• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Michael Sastre, River City Sheaths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody is suing someone in another state over a few hundred dollars. Anyone who takes your money promising to initiate some kind of legal action over this is actually using that money to purchase crack and smoke it under the bridge with their fellow crack heads. Nobody is going to federal prison over this type of dispute, ever, never ever gonna ever happen. That is a fantasy scenario. Law enforcement is gonna say this is a civil dispute. They will say we don’t get involved in civil disputes. They are gonna say we don’t have jurisdiction. The only solution to this problem is if the guy returns the knife. Whether that happens depends on how much he values his reputation. That’s all there is to this. I really hope you get it back, and thanks for posting this.
Thank you!

I mostly agree with you, but believe it's incorrect that the Post Office does not care about and never pursues mail fraud on "small" matters such as soliciting and receiving money for purchase of Priority Mail postage and choosing to keep the money instead of mailing as promised or refunding. I am also aware that they also make themselves concerned about use of the mail to obtain property or money by fraud, but the postal money that was defrauded is, if I had to pick one, perhaps the bigger to them.

Where there does become a question is "willful" or intent. The failure to return the knife could arguably be procrastination rather than willful fraud, but the continued keeping of the Postal money is, at this present moment, a willful choice demonstrating intent to keep and therefore I think is sound fraud evidence. We will see if the Post Office agrees.

Last edited:
Thank you!

I mostly agree with you, but believe it's incorrect that the Post Office does not care about and never pursues mail fraud on "small" matters such as soliciting and receiving money for purchase of Priority Mail postage and choosing to keep the money instead of mailing as promised or refunding. I am also aware that they also make themselves concerned property obtained by fraud, but the postal money that was defrauded is, if I had to pick one, perhaps the bigger to them.

Where there does become a question is "willful" or intent. The failure to return the knife could arguably be procrastination rather than willful fraud, but the continued keeping of the Postal money is, at this present moment, a willful choice demonstrating intent to keep and therefore I think is sound fraud evidence. We will see if the Post Office agrees.

And Mike, if you're reading: refunding the postage money without returning the knife I will argue to be evidence you don't intend to return it. If you did so intend, you'd purchase the postage and mail my property. So that's what you need to do to make this good, whether you care about your reputation or doing the right thing or not, almost everyone cares about consequences to them and it would be an error to think nothing can happen to you for this.

Last edited:
I think it is very telling that Michael Sastre of River City Sheaths refuses to even post here or communicate with the OP or any of the Mods.
He has been on the forums several times. I hope there are some repercussions for his actions here.

Michael Sastre of River City Sheaths is damaging his reputation further.

Michael Sastre of River City Sheaths is at best unreliable and does not meet his obligations in a timely manner.
At worst, it appears Michael Sastre of River City Sheaths may take your money and potentially your knife as well.

Nobody is going to federal prison over this type of dispute, ever, never ever gonna ever happen. That is a fantasy scenario. Law enforcement is gonna say this is a civil dispute. They will say we don’t get involved in civil disputes. They are gonna say we don’t have jurisdiction. The only solution to this problem is if the guy returns the knife. Whether that happens depends on how much he values his reputation. That’s all there is to this. I really hope you get it back, and thanks for posting this.

Don't be too sure.... I watched a professional sentenced to 12 months federal prison time. Never had a crime on his record in 70 years of life.

The dispute was $6....US mail used. He over billed (really, his assistant over billed) by $6. Federal government tore his business up. They went back through 7 years of billing. Found the one single overcharge. 12 months federal prison time. Lost his business, spent a ton on legal defense. Mail fraud because the 6$ overcharge was sent to some one over state lines (15 miles away).

It can happen.

Will it happen here... not bloody likely.

I simply cannot fathom some of the positions you guys take on matters of "Postal Fraud" or "Mail Theft", but it does make for some amusing reading, that's for sure.
I'm also at a loss as to the mods continued pondering of a course of action against the maker (taker?), perhaps in the long run, nothing will happen to him here, either?

I simply cannot fathom some of the positions you guys take on matters of "Postal Fraud" or "Mail Theft", but it does make for some amusing reading, that's for sure.

I simply cannot fathom how one has an account here for more than 19 years, still remembers the password, and has only posted ~100 times in that span (~20% here in GBU, no less). o_O :p

I'm also at a loss as to the mods continued pondering of a course of action against the maker (taker?), perhaps in the long run, nothing will happen to him here, either?

Don't worry, once both sides of the story are heard and the mods have been in contact with the maker, I am sure action will be taken. If it comes to light that indeed Michael Sastre has defrauded the OP and doesn't make him whole, I have no doubt that he will no longer be welcome here.

