MidWest Khukri Khonvention

Nasty & Yvsa, you guys is funny.

I won't be there, but here's wishing a good time to all.

bamboo

I'll be flying in pretty late Friday night so I probably won't be making an appearance until Saturday. Gotta love the long layovers with cheap tickets. :)

Anything in particular that I should bring?

I wish that I could make the meeting, but I am way behind in my work. I have deadlines coming up, and I am getting my left eye operated on tomorrow - for cataracts.
The first procedure went great, and I could see fine after 12 hours. By the next day, my vision was at least 20/20. By the next week, my vision became 20/16 - better than it has been for years. But - it sure slows you down when you have to clear the drugs out of your system! You don't want to spend much time at the computer for a few days after the surgery.

Weather is looking great so far...those of you camping in the yard should have a beautiful night for it! We will do like last year and try to keep things simple and edge focused...sorry, but I'm not going to try to compete with Gin's cooking skills. I'm okay at breakfast, but we will likely eat like *real men* otherwise.

If you need directions again, let me know! (email...fast and easy!)

We can, of course, alter plans as we go...

I'm gettin' stuff together to demo making a leather wrapped, wood Q-D sheath that you can make with simple hand tools... And if there is time, cleaning up a villager handle with files and sandpaper... And, as promised, I'll bring the sloowww belt grinder, so you can convex some edges. I don't have any of those *fancy* fine grit belts, so if you have some 1 X 42 Trizacs (sp?)or others - bring 'em along.
And, of course, I'll bring some of Chicago's notorious Goose Island Honkers Ale :D for after the power tools are put away, and *all* the blades safely sheathed. ;)
If Hollowdweller brings some trees to chop, I'll supply some liniment and Ibuprofen for Sunday morning :eek: Ouch!
Bri

Well guys, this car repair has been more expensive than I thought, so I'll be there if I can scrape together the money for gas. Luckily the Honda gets 28 MPG so that shouldn't be too hard. I have a few on the For Sale forum if anyone's interested. Take the same amount off to pick up the Khonvention as for Blade. Hope to see you there.

Hey Nasty,

I'll bring everything to cook Breakfast Sat Morning. Also will bring chopping stuff.

Email me directions to Nastyville again. Also I may do breakfast Sunday morning but may have to leave Sat night not sure yet.

I plan to replace a handle. If anyone else wants to I can bring some wood. Question is do we have a tablesaw or should I cut the blanks before I leave.

I'll be there around 10 to 12 on Friday night.

Do we have a head count?

It looks like I'll be able to make it, barring anything catastrophic. I'll bring along some fresh roasted coffee from a shop here in Augusta (this stuff is incredible), and my bandsaw, drill press and belt sander, if anyone feels they're needed.

Woohoo! It's going to be great!

So far we have...

Already packing or on their way here :D

Satori
Hollow
Brian
RoadRunner
Tom Linton

Maybes :confused:
Devo
Walking Man
Big Bob

Regrets but attending in spirit:)

Yvsa
Semper Fi
MamaV

Best wishes and/or afraid of Ohio :rolleyes:
Raghorn
Arty
Bamboo
Dave Hahn

The more that I think about it, the more that I realize that I can pack a weekend's worth of clothes in my carry-on, and bring a gun case full of sharp objects as checked luggage. Now the hard part - what to bring, and how to keep TSA from playing with it. ;)

Satori, just ask to have TSA inspect your knife bag in front of you, then lock it up. They may not be overly pleasant abou it, but they're supposed to comply if you request. Or pack a firearm in the same case (in a lockable, hardsided case of course), so they have to inspect and sign off on it. Make sure you call your airline and airport in advance to find out what their procedures are; they all like to do things a bit differently.

I have emailed each of the confirmed Khukri knuts my name, address, phones, maps and a copy of my rap sheet. If you are intending to come to the 2005 Mid West Khukri Khonvention...you'd better let me know soon!

First arrivals will be Friday night...perhaps all. I figure we can do a dinner out like we did last year 5 minutes from the house and then return for movies, a fire, knifetalk, swapping lies and refreshments.

Saturday morning, it's time for the Blem Box to come out (we will draw names for sharking order like last year as it seeemed to work well), then head for the garage and or yard to hit the machines. We can hold our chopping contests when we feel like it or catch something not moving.

Brian will be doing a leather demo...
Hollow will be feeding us breakfast Saturday and helping with regripping...
Satori will be showing us very effective if not pretty sword form...
RoadRunner will be telling us how many days until he is a free man...
Tom Linton will be providing oil (it's actually already here, left over from last year)...

I will offer any assistance on the grinding and buffing that I can. I also know just enough about filework to be dangerous.

Same rules as last year..no drinking while power tools are running or with blades longer then the distance to the guy next to you.

Camping outside, inside, whatever...facilities and a shower are available, me casa es su casa. This year at least I have a place to burn the scraps!

BTW, interest has been shown for two off topic things...a hike/stroll through the local state park (small and pretty with neat stuff) and the NATIONAL Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB where I work. Don't be surprised if the group talks about doing either at some point!

Be safe getting here...:D

You just have to keep rubbing it in :grumpy: I'm really thinking I should have not had the kid get a job :rolleyes: We'll be thinking of you, though, as we're basking in our 100* weekend. Lovely it is here......last weekend it was 115 on the freeway from Yuma to Phoenix, so this weekend is a cold spell :eek: :D

Have lots of fun and take lots of pictures. ;)

This is sounding better and better, Nasty.

The turboprop :) will be dropping me off at 11:30 PM, your time, so I probably won't swing by until the next morning. Just let me know a good time. Since you mentioned the Box, I'll be sure to bring some cash. :)

I was about to email you for directions and stuff - then noticed a new message in my mailbox. Nevermind.

Hike in the park? Awesome. National Air Force Museum? Oh, man...you're talking to an online warbird jockey who would've pursued a career in military aviation, had his eyesight and education been up to the task. I'd certainly be down for that.

One thing I would like to do is conduct a champagne sabering/khukuring clinic. It's time to get the knowledge out there. My personal recommendation is to take the time to gather up all the severed bottle tops before the champagne is consumed...otherwise, they never seem to turn up and one must resort to wearing a flak jacket the next time that they mow the lawn.

:D We will Gin...lots and lots of pics!

BTW, I'm hoping it hits 70 and stays dry!

Back