Microtech Socom Soft Detent?

Just picked up a Socom and the detent seems very soft.

As in, I can shake this knife out with very minimal wrist movement.

Is this normal? I've seen several reviews and watched many deployment videos and have not heard or seen anything that would appear to be soft detent.

Just want to confirm that I may have gotten a lemon before I send this thing back.

For my sample size of one 2018 Socom Elite, that's not normal at all. I can't shake the blade out even with a fastball-throw motion; its detent is among the strongest in my collection.

I've had a bunch of Socoms and they all have had fairly soft detents. Both of my 2018 models will come out with what I would refer to as moderate shaking. All of the older ones from 1997, 1998, 2006, 2007, and 2012 were the same way.

Just picked up a Socom and the detent seems very soft.

As in, I can shake this knife out with very minimal wrist movement.

Is this normal? I've seen several reviews and watched many deployment videos and have not heard or seen anything that would appear to be soft detent.

Just want to confirm that I may have gotten a lemon before I send this thing back.

I had one from the first run that was soft and sold it. I’ve read reports of mostly tough detents

I had one from the first run that was soft and sold it. I’ve read reports of mostly tough detents
That's certainly possible, as both of my soft 2018 models were out of the first runs. Then again, I've had like 10 socoms, socom elites, and socom deltas made over a 20 year period and found them all to have soft detents that I could shake out with relative ease. Not a complaint, just my observation.

That's certainly possible, as both of my soft 2018 models were out of the first runs. Then again, I've had like 10 socoms, socom elites, and socom deltas made over a 20 year period and found them all to have soft detents that I could shake out with relative ease. Not a complaint, just my observation.

I've handled a grand total of three socom models, but FWIW they all had soft detents. I really liked the one I bought, outside of the stupid screws, it's a great shape overall.

i have one that is dated 10/2018, bought it this year and it has pretty strong detent.........maybe you can send that one back and ask the dealer to inspect a few and make sure to send one with a strong detent

I've handled a grand total of three socom models, but FWIW they all had soft detents. I really liked the one I bought, outside of the stupid screws, it's a great shape overall.
Really just the best tapered handle shape.

Their torx screws are good quality, at least.

I have a 2018 model and it has a very strong detent. I love it. I had one of the older 2012 ones and the detent was nonexistent.

Really just the best tapered handle shape.

Their torx screws are good quality, at least.

Mine was the older version, the delta I think. It had the goofy triangle screws. I have come to hate custom hardware altogether.

I've had 6 recent socoms (3-2018, 3-2019). One had a really soft detent, not as soft as the op's sounds, one way too stiff detent, but the other 4 were perfect. I'd send it back if you bought it from a dealer for a different one or contact microtech. I used their warranty recently and the CS and work they did was excellent for fixing my issue.

Mine was the older version, the delta I think. It had the goofy triangle screws. I have come to hate custom hardware altogether.
For what it's worth, having disassembled a couple of the deltas, the hardware is at least very well made. Mine had perfect threading and perfectly machined screw heads, and came apart really easily with a $10 tool. I don't love the proprietary hardware but at least it's not going to strip out from disassembly.

Update - I contacted the retailer and sent the knife back before I even got a response to this thread. The detent was just far too soft.

I am exchanging the stonewashed for the same black handle but with satin.

I'll update on the replacement if anyone is interested, but the dealer checked it out and said the detent was definitely not soft.

On a side note, I spoke to someone who went to Blade and handled 10 to 12 socoms who said that three of them had very weak detents. Seems to be a relatively common issue. But damn when the socoms are done right, what a knife.

For what it's worth, having disassembled a couple of the deltas, the hardware is at least very well made. Mine had perfect threading and perfectly machined screw heads, and came apart really easily with a $10 tool. I don't love the proprietary hardware but at least it's not going to strip out from disassembly.

Sure, I didn't have any problems with the screws beyond that they required a custom driver, which I find supremely annoying. I mean, what is the point of standardizing types of screws if every random nitwit makes up their own format? I feel this way about everyone that does it, FWIW--I dislike MicroTech and love Olamic, but it annoys me equally about both of them that I need custom tooling to work on their knives.

Sure, I didn't have any problems with the screws beyond that they required a custom driver, which I find supremely annoying. I mean, what is the point of standardizing types of screws if every random nitwit makes up their own format? I feel this way about everyone that does it, FWIW--I dislike MicroTech and love Olamic, but it annoys me equally about both of them that I need custom tooling to work on their knives.
Fair enough. I'm a huge fan of Microtech's manual action knives and not a fan of Olamic, but I can agree that the use of triangle and spanner/snake eye bits is not ideal.

Yeah, the newer MT Socoms are absolutely amazing. I've handled 2 so far, and both were perfect. I have another 1 on the way!

Hey Nails, there's a couple of us trying to get a hold of you in another thread. One of your sales for the BM 710.

I can't PM you for some reason.

Back