MidWest Khukri Khonvention

Nasty

Chief Cook & Bottle Wash
I have been asked, so this is the official sign-up thread for the 2nd Annual MidWest Khukri Khonvention.

If sufficient interest is shown, Casa de Nasty will once again be opened for business.

Last year, a dozen or so Khrazy Khutters showed up and we had a great time. We had knife sharpening, buffing, handle making, leatherwork, etching, file work, cutting contests and other good stuff. I'd like to see the same guys show plus perhaps a couple others.

I already have some knives coming! We will at least have some villagers (BGRS) available...and I have a buffer, so you could get the villager you want *and* fix it up while you are here...my buffer doesn't care who is running it!

Memorial Day weekend - May 27-30 2005
Arrival could be as early as Friday evening the 27th and you could stay as late as Monday morning, but the Khonvention will be planned for Saturday and Sunday. Depending on who will attend, we can have a variety of "events" and classes.

I need to see some definate names to see if we want to do this again this year...please add your name here *and* email me* so I can get back to you with directions if needed.

If I get my car running by then and have sufficient gas money... then yes. I'll know for sure by Friday. Looking forward to it. :)

Nasty:

Count me as a definite maybe...lol. Since I am relatively close by, I might be able to stop over for one of the days. You would not need to provide any accomodations for me. Would like to meet some of my fellow Cantina members. Also have to go to Toledo that weekend which is a potential complication.

Jeff

I would be a definate maybe. Depends if I can get Ms Hollowdweller to farmsit for me for that period.

If I come I can bring enough stuff to make breakfast and some other stuff too incl the wood for chopping if we are gonna do that again

hollowdweller said:
If I come I can bring enough stuff to make breakfast and some other stuff too incl the wood for chopping if we are gonna do that again

:D You don't know how glad I am to hear that. Chopping was the best part last year!

99.9% sure we'll make it. Karen just had too much fun. Probably be pretty easy to get her to eat ramen for a month so we can buy gas to get there..LOL :D

Work is getting in the way. I'll ask around tomorrow and see whether or not it's possible. I doubt it, but I will try.

One of these days...

The hike I took through John Bryan/ Clifton Gorge? on Sunday and the trip to Yellow Springs was also awesome. If I come I'm looking forward to that again. Beautiful place!

It's a nice place...maybe more would like to join you! I know I would. Did you see the pools where the water flows out of the ground?

Nasty said:
It's a nice place...maybe more would like to join you! I know I would. Did you see the pools where the water flows out of the ground?

Yes! Also the awesome waterfalls coming off the edge of the canyon, and the huge clumps of ramps! I haven't eaten any ramps yet this spring, and it's making me hungry thinking about it! ;)

hehehe...a local treat. Wonder how many will have to look ramps up just to learn what they are?

They'd go great with the scrabled eggs and deer sausage like we had last year...

Nasty said:
hehehe...a local treat. Wonder how many will have to look ramps up just to learn what they are?

They'd go great with the scrabled eggs and deer sausage like we had last year...

Richwood WV is home to the "Feast of the Ramson", one of the largest ramp feeds in the country. Noted WV historian, Richwood resident, and publisher of the West Virginia Hilbilly periodical the late Jim Comstock once included ramp juice in the ink of the Hillbilly, which was sent to expat WV'ians all over the country. The postal service was freaking out trying to figure out what the smell was!

http://www.richwoodwv.com/ramp.asp

Nasty said:

I did. I've never heard them called by that name before, but I remember trying them as a child.

It looks like I just might be a go for the KK after all. I'll send you an email when I get home, Nasty.

I'm in. I'll bring my sloooow speed 1" belt grinder to show you what I mean by the advantages of slooow. Hope Dan can make it, he's a belt grinder artiste. ;)
The chopping part was great fun. My right arm was so sore the next day I had to use my left hand to turn the key to start the van.:eek:
I remember visiting Yellow Springs in the early 60's...it doesn't seem to have changed much, has it?
Bri

You do realize that this should really be called the Mid East KK. I mean Ohio is like way on the other side of the universe.....like 1900 miles away. Like I'm not sure who the geography flunkies were....me or the ones who call this midwest :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D But then again, Mid east KK might be a little politically incorrect :rolleyes: What can I say. :D

And in reference to the ramps which I looked up and wondered what in the world was in Hollow's deer sausage that I would need a wheel chair for :rolleyes: this time instead of just hanging around with ol' farts, we'll be hanging around with stinky ol' farts :eek: :rolleyes: Sounds like a fun time. I do hope all goes well. I have to arrange 2 more friends to shack up with on the trip over....but if all goes well, I guess I'll venture out. So how far is DC from you Nasty??? My dearly beloved niece and her marine are stationed there. Might be fun to see them since i'm already on the other side of the universe. ;)

It's the same thinking that put Northwestern University right outside Chicago.At one time, Ohio WAS the West, and Lake Michigan WAS the Northwest.Of course no one at that time even knew Arizona was there yet.

Maybe I'll re handle another khuk. I got some nice osage.

I can bring a drill press again, and logs and chopping stands, and yes Venison Sausage. I could even Marinate a deer leg and we could grill it. Oh and my goats are milking maybe Greek Salads with homemade feta. :D and fresh eggs from my chickens.

WOOHOO!

Sat - Outstanding! I hope you can...

Brian - No, in fact, Yellow Springs is the only FDA documented example of a time bubble. BTW, I want to talk to you about the skill set no one but I (maybe) knows you possess. I'd like to exploit your knowledge and have you do more at this Khon than just hang around looking studly. I'm talking about the 18"WWII here my friend...we need you!

MamaV - 466.9 miles, a one day ride.

Hollow - I need a nice piece of wood too. I have an AK Bowie that I may try to redo at he Khon (got to find the brass guard for it now).The drill press will be needed, the chopping stands are great (I want some), the sausage was the best ever and I would be thrilled to fire up the grill. I have been patiently waiting for the fete...and for a city boy, eggs that stand proud were a real treat (especially the green ones).

Me casa es su casa amigos...(Phoenix is still on my mind...can you tell?)

Tom Linton - I haven't heard from you yet bud...or Keith (Ferrous Wheel)...Warren is in hiding or turned to Zombie...Mac and Peeps *may* be done honeymooning by now. Dan already said that he most likely would not be able to make it...maybe he will relent and come anyway? Kurt (RoadRunner) will come depending on his car. Brother Johnny, I mean Semper Fi...I *expect* you to come...anytime.

Besides looking studly at last Khon, BriChi gave me some invaluable pointers on my re handling project and let me use his awesome files!

Nasty,

I will gladly leave 1 (or more) of my chopping stands with you, or if you wish I can bring the lumber for you to make some of the size and height of your choosing. Also I have more black walnut, maybe enough Osage for us each a handle, and lots of oak.

On Yellow Springs...

Donna The Buffalo have this song that kind of describes it: " Oh but every now and then- It's the way it was in the way back when" :cool:

I will personally bring an extra table if Thomas Linton will bring his collection. When I grow up I want to be like him ;)

Oh yea and if Danny can send one of his DVD's I'd buy one :D

Back