Mike Manabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was re-reading some of my old Blade magazines when I came across a bladesmith I remembered, Mike Manabe, who was known for making blades with a double temper line. Tried searching but even Google can't find any information on him. Anyone have any recent information ?

Learned to make from Dave Ellis, good student, works for UPS and likes golf more than bladesmithing, but still DANGED good maker! If you want something, I can get a message to him.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Very good, many thanks for the quick reply.

May I assume that Manabe still forges blades, but more as a hobby than a profession?

I still remember that marvelous wire damascus and ironwood piece that was pictured in his profile article in blade. Damascus knives usually don't appeal to me but that one certainly did.

Cheers

redvenom said:
May I assume that Manabe still forges blades, but more as a hobby than a profession?
Cheers

I think Mike has forged 3 or 4 knives in the last 5 years, but will ask him when I can.

Best Regards,

Steven Garsson

Now there is a name that has not come up in a while.

The man can make a fine knife that is for certain.

I remember Mike. He was a very nice guy, as well as a heck of a knifemaker.

Mike has mentioned making some knives recently but to my knowledge he has not made any for years.Quite a shame as he was a real talent (and I spent a lot of time with him in my Shop so I hate to see that wasted).
Mike has some pics in the last Weyer Points of Interest Book
Dave

Ok, I know this is a 13yr old thread, but I've been wondering whatever happened to Mike Manabe too. I think I purchased the knife mentioned in the Blade Magazine article mentioned in the original question. I bought it from Mike at the BAKCA show on 6/17/1995. I'll try posting a picture.
view

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back