Military ATS vs CPM???

I had been looking for a plain edge Military for some time and not much luck. I found one on EBay which was listed as a 2000 model in CPM440. I did get it at what I felt was a good price ($81.00 incl shipping plus a REKAT Carnivore for $82.00, same seller) but was somewhat disappointed when it came in the post today and was ATS-34! I have plenty of ATS knives and am v happy with them, but I'm not sure if I should keep the Military or send it back? What are the advatages/disadvantages of ATS vs CPM??
Help, and THANKS!!!

------------------

Well, it's a good deal, even with the ATS-34. Still, since you didn't get what was advertised, I'd be tempted to send the item back if there is a return policy.

As far as steels go, ATS34 is easier to sharpen, but 440V holds an edge much longer. I believe ATS34 has a slight edge in terms of corrosion resistance. Most Forumites have nothing but good things to say about the 440V. I faced the same decision a couple of weeks ago, and I went with the 440V.

Check the Spyderco Forum Archive and do a search with the keywords "ATS34 440V". There are a bunch of posts on this subject.

Here's one good one:
http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/001420.html

------------------
- Guyon
AKTI Member since 2000!

"The hardest knife ill-used doth lose his edge"
-William Shakespeare, Sonnet 95

[This message has been edited by Guyon (edited 04-04-2000).]

A Military for that price is a good deal. As for the steel, I wouldn't be concerned. I've been using a serrated ATS-34 Military almost daily for about 5 months. No complaints. I keep it sharp by regularly touching up the edge on a Sharpmaker.

Ishay, couldn't find an e-mail for you so had to post in the clear. If you are interested in a good, clean 440-V Military, no serrations, carried but not used, factory edge, contact me.

Bruce Woodbury

Thanks Bruce: but I think I'll be able to exchange the ATS for CPM. I appreciate the offer though
smile.gif

shayszazbo@aol.com

Back