Military Clasp Knives

A good week to revive this thread :thumbsup: I carried this hybrid pattern by James Barber on the 6th :thumbsup:

QPL7PEV.jpg

Nice Hybrid Jack.
I must admit I never seem to be able to snag a decent one of those. I have a couple but they're all a bit ropey with scales that have bulged outwards.
Mine all seem to be made by JU James too ?
One advantage I find of this pattern is my thumbnail doesn't get the same type of workout opening them, as on the ones I've handled the springs aren't as bear trap like :)
Do you know what years they made these ?

Nice Hybrid Jack.
I must admit I never seem to be able to snag a decent one of those. I have a couple but they're all a bit ropey with scales that have bulged outwards.
Mine all seem to be made by JU James too ?
One advantage I find of this pattern is my thumbnail doesn't get the same type of workout opening them, as on the ones I've handled the springs aren't as bear trap like :)
Do you know what years they made these ?

Thank you :) I have had a few ropey ones in this pattern too I'm afraid. The first one I found (by Nowill) had compressed fibre scales, which had swollen so badly, they had actually bent the Bird's Eye pivot, and I had to cut away the scales and re-peen it. Yes, they are certainly easier to open. Since they were never an official pattern, it's surprising how many were made. I think they started making them soon after WW2 started. I'd post a pic, but I'm afraid I'm on my phone at the moment :thumbsup:

Thank you :) I have had a few ropey ones in this pattern too I'm afraid. The first one I found (by Nowill) had compressed fibre scales, which had swollen so badly, they had actually bent the Bird's Eye pivot, and I had to cut away the scales and re-peen it. Yes, they are certainly easier to open. Since they were never an official pattern, it's surprising how many were made. I think they started making them soon after WW2 started. I'd post a pic, but I'm afraid I'm on my phone at the moment :thumbsup:

Thanks for that info' Jack, I was never sure if they were official issue pattern or not.
I saw one for sale the other day that had a spike on it too, I would have bought it but the guy was so rude I didn't want to give him my money :mad:.

Thanks for that info' Jack, I was never sure if they were official issue pattern or not.
I saw one for sale the other day that had a spike on it too, I would have bought it but the guy was so rude I didn't want to give him my money :mad:.

I have had one with a spike on. I think there were several hybrid patterns produced in the early part of the war, and also after the war, using up parts basically. I hate dealing with rude people, I don't blame you for walking away :thumbsup:

Hello
I recently seem to have come across quite a few of the WW2 pattern bexoid grip types that are just marked Sheffield England. No makers name or anything else on them.
Does anyone know if these are perhaps attributable to any particular manufacturer, or does anyone know why the makers name would have been omitted ?
Cheers
Dave:)

Hello
I recently seem to have come across quite a few of the WW2 pattern bexoid grip types that are just marked Sheffield England. No makers name or anything else on them.
Does anyone know if these are perhaps attributable to any particular manufacturer, or does anyone know why the makers name would have been omitted ?
Cheers
Dave:)

Anyone ? :)

Probably produced by small firms and jobbing cutlers, of which there were a great many in the city. They were a 'protected occupation' (though those of fighting age largely ignored the fact), and were forbidden to do anything but 'War work' during WW2.

This is a strange one, belonging to an old British friend of mine who doesn't remember where it came from!

7eY9fP5.jpg

80KO3ZF.jpg

ycP9nIm.jpg

8WWsN6o.jpg

Only marking is BEEWYSE on the can opener, pretty well made & though the springs are strong they aren't the nail breakers I've experienced on other clasp knives.
Anyone any info? Thanks.

Last edited:
From what I have found Beewyse manufactured webbing during and after the war with most being for private purchase. The scales look a lot like civilian sale knives of the 40's and 50's.

Had this Warriss British army knife from 1953, with military marks, for a while now. This week I picked up a relatively modern version by J.Gleave and Son Ltd. Excellent quality and locking main blade. :)

Untitled by Mark Saunders, on Flickr

- Mark

Nice Warriss Burma Knife, and that's an interesting knife from Gleave & Son :thumbsup:

Calling Jack Black Jack Black
This came up on the shopping site when I was looking for something else. It is being sold as IXL. Any info on who the maker might be?

That's a contemporary knife made by Eggington, who own the old IXL and Wostenholm marks. It's based on the WW2-issue 'Burma Knife'. It's a good pattern, but if you buy one, expect it to come with a dull edge. The steel isn't the best :thumbsup:

Anyone got any info on these Russian demo knives ? Build quality. Heat treat that kinda thing .just orderd it .it has me excited because iv had good luck with military knives recently
IMG_20210307_185621_341.jpg

Back