Michigan Utility Knife and 24/7 Passaround Signup

Discussion in 'JK Handmade Knives' started by bikerector, Feb 20, 2020.

1. jds1

jds1

Jun 9, 2007
    Those look great. :thumbsup: Good luck with the testing!

Jeff

woodysone and bikerector like this.
  2. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Have fun!!!

woodysone likes this.
  3. bikerector

bikerector KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 16, 2016
    The Michigan Utility Knife is a bushcraft knife as a design focus, but like any good multi-purpose knife, it will handle the work nicely. This thing would be a very good choice for processing food, game, and fish. Nice fine point for piercing skin and very slicey. It wouldn't be my first choice for batoning through big chunks of wood but it does fine for what is needed for fire starting.

I can't wait to get this in the kitchen. Hopefully, the local store will have some fresh meat next time I go as they catch up to the sudden demand.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

metaxasm, f1addict and woodysone like this.
  4. bikerector

bikerector KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 16, 2016
    The best sheath I've made to date. Still not great but good enough I feel comfortable sending it with the 24/7 to testers.

[​IMG]

woodysone and f1addict like this.
  5. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    I still need contact information from @Wurrwulf @greatscoot and @Nature Boy. I know it's been some mad crazy times but I will need to get these before I can send the knives out to you for testing.

If you emailed me already, please let me know, maybe there's something funky going on with my spam filter, though I have only really had issues with my Microsoft emails and google does really good.

[email protected] or PM me on the forum and I'll get your info recorded. I still plan to ship these out next week as long as my schedule allows as I may start covering other manager's shift as some have started calling in on 3rd so we're doing whatever we can to keep the doors open (food manufacturing).

Wurrwulf and woodysone like this.
  6. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Apologies for the delay! Email sent. Schedule is fine.

bikerector likes this.
  7. greatscoot

greatscoot Nostalgia is not what it used to be. Platinum Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Email sent.

bikerector likes this.
  8. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    Thank you both for getting me your info and for your willingness to be part of the testing group.

I spent some time in the kitchen the knives last night and this morning. Last night I sliced up some potatoes to fry (no pics) and this morning I broke up a 10lb pork loin to freeze some have some for breakfast and save another for a roast or something similar later in the week.

Summary, they both did great. The Michigan Utility knife would be better with the potatoes with a full-height grind (extra $10 and special order only) but it still did admirably. The blade shape is stellar.

The 24/7 did quite well also and with the thin, full-height grind it did well with the slicing but with the lack of blade length, it was certainly a limitation. But, it's not a kitchen knife either. It would do a killer job as a paring knife role

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    Last test with the MUK today, cutting up some potatoes and apples for a pork roast. I really like the size and shape of this one as a most-purpose knife. It's not as straight as most general-purpose knives I've used but I think it works really well with the sweeping handle, and it certainly has a unique feel in hand and in use. I may have to get a personal one in burlap micarta to add to my burlap JK-made collection

I plan to get these ready to ship tonight and put in the mail tomorrow. I start 3rd shift tomorrow night so I think it will be working, sleeping, and taking care of the fam for the next few days as I adjust to the time switch for the next 2 weeks (hopefully it's only 2 weeks).

[​IMG]

woodysone, f1addict and JK Knives like this.
  10. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    The knives are boxed up and going out tomorrow to the 1st two testers. They get them for two weeks and then the next two can expect them shortly after. I will keep you all updated as they get ready to ship to the next in line and all that.

[​IMG]

woodysone likes this.