Microtech Socom Delta not a Ti Sub-framelock

Status
Not open for further replies.

HousiN

Platinum Member
So I just received my Red Socom Delta tanto in the mail and am very disappointed. The Sub framelock is stainless steel, not titanium. The insert is also stainless (which makes sense). What is also weird is the back spacer is Ti. Is microtech being cheap? My red doc was the same. I thought Microtech only used premium materials. Again, very disappointed.

I just looked at microtech's website, and they seem to indicate that both the backspacer and lockbar are steel. Seems like they are being pretty open about what they use. If you just looked at materials, I agree you are paying a premium for design, fit and finish, and the brand. That being said, my g10 delta is one of my favorite knives.

I understand but why put a stainless steel insert if the sub framelock is already stainless steel?

I understand but why put a stainless steel insert if the sub framelock is already stainless steel?

That would be a good question for them. They do not have any corporate representation here, and every answer is most likely pure conjecture.

or because that's what consumers want even if they don't need it

I think most would want Ti instead of Stainless. The first DOCs were Ti then they switched to ss on the colored models. I think they are cuting corners, probably has something to do with profit margins. And yes, I know I answered my own question.

I think most would want Ti instead of Stainless. The first DOCs were Ti then they switched to ss on the colored models. I think they are cuting corners, probably has something to do with profit margins. And yes, I know I answered my own question.

I was referring to the lockbar insert that is ss

I've read tat the steel used for the back strap and the liner is a high quality stainless that is more durable than the 300 series stainless and and cleaner than some of the 400 series stainless some companies use for liners and such. ON paper it could potentially serve as a super budget steel.

I think lock bar inserts are silly and unnecessary.

Got a second zt 0301 that has one on it and I hate it.

IIRC, the component on their customs are beta Ti so maybe it's a tooling issue. What's wrong with SS ? Possibly it because the insert is a replaceable component so why not keep it standardized.

Just guesses here , I don't see why SS would make it inferior.

IIRC, the component on their customs are beta Ti so maybe it's a tooling issue. What's wrong with SS ? Possibly it because the insert is a replaceable component so why not keep it standardized.

Just guesses here , I don't see why SS would make it inferior.
So you'd be fine if your current Ti framelocks were SS framelocks? SS framelocks are on budget knives.

I've read tat the steel used for the back strap and the liner is a high quality stainless that is more durable than the 300 series stainless and and cleaner than some of the 400 series stainless some companies use for liners and such. ON paper it could potentially serve as a super budget steel.

The back strap is Titanium.

So you'd be fine if your current Ti framelocks were SS framelocks? SS framelocks are on budget knives.
I think the point is that there's nothing wrong with the knife and you are apparently disappointed that you overlooked some details. Maybe you should return it.

I think the point is that there's nothing wrong with the knife and you are apparently disappointed that you overlooked some details. Maybe you should return it.

Nope, disappointed that Titanium wasn't used.

The key word is "Ti Framelock" , if you desire one buy it. 👍🏻

I have no problem with the Socom Delta production configuration.

I usually research a purchase like that thoroughly. I even know what the washers are made of. Was this an impulse buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back