Mike Snody - New Folder

The Boys are back in Town,

Glad to see one, it has been awhile

I'm sure you're on to something with the heat colouring and random grind marks around the ricasso, and that there's going to be demand for the knife based partly on that, but I feel like those elements are a little jarring and out of step with all the other stuff going on. Otherwise, I dig the smooth flowing lines of the design and your treatment of the pivot area is pretty nifty

I'm sure you're on to something with the heat colouring and random grind marks around the ricasso, and that there's going to be demand for the knife based partly on that, but I feel like those elements are a little jarring and out of step with all the other stuff going on. Otherwise, I dig the smooth flowing lines of the design and your treatment of the pivot area is pretty nifty
i like that word “jarring” your a smart dude, way above average. i love following your work. you know what was “jarring” was watching relatively new makers selling $4,000.00 folders at USN and California Custom shows recently. i had a guy two tables away who charged $300 for you to win a chance at buying one of his folders. you had to draw the right combination of numbers and it cost $300 to try. the colors and texturing were jarring. i personally love it because it’s a style i have already done years ago. i promise you if you personally build two fixed blades and hand rub one and texture the otherin a style like Borka, Bastinelli, Scorpion Six or the other hot guys and put them both up for auction the jarring knife is going to probably bring double the money. you can see what i am talking about at arizona knives. much love and i hope you can visit me sometime in Colorado.

i like that word “jarring” your a smart dude, way above average. i love following your work. you know what was “jarring” was watching relatively new makers selling $4,000.00 folders at USN and California Custom shows recently. i had a guy two tables away who charged $300 for you to win a chance at buying one of his folders. you had to draw the right combination of numbers and it cost $300 to try. the colors and texturing were jarring. i personally love it because it’s a style i have already done years ago. i promise you if you personally build two fixed blades and hand rub one and texture the otherin a style like Borka, Bastinelli, Scorpion Six or the other hot guys and put them both up for auction the jarring knife is going to probably bring double the money. you can see what i am talking about at arizona knives. much love and i hope you can visit me sometime in Colorado.
yeah, Mike. I agree and thank you, I'd love to visit Colorado again one of these days. Your shop looks awesome.

to my eye, even something small like heat colouring the fasteners to match the colour on the blade, for example, would create a little more cohesion overall.

I only ever offer this type of critique if I like the piece, so I hope you aren't offended by my opinion, it comes from a good place.

I do tend to follow a lot of purveyor sites and makers, and it is unbelievable what people are spending and buying. I think this monstrosity was somewhere in the $1K range;
7hY6k8N.jpg

for guys like you, who've spent thousands of hours over many years learning how to do what you do, it must be frustrating to see guys come from out of nowhere with a couple designs, access to literally state of the art equipment and the marketing chops to get people frothing. Even though there's no guarantee the maker will continue making five years from now. That's why I like the old timers- guys whose shoulders are available to stand on- who have made and kept their commitment to the craft and whose work is a sound investment.

a sure bet is what I like, but we live in highly speculative times where it's common for newer buyers to try and flip knives for an immediate profit and clamouring to create buzz around the maker whose work they seek to profit from, driving up the price into the realm of ridiculousness and inflating a bubble which is very likely to pop one of these days.

if and when that bubble pops, I'd rather have a Snody in my collection than whatever the flavour of the day is.

it's good to see you making again.

Back