Military Clasp Knives

everyone - fantastic knives you have posted, Jack a great Thread Sir.

Here are the photo's of the I*XL I picked up the other day, I had to clean it up a wee bit, I used 0000 grade Steel Wool - as this doesn't take Patina off and therefore doesn't shine the metal.
I soaked it in a Mineral Oil bath for a couple of days, then used a tooth brush on the scales oiled the joints like the good knife tells me, here it is....

Thanks for the pics Duncan. That's an absolute classic, you got a good one there I think. The blade is in great shape. I like the way the bail on this model is still shaped like the previously used copper-bail, seems that even in war-time some of those old cutlers couldn't help but add a bit of class. Very nice knife. Hope you'll be carrying it my friend :)

I’ve been after a British Admiralty 301 pattern clasp knife for a good while, and wasn’t sure I’d ever come across one. Quite by chance I did, it was so rusted-up I nearly didn’t even recognise it for a knife among a load of old tools and tat. Despite its condition, it only took a couple of hours to clean it up, and I’m very pleased with it now

Last edited:
Great old Navy knife Jack. You did very well to find one and brought it back to a nice condition. Can you read the maker's name... Jos Allen and Sons perhaps?

Great old Navy knife Jack. You did very well to find one and brought it back to a nice condition. Can you read the maker's name... Jos Allen and Sons perhaps?

Thank you very much sir. I must apologise, in all the uploading, I 'lost' the photo of the tang stamp. It could only be read after cleaning - Harrison Brothers & Howson. I'll upload the pic and edit it in :)

Thanks for the further info Jack. That's one of my favourite Sheffield cutlery companies. Great find. Thanks for sharing it.

Dunc - That's in such a a good condition. We see so many of these clasp lines that have even totally ruined. It's nice to see that there are some good one a out there....albeit the wrong side of the hemisphere! ;)

Jack - Obviously this is a VERY special find. It's good to see some better pictures of 'before' and 'after'. You have done a cracking job of removing all the rust and rubbish, to restore this old gem. Again, the condition is incredible considering both it's intended use/user and years. Absolutely stirling stuff. What is not to love about it!?!?

Jack, wow! Just wow. That's a stellar looking blade. Congratz on that find and the succesful cleanup. It sure deserved to be cleaned the way you did. Breathtaking!

Jack - Obviously this is a VERY special find. It's good to see some better pictures of 'before' and 'after'. You have done a cracking job of removing all the rust and rubbish, to restore this old gem. Again, the condition is incredible considering both it's intended use/user and years. Absolutely stirling stuff. What is not to love about it!?!?

Thanks pal. Despite its condition before, I was surprised how easily it cleaned up, only took 2 or 3 hours. It may have been rusting away forgotten in a cupboard for years, but perhaps it's that that saved it from the grinder, something that I'm obviously very relieved about. Apart from all the rust and a bit of green paint, it was in great condition in every other way. There's a tiny nick in the blade, which is otherwise very blunt, but I'm very pleased with this one. I'll bring it over to see you soon, feels fantastic in hand :)

Jack, wow! Just wow. That's a stellar looking blade. Congratz on that find and the succesful cleanup. It sure deserved to be cleaned the way you did. Breathtaking!

Thank you very much :)

Wow! I love these before/after and all the steps in between threads!!!! :thumbup:

Beautiful knife!!!!!

That old thing sure cleaned up well!! When looking at the first pictures it was hard to see the real beauty there. Good eye and magnificent spa work!! How is the snap on it?
This is one that could steal a guys heart:D

That's a beauty and an inspiration- who'd have thought it could clean up like that?

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Yes, when I found it, it was in a real state, the spike was so rusted I couldn't even open it. Amazing what a bit of WD40 and some mineral oil can do. I used an emery pad on the worst of the rust and a green pad, some pipe cleaners and a bamboo skewer to help clean out all the dirt, as well as a toothbrush and nail brush. Finally, a bit of polishing compound on the blade. It was surprisingly fast to clean up though, just shows you, glad I didn't pass this one by :)

Great save on that, doesn't even look like the same knife!

Back