Mike Wood

RIP, Mike. You were one of the best and you won't be forgotten. Sending prayers to his family and loved ones.

Last edited:
Mike was one of my first customers and an ardent supporter when I opened my shop...He was also one of the first people I met at at my first Blade Show (2004?). Mike shared with me the wisdom of fried bananas and laughter..

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear this. He will me missed by those here who appreciated his contributions, but more so by his family and close friends.

Hey everyone, I don’t know if it’s uncouth to open this thread back up, but Mike was my uncle. My brother and I have just recently been tasked with taking care of his knife collection, my aunt has finally let us know it is time to thin the herd and I had no idea where else to begin.

We grew up going to shows with him, collecting busses and other gear but never with the intensity and scrutiny Mike did. That being said, we have a lot of questions and figured we would turn here before we proceed. When Mike said “if you know how many you have, you don’t have enough”, we’re quickly discovering he took that to heart. There are a lot of small differences in knives and models and we are discovering that we just can’t keep up.

Feel free to shoot me a message if you would like to help with ID and differentiation. We will let you know what she is going to want to let go of when we can get a wrangle on the collection. God bless and I hope to hear back from some of his good friends.

Hey everyone, I don’t know if it’s uncouth to open this thread back up, but Mike was my uncle. My brother and I have just recently been tasked with taking care of his knife collection, my aunt has finally let us know it is time to thin the herd and I had no idea where else to begin.

We grew up going to shows with him, collecting busses and other gear but never with the intensity and scrutiny Mike did. That being said, we have a lot of questions and figured we would turn here before we proceed. When Mike said “if you know how many you have, you don’t have enough”, we’re quickly discovering he took that to heart. There are a lot of small differences in knives and models and we are discovering that we just can’t keep up.

Feel free to shoot me a message if you would like to help with ID and differentiation. We will let you know what she is going to want to let go of when we can get a wrangle on the collection. God bless and I hope to hear back from some of his good friends.

I can definitely help with this on some level, if you just have pics to share. You can also start a new thread here with a paid 'Gold Membership' and ask about values, models, etc. That would likely be the easiest route to take.

On a side note, I have come to the point several times where I've been asked or asked myself how many knives I have and couldn't even begin to even ESTIMATE the number in a loose ballpark without taking some serious time to calculate in my head. That said, I am in the same boat of deciding that enough is enough and probably will be cutting my weight in INFI by half over the next year assuming there's still people out there that buy useless old Busse's and kin.

Glad to here you guys are finally getting to sorting through all of that, I can't imagine what sort of piles of steel he must have been sitting on. That is actually part of the reason for wanting to just get down to what I will actually use, I don't want to burden my family with both either the forever reminders of the past or the trouble of having to figure out what the heck to do with them. We went through this with my father in law's gun collection (who I was close with) and I couldn't even agree to keep any of them.

I do wish I would have met Mike before he passed, I had planned to and even tried to connect with him at his Columbus show many years ago but got caught in heavy traffic on the way down and missed him. Got to the show and could not find him and he graciously agreed to mail me the knives I was after when he knew that I truly had made it there as the show closed. RIP Mike....

I do not see a way to message you ?

please send me an e-mail.

azgunnut@earthlink.net

I called Mike Pops or Dad for a reason.

I met Mike at some of the shows, and I always enjoyed talking with him. As mentioned above, if you upgrade your membership to Gold, you can then ask in this forum about model names and values (Gold level is required to ask about values). You will also be able to use the "Attach files" option to include photos in your posts. Gold also enables instant messaging, or what is called "Conversations" (you will see an envelope symbol toward the upper right part of the screen). If you would like to contact me via email, please feel free to do so at mccg72@yahoo.com (do not use the BF email option - it points to an older email address that I rarely use). Take care!

Hi guys. Remember seeing you at Indy when I was there with Mike. Let me know if I can help.
I seem to remember he told me he kept a spreadsheet on his knives. You might see if Nancy can find it on his computer. Just a thought. Will try and remember to give her a call tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hi guys. Remember seeing you at Indy when I was there with Mike. Let me know if I can help.
I seem to remember he told me he kept a spreadsheet on his knives. You might see if Nancy can find it on his computer. Just a thought. Will try and remember to give her a call tomorrow.
Hey! Any chance you have an email? Nancy has been quite sick lately, we are praying for a quick recovery. Would love to catch up.

I remember talking with Mike about his wife at the columbus gun shows. I didnt remember the name, but I remember the love he had for her. Imiss Mike. Prayers for his family sent.

Back