Microbevels

Need some advise. I have an old knife which needs sharpening and it has a 22.5 DPS bevels. Is it feasible or advisable to re profile it at 20 DPS then put 22.5 DPS bevel on it. Thanks in advance.

I would say, yes. I guess it depends on the knife. I'm not completely sold on microbevels, but many people are. If you're going to reprofile the edges to 20dps it would probably be better to make the microbevel 23 or 24dps.

I would say, yes. I guess it depends on the knife. I'm not completely sold on microbevels, but many people are. If you're going to reprofile the edges to 20dps it would probably be better to make the microbevel 23 or 24dps.
Or what about go the other way, and make the re profile angle say 17-18DPS, then micro bevel at 22.5.

Or what about go the other way, and make the re profile angle say 17-18DPS, then micro bevel at 22.5.

It depends on the knife, blade steel, and what you are using the knife for. There are many threads talking about that stuff.

I have not read through this entire thread but for me, I think there is a LOT to be said for micro bevels. I have been sharpening by hand since I was about 7 yrs old. Now almost 60. I have been able to get blades paper cutting sharp for many decades. I have recently committed to upping my sharpening skills.

I really enjoy sharpening by hand. I have 3 oil stones and 3 water stones up to 6000. I also bought a really nice 12" double sided strop and some green compound. I can get my kitchen knives to the next level & they do pop the occasional hair but I can't get them hair popping straight razor sharp until I finish on my ceramic sticks. It puts a micro bevel on my blades and literally makes them pop hair off like a straight razor.

I have never enjoyed cutting up food that much until I actually achieved the hair popping sharpness. It is so nice to be able to cut root vegetables and squash without it flying across the room. So I am a big fan of micro bevels at this current point of the rabbit hole. But who knows, I am always learning so that could change, IDK ?

I have not read through this entire thread but for me, I think there is a LOT to be said for micro bevels. I have been sharpening by hand since I was about 7 yrs old. Now almost 60. I have been able to get blades paper cutting sharp for many decades. I have recently committed to upping my sharpening skills.

I really enjoy sharpening by hand. I have 3 oil stones and 3 water stones up to 6000. I also bought a really nice 12" double sided strop and some green compound. I can get my kitchen knives to the next level & they do pop the occasional hair but I can't get them hair popping straight razor sharp until I finish on my ceramic sticks. It puts a micro bevel on my blades and literally makes them pop hair off like a straight razor.

I have never enjoyed cutting up food that much until I actually achieved the hair popping sharpness. It is so nice to be able to cut root vegetables and squash without it flying across the room. So I am a big fan of micro bevels at this current point of the rabbit hole. But who knows, I am always learning so that could change, IDK ?

So your process is ceramic rod to finish with?

Needing counsel on Cliff's process on a kitchen knife of Destressing the edge.

After Cliff completes the destressing part, he conditions the blade as his 2nd. step in the process with shaping the edge and then finally refining the apex. In his video, it appears after destressing, he is just sharpening and he says that he is plaining down the apex level until the edge does not reflect light and then sharpen the apex with a few light strokes. To me, it appears the only difference he is making in the process is on sharpening the apex, he reduces pressure with just a few light strokes. I'm not clicking on the difference between plaining down the apex and the final light passes to sharpen the apex. Is he changing his blade angle as he goes from plaining to sharpening the apex? These 2 final steps seem so similar except the light strokes at the end.

For my western kitchen knives (50/50), I'm going to begin a process of 1. destressing the edge 2. plaining the edge until no light on it 3. forming an apex of about 17 dps. and finish with a micro at 20 dps. and see what this process results in.

Jan. 26th........changed my mind. Went with 12 DPS on Primary Bevel and 15 DPS on Micro....good results finishing with a buffalo leather strop with just a tiny bit of Mineral Oil.......really sharp for $7 Chinese Chef. (6") and 8" Chinese Chef. for $11. Cliff would probably get after me for the leather strop deal but it did help on finishing.

Last edited:
Back