Michigan Trail Knife

JK Knives

I`m sure you all remember the contest I had for my Anniversary Knife. Well, jds1 had submitted a design he called the Michigan Trail Knife.

Here is the original drawing. Its 8" overall, with a 3 3/4" blade.

11axwdu.jpg

Today was the day that Jeff came down from Michigan to finish the knife with me. He came bearing a gift of Sam Adams dark ale! This is as far as I went before Jeff got here this morning, profiled, heat treated, and ground.

2sblqn8.jpg

While the handles were glueing on we cooked some burgers on the grill (charcoal, of course!)

Here it is with the handles and white liners before shaping.

9bjfo2.jpg

ayksc1.jpg

Here is the completed knife, a classic drop point hunter. I`m adding it to my line.

fjqn1z.jpg

Here is the new owner, and designer, jds1.

339svn7.jpg

I had a great day, and look forward to meeting more of you guys!

Good looking knife. I love the drop points. What is the thickness of that one? How tall?

Great looking knife, good people, burgers and good beer. What could be better.

That came out great it has a nice overall shape that looks to be very useful

Great looking blade, wish I coulda been there for the burgers and beer !!!!

Thanks guys.
Now I have to fire up the grill tomorrow after reading this.
I probably would have anyways, but it helps to blame someone else. ;)

I've been thinking about something about this size with just a cord wrap handle. What would just the blade and sheath run if you're willing to do it? any price difference between 1/8 and 3/32? Unsure which way I want to go in that department.

We could call it the Detroit Shank variant of the Michigan Trail Knife

I've been thinking about something about this size with just a cord wrap handle. What would just the blade and sheath run if you're willing to do it? any price difference between 1/8 and 3/32? Unsure which way I want to go in that department.

We could call it the Detroit Shank variant of the Michigan Trail Knife

$100 would be about right

Hi John. I'm checking in from the library. Hopefully I'll be back on-line at home soon. I just wanted to thank you again for your hospitality and generosity. I had a great time and learned a LOT. I couldn't be more pleased with the way my knife turned out. It didn't leave my hand the whole drive home. :D As soon as I've got my computer issues worked out I'll be sure and post some pics. Thanks again!

Jeff

Bumping this up because of interest in the Michigan Trail. Thought you guys might like the history behind it.

2019 is the 10 year anniversary for this model. Would there be any interest in a limited serial numbered run? I’m thinking making only 10 of them, $173 in any standard handle material, including leather sheath and shipping.

Back