Mid-80's Gerber Magnum folder

Here's an old Gerber Magnum that I gave to my Dad back in '85 or '86. He was a crusty, spartan man and I don't think he had much use for an expensive, nice looking knife like this. Apparently he just put it away the day after he got it. I noticed he didn't use it, so later I got him an Old Timer stockman. He was very happy with that, and he used it extensively. My Dad was an Old Timer himself. :D He passed away peacefully in his sleep last July at the age of 80.

I wish I could find that stockman, but I couldn't. Maybe it will turn up one day when my Mom is straightening up stuff. Anyway, she did find this knife and sent it to me, and it's still in the same condition that I gave it to him, except for the usual green funk on the brass and dried-up looking wood. I spent a few minutes with Maas polish and mineral oil and it cleaned up nice.

It's really amazing to hold this knife and see what Gerber was building in those days. This thing is so solid and heavy, it makes a 110 feel like a Russell Featherlite. It still has the factory edge and it's still shaving sharp. :thumbup:

I figure that it's now up to me to use this knife and put some beauty marks on it for when I kick the bucket and it goes to my son.

100_0514.jpg

100_0516.jpg

100_0519.jpg

Now that is one beautiful name. Has similar design that Buck 110 and 55's. Still, very beautiful knife.

I have the identical knife, except I lost the sheath. I bought it in 1981 when I was a senior in high school. It was the first quality knife I ever bought for myself. I field-dressed my first deer with that knife.

I eventually decided it has too much sentimental value to carry around in the woods so now it has a nice warm place in my safe. Gerber really knew how to build them back then!

Gerber did makes some fine blades back then. I recently came across some old Gerber info.. One pamplet (from 1979) says about the Magnum:
"The epitome of folding hunting knives. The drop point blade is of 440c surgical stainless steel, the finest stainless for holding an edge. For maximum performance the blades are hardened and tempered to rigid standards (C57-59), and hand honed for added sharpness. The deep finger contour handle and ribbed spine provide a possitive grip.
Frame and pivot pin are of solid brass. Handle inlays cut from richly grained tropical hardwood. Top grain leather scabbard included.
Magnum Folding Hunter -Single 3 1/4" drop point blade. Length open, 7 1/3"; closed, 4 1/2". Blade thickness, .125".

Amen on the green funk. Someday I'll learn to wrap the knife before I put it in that sheath. ;)

Mine is from the late 70's and has a few more charcter marks. It's still quite a handfull of quality knife.

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

I have an identical, though very well used Gerber. Great knife for the time. Far, far superior to the Bucks of that day, IMHO.

Every now and then, I still take it out to dress an antelope or deer. :thumbup:

"TorzJohnson"

sweet folder, and i m sure it's already on it's way to becoming a family heirloom knife.

I am sure it is great to have that back. I only have one Gerber and it is from the same era, it was my first quality knife. I will probably get rid of it some day as only carry folders now but quality wise at that time Gerber was tough to beat.

Here's a page from an old Gerber brochure showing the Magnum Folding Hunter and some others:

Back