interesting that it happens. My guess is the hot water activated part of the epoxy resin and urea would be a good guess.

Viva Micarta!

------------------

~Greg~

Serious question, yet humorous too! ROTFL!
biggrin.gif

Any knowlegble person want to start a handle material thread in the general forum regarding relative merits of various materials? That is the serious part, now for the funny part. I can hardly wait to see some brave soul ask Mad Dog about the smell of his special composite handles!
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Donald (edited 02 April 1999).]

Back