Military 2???

I generally don’t like liner locks as I see them as being the weakest locking mechanism on a folder.

It really depends on the implementation. It's not uncommon to see frame locks for example, with cut outs on the lock bar that are noticeably thinner than some liner lock folders. And while lock strength is one of the important factors in a lock, it's certainly not the only factor to consider. Convenience, ease of disengagement, impact on ergonomics are some other things that seem to play a role in many peoples' decisions. If lock strength were the only consideration (not saying that's what you meant), everyone would gravitate towards the Tri-Ad lock. But there are many other relatively weaker locks that can be preferable to users for various reasons. In those cases, the lock strengths are sufficient for the user's purpose, even if there are other stronger lock choices that could be made. And even if it were true that liner locks are the "weakest" (I'm not sure if that's true as a general statement), a well made one can be sufficient for the the needs and wants of the user, which can make the strength question moot since it provides the desired functionality.

I generally don’t like liner locks as I see them as being the weakest locking mechanism on a folder.

I spine whacked with a Military on a wooden work table very hard several times and it did not fail. I only wanted to test if it was more than strong enough for my purposes so I don't know where the failure point is and don't really care.

Most liner locks for sure would not pass that test. I even had a $300 frame lock knife from another brand on which I could force the lock to slip by hand.

Make it with the Smock style compression lock. There's more blade on the Military so you could probably design the choil to be more functional than the one on the Smock.

That would be different enough than the PM2's sporting the regular compression lock.

I spine whacked with a Military on a wooden work table very hard several times and it did not fail. I only wanted to test if it was more than strong enough for my purposes so I don't know where the failure point is and don't really care.

Most liner locks for sure would not pass that test. I even had a $300 frame lock knife from another brand on which I could force the lock to slip by hand.

You’re right, which is exactly why I stated that the military has a perfectly executed liner lock. It’s a good one for sure, but the compression lock is stronger. And you’re also correct that most liner and frame locks would not pass that test.

I would love a new Military version, but don't over think it.. If you are going to make blade and handle changes to make it look different, then it's not a military anymore, it's a new model. Just make some update with some of your newer/better features. Even basic knives are getting pricey anymore. If we add tons of crazy features that don't really improve the usefulness, then we are just asking for another $300 knife that does nothing better than the $150 version.

Must have updates:
1. Tip up left/right from factory. This has always been my biggest gripe with this model. You can leave a tip down option if you want for guys with small hands, but I wouldn't miss it.
2. Wire clip (black) and lanyard hole setup like the Para 2 Lightweight.
3. Flow through construction, no backspacer or closed construction.
4. Compression lock would be cool but I'm fine with the Ti liner lock as is..

Optional but nice:
1. Little more contouring on the edges of the G10 scales.
2. Maybe a FRN version without liners if you can make something that long stiff enough without them. With liners would be fine too. Guess this would be a cost/weight ratio thing from the manufacturers and the customers perspective. If the FRN w/ liners weights as much as G10 and costs almost the same, probably wouldn't be a market for it. If this could be a less costly version than the existing G10 versions, it could spark interest in new users and get them interested in the model by putting it in a lower price range.

Sal,
When's the P2 LW coming out :). I'm sure you guys could exclusively make those for 3 years non-stop and still be behind. Making the best knife made even better (lighter).

Last edited:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but personally the compression lock does nothing for me, and every single knife that has ever come open in my pocket and cut me has been tip-up carry. So even though my hands aren't really small, I still prefer tip down, thank you very much.

Does anyone know why it was decided to not release a military in s45vn with green diamond arc like the pm2/ para 3? I’d totally get one if they did.

Agree on establishing parameters.

How about this:

1. Paramilitary 2 scaled up to a size that gets it to a 3.9” blade.

2.Everything else to scale: blade width, height, Handle dimensions.

3. Compression lock

I just want to say that this is EXACTLY what I want and kind of why I didn't buy a Spyderco for 20 years after knowing about them. I personally really really dislike the blade/handle ratio of the PM2. I think it looks ugly and just feels wrong. And why why just under the golden 3.5 inch blade length?? Tactical? IMHO, no. EDC? Sure, but still could've fit an extra tenth of an inch to make it so much better (IMHO).

I realize I just went into the Spyderco forum and trashed the flagship model. Before you guys kick me out or flame me, know this... I bought my first Sypderco (kind of) a couple weeks ago. A Manix 2 XL and I absolutely love it. A week or so later I got a PM2... BUT it's the waved saber ground PM2 exclusive, which I'm sure many if not most of you consider not a true PM2.

All that being said, and assuming I don't get banned from this subforum, if Sal is listening, a PM2 variant with a longer blade (3.6-3.7 would be perfect). I'd give you my money, and I'm sure I'm not alone (please don't let me be alone).

The Military in S45VN with the forrest green G10 handle (Diamont Arc texture).
I need one - please.

The sprint run is cool in the sense everyone around the globe can buy one.
Well almost.

I would leave the military largely unchanged. Mabe some textured g10, mabe give the internals/hardwear the salt treatment. this knife is iconic, it’s spyderco’s buck 110. It also works wonderfully as designed in my opinion. For a folder this large , tip down works better. Probably one of the best liner locks I’ve ever used.

I would be very sad if the original Military was no longer available. If a Military 2 came about I would hope it would be sold along side the original. That being said, a S45 with green G10 would be a certain buy for me. Also a salt Millie with full serrations would be fantastic!

Am I the only one who would like to see the PM2 offered with a linerlock instead of the compression lock? Literally just a slightly scaled-down Military. I don't mind the compression lock now that I've gotten used to it, but I prefer the linerlock.

I agree with many others that the military liner lock is one of the best executed liner locks. IMO there aren’t many of the same caliber out there.

Back