mico bevels

Iz when you finish a knife and send it to the customer is it a to zero convex or does it have a micro bevel. I sharpen my convexes on pad and sandpaper then go to a black then green strop. So my convexed knives all go to zero. I have recived other makers convexes that had a miro bevel and it would take some time to get it removed. I have no strong opinion on the micro or not. Zero seems to just match my sharpening style. I theory though I would think zero would slice better due to friction loss but I have no real evidence. Whats your opinion.

I agree, man. I sharpen all my personal knives to zero because of the increased cutting ability.
But (there's always a but :D ) all the customer knives I send out have a micro bevel. That is because I do the final sharpening on sandpaper and not the belt grinder. So if I sharpen to a zero bevel on a customer's knife they probably never buy again because the blade finish would be terrible looking.
That's the one and only draw back I know of to a convex knife. If a person likes pretty blade finishes then they can't sharpen to a zero edge without loosing that prettiness.
So yeah, if you buy a knife it'll come with a micro bevel unless the customer requests otherwise. In that case I'm sure to tell them that it will look like a bull's butt sewed up with barbed wire but it'll be a crazy slicer.:D
Great question, man.
Iz

I am relieved to hear that I am not the only one who has taken an 80% depreciation on a new custom blade by re-profiling to zero!

NOT Turley knives! Just a general question.

The look of some of my custom blades blades after my re-profiling, even after refinishing with paper from 220-2000, eliminates the option of reselling them. A real bummer.

How is it that BRKT can grind to zero all day long? Is it a secret?:confused:

The thread topic got me thinking, so I had to ask!:)

Last edited:
Yo, yomama :D

Barkies are sharpened on a belt I'd say so the finish isn't screwed up by hand sharpening.
All my knives come off the grinder ground to a zero edge. I just finish sharpening by hand so that's why there's a micro secondary.
If I sharpened on the grinder I'd have to buy a lot of expensive belts that last through about two knives. So that's mainly why I hand sharpen.
Iz

Back