I simply cannot fathom how one has an account here for more than 19 years, still remembers the password, and has only posted ~100 times in that span (~20% here in GBU, no less). o_O :p

Sorry I fail to meet your post count standards...
I will point out that attacking a guy's post count is the last and lowest argument a person usually has.

Sorry I fail to meet your post count standards...
I will point out that attacking a guy's post count is the last and lowest argument a person usually has.
You're taking this far too seriously. I wasn't really attacking you, so much as giving you a hard time. The ";)" or ":p" emoji usually implies some level of sarcasm and/or lightheartedness. ;):p

Yeah, I know, I couldn't seem to find a milder term than attacking. No worries... (upping my post count)

Thank you!

I mostly agree with you, but believe it's incorrect that the Post Office does not care about and never pursues mail fraud on "small" matters such as soliciting and receiving money for purchase of Priority Mail postage and choosing to keep the money instead of mailing as promised or refunding. I am also aware that they also make themselves concerned about use of the mail to obtain property or money by fraud, but the postal money that was defrauded is, if I had to pick one, perhaps the bigger to them.

You are correct. The USPS takes these matters very seriously since they cannot afford to let it get out of hand. fonedork is probably right on the criminal end of this regarding police or local law enforcement, but he's dead wrong if he thinks the USPS will not take this fraud seriously.
My dad was one of a few who ran the main PO here in Houston for 44 years. I have two sons in law enforcement. One is city PD and one is Federal.

I was lucky to randomly get in touch with a detective that was highly motivated to track down the perp...I know that was key.

If I got a LEO who was just phoning it in, I would've come up with nada.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you for asking.

Michael Sastre has not replied to me in any way since January 9, when he replied

Michael Sastre said:
Bill,

Your Laredo will ship back out to you tomorrow. I have been somewhat under the weather lately with my COPD and never did get the chance to do a video for you.

TC&SS,
Mike Sastre
River City Sheaths

(Note, I had never asked for the video and had long since asked him to send the knife and sheath back without waiting for it.)

He had ignored or refused to reply to 7 e-mails prior to that since the time of his having claimed in October that the sheath was ready and he'd return it, and after receiving the money for return postage. The only thing different on that one is I said I would take action for postal fraud -- up till then I was being polite and deferential, either checking up or expressing my desire to have the knife and sheath back.

He has ignored or refused to reply to all e-mails since his failure to return my property after the January 10 he promised in the above. It is now over a month past that point.

He has been on the board and has ignored or chosen not to reply here.

I understand he has been alerted here and chosen to ignore.

I will be reporting him to the Ohio Attorney General on Thursday if I do not have a tracking number from him by Wednesday. Not that I assume I will get the knife back that way, but out of principle it needs to be done in my opinion.

Has he decided to cash in whatever reputation he had in favor of keeping my knife? If it's worth more to him than his reputation or sense of ethics, or the desire to put one over on someone is more, then that would explain him keeping it. I don't know what else would.

It seems he is ignoring the mods too?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that.
There is not place here for a person like that.
His reputation speaks for itself and I for one would never do business with him and I am sure after this thread (and the others past) neither will anyone else.

A small update:

Mike Sastre chose to ignore PayPal as well on the fraud dispute I filed:

Dear William Roberts,

Because we were unable to obtain additional information from River city Sheaths regarding your claim, this case has been resolved in your favor and you have received a refund of $10.60 USD. If you paid with a credit card, the money is refunded to your credit card. Please note that it can take up to 30 days for the refund to appear on your card statement.

Transaction Details

Case number: PP-D-53568657
Seller's name: River city Sheaths
Seller's email: rivercitysheaths@aol.com
Seller's transaction ID: 3R274878YR166480N
Transaction date: October 25, 2019
Transaction amount: $10.60 USD
Your transaction ID: 92H00539GF4256334

Sincerely,

PayPal

Unfortunately that does nothing for the loss of the knife or what I paid for the sheath.

There can be no question now that this guy is a low life. PP gives you plenty of time to respond and it is telling that he ignores everything and everyone - including the MODs here.
I hope he gets what is coming to him at some point.

Next time search this subforum for info before you do business. On the first page of a search there are plenty of complaints and reasons not to trust Sastre or River City Sheaths going over more than a few years. I knew I rembered that name.

I may have done a failed job on that. I did find posts reporting that he was incredibly slow, but none of never coming through in the end. That is not to say there may not have been one. If there was, then shame on me for missing (though even more shame on him if he's a serial knife thief.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back