Military 2???

The CQI updated Military was quite a bit different than pre-CQI, I’d venture to say that’s as much as it’s changing for some time. As voiced further up, a compression Military isn’t a Military. Not like the Manix switching locks early on and giving us the CBBL and backlock versions. The Military is iconic as-is now, call a compression lock/4-way clip version something like PM2 XL, but it wouldn’t be a Military.

I also think maintaining the integrity of the naming convention is important. People already get confused between a Military and Paramilitary.

If it's a compression lock then traditionally, it's not a "Military"

If its larger than the Paramilitary 2, perhaps it simply could be called a Paramilitary.

If it's a liner lock but smaller than the Military, maybe then the Military 2?

When sprint runs of Military with R.I.L lock came out, they were still called Military. If the length, thickness, and shape of the blade and handle of this new knife are the same as the production Military, to me it should still be called Military. If this knife becomes a regular production Spyderco, then it will need to be differentiated name-wise from the Military. In that case, Military 2 makes more sens to me than PM2 XL.

A PM2 XL should be a proportionally enlarged PM2.

1) with all due respect, I think Eric and Sal will name the knife

2) everyone focuses on different features that are important to them, but in the end the overall form and function of the knife are probably more important in terms of remaining consistent. For example, when the Endura first came out it had a plastic clip that was molded as part of the handle. Today, the current Endura does not have that same specific feature, yet it remains an Endura and fits the same form and function.

3) CQI and the fact that the Military came out in 1996, before the implementation of the compression lock (2001 I believe). If Eric and Sal think the compression lock is better than liner lock for this future model then I am personally sold.

1) with all due respect, I think Eric and Sal will name the knife

2) everyone focuses on different features that are important to them, but in the end the overall form and function of the knife are probably more important in terms of remaining consistent. For example, when the Endura first came out it had a plastic clip that was molded as part of the handle. Today, the current Endura does not have that same specific feature, yet it remains an Endura and fits the same form and function.

3) CQI and the fact that the Military came out in 1996, before the implementation of the compression lock (2001 I believe). If Eric and Sal think the compression lock is better than liner lock for this future model then I am personally sold.

1*-fXKvfupJw6OUDLTo3CzhA.jpeg

"Wrong!...it's a Military! Forest, trees...people, please."

I thought sal mentioned years ago that the original military would still be produced along side the military 2. Not sure if that's changed or not.

I also think maintaining the integrity of the naming convention is important. People already get confused between a Military and Paramilitary.

If it's a compression lock then traditionally, it's not a "Military"

If its larger than the Paramilitary 2, perhaps it simply could be called a Paramilitary.

If it's a liner lock but smaller than the Military, maybe then the Military 2?

There's already a Paramilitary. It's the 1st generation of the PM2. I carried that for years before the PM2 came out.

Nope. That sounds horrible.
Well "5 by 5" I mostly agree with you. I've always had the philosophy that "IF It Isn't Broke, Then Don't Try To Fix It. I've had such great luck and great performance using my M390 Military model for the past 3 & 1/2 years >>> and I've EDCed it that long because it's just a great hard use knife just the way it is. It's just a bit on the big side for an EDC folder but I've gotten used to it and it's legal in the state I live in.

Now Eric Glesser's idea of possibly adding a compression lock sounds intriguing. If the compression lock is similar to the one on the older/disco'd GUNTING model I would go for that in a heartbeat. But that's all I would want to see changed with the C-36 Military. But again I can agree with you that I could go on using the same design for many years to come and it wouldn't bother me a bit. Also I love the fact that they use the Military and Para2 to introduce all these great new blade steels.

Love the blade profile
Mahalo and Aloha - just needs a Spyderhole...!

I’m calling it the Slant Bowie. Kinda reminiscent of the cartoon Road Runner head at full tilt!

Could keep the flat grind easily as I love that but could also make a nice specimen in *hollow!*

Last edited:
I generally don’t like liner locks as I see them as being the weakest locking mechanism on a folder. That being said I do believe the liner lock on the military is about as perfect of an execution of this lock as it gets and the military is one my favorite all time folders. However I think a compression lock is better in every way while still retaining the convenience of a liner lock knife. It’s stronger, safer ( keeps fingers out of blade path while closing) , more fun and still allows for a flow through handle design. Also, the weight can be kept low like the present military and will even increase the weight/strength ratio and make for a more robust knife. It’s even cooler that it’s a locking system completely original to Spyderco knives and is personally one of my favorite locking systems for all the reasons mentioned above. Hell, some of the most popular models have compression locks and I doubt they would be anywhere near the level of folder super stardom if they were given liner locks. A pm2 or shaman with a liner lock? Nah. As much as I love the liner lock military, the same knife with the same blade and handle profile but with a compression lock would be absolutely perfect IMO.

Back