Military Clasp Knives

That's a British WW1 pattern, like the one shown in the final pics of my post above (19). It's quite a bit larger than the WW2 pattern. Here's a quick pic comparing my Rodgers and Libert models (I've included my Sheepsfoot Charlow, so others can see the scale).

Been meaning to post pics of this William Rodgers WW2 pattern I picked up a couple of weeks ago.

Great thread. Towards the end of WWII the British were fighting in the hot and humid conditions of Southeast Asia so an all stainless knife was issued. This one was made by HM Slater.

31-01021.jpg

31-01024.jpg

Nice to see that S-K. I sometimes come across those knives on market stalls, though not in the excellent condition yours is in :thumbup:

Here's my only clasp knife, a Belgian model I had rehandled in ebony. I don't carry it; anyone who has encountered one of these knows they are big, heavy brutes. I keep it at home in the kitchen, ready to open packages and such for those times I don't have a knife in my pocket.

dsc0369xe.jpg

- Christian

Great looking scales Christian. Definitely not an edc but very solid for work around the house or garden. .

I usually carry mine in a belt pouch, I find the weight of the smaller ones OK, and the William Rodgers I have without the can-opener blade is almost lightweight! :)

I have an HM Slater clasp knife. A little smaller than the 1939 pattern so I assume later. I'd forgotten they're still in business when I was looking for my lambsfoot. Rather unhelpful website, with most things un-illustrated and the illustrations not labeled. (What's a Yankee pocketknife, I wonder?)
Actually the same size, though no bolster, and blade stamped 1951 (might be a clew).
PmYy5IYF

Last edited:
So what exactly is the 'spike' used for then? Working with rope and knots?

Yes. Though it does come in handy for all sorts of things :)

It's for shotgunning a cold one. ;)

:D

I have an HM Slater clasp knife. A little smaller than the 1939 pattern so I assume later. I'd forgotten they're still in business when I was looking for my lambsfoot. Rather unhelpful website, with most things un-illustrated and the illustrations not labeled. (What's a Yankee pocketknife, I wonder?)

Yes, a poor website, none of the Sheffield firms are very good at marketing themselves. I might make a trip up to Darnall sometime, the prices are very fair.

Great thread and amazing pics. As an aficionado of the TL-29, which so perfectly combines the pleasures of traditional knives and multitools, I'm thrilled to see another pattern that does the same thing. And look, there is a conveniently empty spot in my "to buy" list :D

These are the British Navy clasp knives from WWI and WWII. The Admiralty Pattern 301 appeared in 1910 and was the Royal Navy pattern into the 1930s. By WWII it was replaced with the smaller alloy-scaled knife.

015-12-07002-1.jpg

015-12-07005-1.jpg

JR42-1.jpg

I love to see that 301 S-K :) What is the blade length?

The WW2 pattern was one of the first knives I had, and the only knife I've ever lost. How I didn't hear it falling out of my bag I'll never know!

What do you think of the current knife being marketed as the British Army Knife? I think it's made by Joseph Rodgers.

i-qjCVVHH-M.jpg

What do you think of the current knife being marketed as the British Army Knife? I think it's made by Joseph Rodgers.

From what I hear, it's OK. Vanguard bought one a few months back, and said he was very impresed with it :)

I love to see that 301 S-K :) What is the blade length?

The WW2 pattern was one of the first knives I had, and the only knife I've ever lost. How I didn't hear it falling out of my bag I'll never know!

Hi Jack, Thanks. That knife still remains packed away from my house move. The spec for the handle length of the knife is 4.5 inches so I estimate the blade is about 3.5-3.75 inches.

Actually the same size, though no bolster, and blade stamped 1951 (might be a clew).
PmYy5IYF

Are there any markings on your top knife? It looks like and Indian made military knife. These had bone or pressed fibre handles and were a little bigger than the British WWII knives. Here's one between two British knives for comparison. It has some odd markings on it.

WWII-31014.jpg

WWII-31010.jpg

Last edited:
Back