Micro Bawanna Bowie Folder concept.

Ohhh man Dog, you are rolling fast man, it is coming out amazing, you have some serious skills sir. I cant wait to see the further progression. You best not be drinking mead while working on it though...... or maybe you should prolly get the creative juices flowing (pardon the pun) I think this is gonna be killer.

Whoo hooo! Your awesome Bookie! Im having to reshape the handle a bit to hide my screw up but i think im back on track. Moving something just a few hundreds of an inch means a complete handle reshape. Oh well. When you cant see the light at the end of the tunnel I always told myself "You only gotta do it once!"... Even if you know your lying to yourself! I think I need a bottle of that mead to ponder on it and bless it for the next stage.

Holly sh!t Dog. I missed that thread. Great idea, awesome design and prototype.

I'd sure go for one of these.

Holly sh!t Dog. I missed that thread. Great idea, awesome design and prototype.

I'd sure go for one of these.

Thanks sno! Its kickin my arse right now having to sneak in and out of the machine shop at work. Machining under duress is not my favorite way of doing things but I will get it done one way or the other. Im working on an update maybe tonight. Yesterday I drilled the pivot hole in the blade and got it a bit cockeyed. Ticked me off to no end so I put it down for a day to cool off:D Now I have to press an inset into it and redrill it or simply drill and ream it out larger. Probably the latter.

Update time! Next step in the plan was to mill off a flat spot on each side of the handle so I would have two parallel surfaces to work with. Then drill the pivot hole and cut the lock lever notch.

1a65232f601f78cd6adb5a66af6b7ae4

First side was easy enough because I could see what I was doing. I could not unclamp it and turn it around because when I cut the other side it would not be parallel.
0994c1b87859f20bcc25c6db83541989

Then the locking lever notch gets cut.

19c9d94bafa6dd43fd2529c2a48a35ee

Now heres where my confidence took the bonehead hit! The part above the sword of shiva was not supposed to be cut through to the spine. ^%$%#$%^ son^$^& a B…. How the heck am I gonna fix that?
Once my nerves calmed and I added a few more four letter words to my dictionary I figured out something that might work. Ill reshape the frame to cover it up on the sides but I don’t want to cover up the Devanagari script so here’s the new shape I am forced to use. Another cardboard and superglue model later and I think it will work. The only problem now is the top of the spine will show these notches? Hmmmm? May have to extend the lock lever?

ef83548ff56517a332b0a9a58994b171

It’s the dogbone mod for a bonehead move. It has to cover my screw up opened and closed so I had to add some frame to both sides without adding to the middle where the script is. Im actually starting to like it after all so Ill have to go with it. I even considered doing the other end dogbone style to match but after several sketches decided to abandon that idea.
After a depressing screw up something came in the mail that picked up my spirits and got me back on track for the next stage. I got a triangle (minus one side) box in the mail with some metal that might as well be gold about now. Bookie that’s not what I ordered man!

8eeec5c325d748c93a2e80028b643336

I almost want to just polish that like it is and hang it on the wall. That’s going to be doubled up and make a bolster as well. Your awesome brother! Can’t thank you enough!

e3b9f8520f1f02b106e6a12f54ff783f

Today was time to sneak in the machine shop and cut the pivot hole. I wanted to drill it out to ¼” since all the hardware available is ¼” or smaller. So much for that thought because everything in the shop is metric. Crap! Ok 6mm will be. I have a 6mm reamer so that will work and I have pins etc all in metric so that will have to do.

fb1bc4c13b38ff86cd4c6a59ca63b57a

OK All done and all well. Yeah right! When I slipped the 6mm shaft in the hole it wasn’t square. Dangit all! Here is where I should have milled off more room on the tang so my hold down clamps would have been square. Oh well live and learn! Looks like I need to widen the flat spot I milled down previously on the tang a bit further down reclamp it flat this time and drill out a larger diameter and or press an insert into it. The inside diameter is 6mm and I already have a pin for that so there! Ill have to drill and tap the pin and cut the insert but I think it will work (till the next screw up). If I knew what I was doing this would be a success story but sorry it aint yet

c45065042ce2af9fdea36912c5b728d3

Well theres a crooked hole a perfect notch and another hole that might get in the way later? Yall dont laugh too loud.

No Laughing here. I am watching the preceedings on the edge of my chair and chewing my toenails (already gone through all the fingers) This is anxiety making stuff here, why if I wasn't still on all the anti-crazy pills they been pumping me full of at the hospital I would be pure nervous how this is gonna turn out. I want it to succeed so badly. I just want to know I know someone that has made something as cool as a IBBB folder. I await the next installment of your work.

Amigo! If you are going to have notches show on the spine that are undesireble, can you not fill the notches with scrap brass and "customize" the spine?

No Laughing here. I am watching the preceedings on the edge of my chair and chewing my toenails (already gone through all the fingers) This is anxiety making stuff here, why if I wasn't still on all the anti-crazy pills they been pumping me full of at the hospital I would be pure nervous how this is gonna turn out. I want it to succeed so badly. I just want to know I know someone that has made something as cool as a IBBB folder. I await the next installment of your work.

Temporary sidetrack. Shavru are you home now? Also my wife wants to know if you have any spare anti crazy pills you could share with me?

