Mike Sastre Kitchen Kydex DVDs

Hey Guys

Awhile back Mike Sastre and I were chatting at Knobb Creek, between the volleys of G.E. Minigun fire which rattled our dental fillings, and came up with an idea.

Mike had just finished production of his video “Kitchen Kydex” and we thought it would be interesting for another professional sheath maker to write a review on the 2 DVD video set..

Under different circumstances this may be a conflict of interest, however Mike and I have known each other for several years, get along well and meet up at various shows to BS and have some laughs…

I’ve carefully examined his work over the years and I consider him to be one of the best sheath makers in the industry.

I’ve taught him everything I know…Well that’s not true! LOL

After watching his two disc video set I found it interesting just how many things we do the same way, or variations on the same techniques. Both of us have come to the same conclusions independently on many things..

I decided to give his universal pattern for the Leatherman Wave holster a shot.

This would be a good experiment to see how Mike’s pattern and techniques work. I’ve had little to no experience with molding a one piece tool holder with integral belt loop. It is as new to me as it is to you.

I watched the tool holder segment a couple of times, just to get a better idea of how Mike makes the holder… The molding techniques are all very rudimentary for me,,, however this is exactly what Mike it conveying in the video…One doesn’t have to be a professional sheath maker to make a good usable tool holder that works…

I made my Leatherman holster in only about 15-20 minutes using the exact same techniques Mike showed in his video, although I cheated a little and used my belt loop molds and 2X72 grinder…

unileatherman.jpg

As you can see the tool holder turned out pretty good and works very well, a pretty neat little setup I must say.

All in all I found the Kitchen Kydex DVDs well thought out, and decently showed the techniques to make a variety of different tool holders, mag carriers, sheaths and pistol holsters…

I personally found the pistol holster segment interesting, since I don’t delve into holsters all that much and have only made a few for myself and other clients.

Armed with these videos, there is no reason, with practice you can’t make serviceable tool holders and sheaths in your own home workshop, even with simple basic tools.

sastre.jpg

I've got that dumb look on my face, cause Mike's got his left hand on my Ass !! :) LOL

So Cook something up and lets have a look at what you’ve made…

Thanks for the Opportunity Mike I enjoyed the DVD’s ..

ttyle

Eric E. Noeldechen
On/Scene Tactical

I have had the DVD for about a year now. I had never made anything out of Kydex before but using the info on the DVD I have made knife sheaths , multi tool sheaths and pistol holsters and mag pouches. I found that covering the back of ISW holsters with moleskin makes them comfortable as a leather holster. I also found that a coating of The Right Stuff from NAPA auto parts really makes a slip sheath stay put. It is made by Permatex and just needs a strip on the front and back spread with your finger.

Toro

Maybe it's OK if I go ahead and buy them then...
I have wanted to buy Mike's videos but have started doing "paid work" on a limited basis and would feel like a turd using his ideas. I am not going to be taking any measurable "market share" from anyone else but just enjoy making stuff and sharing it. I gave away several hundred dollars' worth of materials and uncounted hours over the past few years and can't keep doing that so I decided to start charging for the work. I know if I watched the videos and saw something (certainly I would) that could save me some time I would use it. I guess I should say something to Mike and see if he's OK with it because I woiuld love to see them. I talked with him by e-mail or PM some time back and he seemed like a great guy.

I met Mike at a gun show. He spent about an hour giving me tips on working kydex when he could have been selling his stuff. I was impressed by his knowledge so I bought his Kitchen Kydex video. It is well worth the money, it teaches the subject from a to z. I made this sheath for my ASH after watching the video.
img0222ip5.jpg

Thanks for the review, Eric! Must not be too bad a teacher if a "thick-headed Cannuk" can learn something! :) It was an honest attempt to teach people to make quality, sheaths, tool holders, holsters, etc., even if you have limited equipment. More and better equipment makes it easier, but you'd be surprised at how little you need. (Don't blame you for cheating and using your grinder - sandpaper and wood block is a LOT of work!) One of the reasons for doing the DVD set (actually 3 of them, but the third is a "TRS Bonus" disc about concealment) is that while kydex is easy enough to work with, it's also easy enough to do badly. The body of work out there will range from excellent to atrocious, and the bad stuff gives the good a bad rep, so let's raise the bar and do more than a 5-10 minute internet tutorial. Not real worried about putting me, you, Rob, David, or any of the other quality guys out of business (most are backlogged), because as Tim Wegner told me long ago, "There's more good knife makers than there are good sheath makers, and there is plenty enough 'pie' for everybody". Still true today. Heck, you still have to get dirty and do the work, and might find you'd rather not. DVD set is available from TRSDirect.com (559-732-5317), or you can get them from me. If you get them from me direct, you can always call for help.

Hey Mike..

LMAO...

Yaa I was wearing my Leatherman holster today, works great and is nice an snug....

I gotta work on the bottoms of mine though, yours are nicer the way you do them... :)

Sorry I haven't responded to your email,, I'm just swamped here and getting caught up before we go camping...

Thanks Mike...

ttyle

Eric
O/ST

i just got done watching modern knives volume 5 which featured Mike Sastre demonstrating the southern comfort. i came away a believer in his system:cool:

Crossada,

That's the old "disappearing Bowie" trick that they say can't be done. Glad you like it! Show a little bit of it on the "Secrets of Concealment" TRS "bonus DVD". Really just common sense stuff most everybody knows.

I saw Mike do the disappearing Bowie trick. It goes from invisible to up close and personal in a blink. :eek:

I wear my bowie all the time in Mikes' rig and no one is the wiser. Why carry a 4 inch blade when I can carry 10 1/2" just as easily. His video set is also top notch for anyone wanting to do their own kydex. If a dummy like me can do it, anyone can.

O.k., I must be missing something. I looked at Mike's website and the TRSdirect website and could not find the DVD listed. Am I just missing it? How much are these DVDs?

Give TRS a call - 559-732-5317. You can also call or email me for details.

Mike Sastre is the King of Kydex. All of his rigs are made using a minimal amount of Material. The operator can get a full hand grip on the knife handle on the draw.There is no need to readjust your grip after unsheathing. The blades "lock" into his sheaths,yet can be brought into play in a split second.This is an artform.
Anyone can make a holster or knife sheath out of Kydex. Mike's Dvd takes the years of experimentation out of the process.It is very rewarding to wear a carry system that you crafted by hand.
Mickey Yurco

Hey Micky, how to hell are ya?, Long time sir :D

I'll reiterate Mickeys and others impressions of Mike's Kydex work. I've got quite a few of his sheath systems for folders, mid size straights and the long knives [ bowies ]. They get the job done superbly where concealment and access are the criteria you are looking for in a sheath.

I first met Mike back in 93, and he was making Kydex sheaths then, so he's been at it for quite awhile indeed. You don't stay in business that long without producing a superior product and learning some "tricks" along the way.

That means Mike knows how to make a sheath that has the end user in mind, plain and simple.

Good luck with the DVD's Mike.

Brownie

Hi, I had noticed that in the FightFast link detailing what is in the Kitchen Kydex DVD, it said what tools you will need for “upscale “production” work.” Does this mean higher quality sheaths/holsters or a higher number of sheaths/holsters that you can produce?

Back