We now return you to our regularly programmed IBBB folder project report. Had this been an actual emergency you would have been instructed to stop drop and roll, naw that's when your on fire, hunker and cover? Heck I don't know wing it?

Thank you Bookie, Things are starting to settle back towards the normal side, but I am grateful for the extra :)

What you are looking for Bawanna is "run to the cupboard, Arm yourself with the appropriate HI Blade and firearm for the actual emergency then drop and cover."

Yeah home and may even get to go back to work again some of next week. well, what I can do without going any where anyways. I won't be driving with this quantity of medication anytime soon. As for the anti-crazy pills. They tell me I need all I have :D and if that isn't enough they will perscribe more...

As for this folder, I really am hoping it comes out as awesome as it appears to be going. NDog take whatever steps you need to make sure it has the best chance of success, even if that means re-planning. Don't shortcut the re-work, you will kick yourself if it works out but isn't exactly what you envisioned because of some small detail that you could have fixed before you moved ahead.

Wow you must be really crazy if they offer you even more anti crazy pills.

I had some long yellow ones once, I swear you could cut your arm off with a dull khuk and wouldn't care in the slightest. Good stuff.

I usually don't take the stuff they offer, I take it in case it's needed, I do have a low pain threshold especially in my mouth but usually it sits on the counter unused.

Amigo! If you are going to have notches show on the spine that are undesireble, can you not fill the notches with scrap brass and "customize" the spine?

Bookie I thought of a few ways i might do that like drill a hole across the area and insert a pin and just hammer it out to fill the voids but sounded like too much potential for another screw up on the blade. Instead I decided to add the meat onto the end of the locking mechanism that i havent made yet and just cut out the spine at that point. Look at the little paper locking lever model in the pic and you might see what i mean. I think it will work just fine. It will just move the blade / locking lever seam to the front a bit more. Im going for it.

Shavru great to hear your doing better. I could prolly use one of them crazy pills about now too. Thanks for the inspire on this project. I sure hope it works out as well. I finally got the nerve to whack off the handle so here is the blade fitted to the model. After I get the pivot hardware figured out I will scribe it all on that big arse piece of gold Bookie gave me! Id be further along but I got sidetracked on Bookies website this morning so you can blame him! Im going to try his spring temper method in the sardine can when time comes. I have to make that part completely by hand.

a6e02f53c03c784fe9070b0f378a0c13

f6c92257fd78f164f092537612146589

LoL, Bookies website is an awesome place to get sidetracked. I kind of think of it as being like one of those antique shops in New Orleans, every time you think you have seen everything you notice something else you missed that leads down a hall to a whole new room full of interesting things. And not necessarily anything you think should all fit together but somehow they do and all make sense. I could spend days just looking at photos there.

Yeah, between the pain pills, the nausea pills and the crazy pills, as well as my normal pharmacy collection just from being an old woman, I figure I am allowing 2 maybe 3 major pharmaceutical companies to declare record profits this year :D But as long as it keeps me from wanting to claw my upper abdomen open to tear out everything causing the pain, I find it a reasonable trade off.

NDog, that is looking great, how does the lock do riding on the cut end of the blade? Does the hole from the original handle pin cause a lot of trouble? or is it pretty easy to work around? Don't rush though, take each step deliberately and planned, this is going to be so awesome!

NDog, that is looking great, how does the lock do riding on the cut end of the blade? Does the hole from the original handle pin cause a lot of trouble? or is it pretty easy to work around? Don't rush though, take each step deliberately and planned, this is going to be so awesome!
Take care of your guts girl. Keep hanging out here and get plenty of rest for the healing. Sucks being tied down. Sure good to see ya back!
I still have some filing to do on the pivot surface where the lock rides. It might get tricky because I want to reduce the radius sharply where the knife is almost closed so the lock lever will make the blade spring or pop shut. That pin hole is going to be a problem but im thinking ill round it out on each side so the lever will slide over it. Since its about 90 degrees from being closed I dont think it will interfere with anything. Otherwise I may have to drill a tiny hole there tap it out and put a screw there then grind it to match. Hope I dont have to do that though. I want to get the pivot pin and the locking lever pin mounted on the brass frame before I do too much grinding because that will be the permanent positions. I suspect tolerances will be really tight there. Next I got to square the 6mm pivot hole up by drilling and reaming it to 1/4". Ill keep ya updated if it dont drive me crazy first.

Got the parts layed out in the gold stuff but didnt have much to cut the parts out other than a sawzall so went and did some dumpster diving and came up with a bandsaw with a broken cast iron hinge. Price ZERO. I didnt even have to take it apart to get it in the Toyota because it was already busted up. I think Ill take it.:D

b0b43b771cab64e270d957f459eff0fa

I had to cough up $9.00 each for a set of pillow block bearings and a trip to the tractor store for a 5/8" steel shaft and voila Got myself a bandsaw.

02c1b78df7fb5fa7bfff87aca7735a16

Total price about $35 clams, a six pack and a weekend:thumbup: Oh make that $47. I had to buy a new blade.

7a9426241d7b196bcc22b55257b4307b

I did have to rig up a some other stuff for clamping parts etc but it worked out better than expected.

85b11c42f99342d4ce8b570ff293d9c2

cc971fbee2e3f597a6645e6f6aa10235

Got all the gold parts of the frame and bolster cut out now. Im working on the hardware for the hinge now. Not much pretty stuff to look at now but I it has to be done.

Back