Military designs

cord wrapping can be really practical if it's epoxy or CA soaked. That's a big factor. with a tight wrap and some key points locked down, even unsoaked cordage can work great- it's been in use on military/combat blades for a very long time.

That being said, I'm not really all that fond of it, for myself. I've had cord wrapped knvies and know they can hold up well (my shop knife for over a year was cord wrapped). I just most often prefer a big fat wood/micarta/shadetree grip.

The dirk in question is at a new home now, with the expedition sheath it's really low profile. YOu can actually carry it on the hip, high riding, with an unbuttoned denim short and it doesn't print at all. pretty amazing.

It is over 3/16 thick at the hilt, even with the more acute angled convex it might be a bit much for the kitchen- OTOH, one of the bushbeaters has been on kitchen duty a lot lately.... and it does chop well....

Christof,

are you planning to make a smaller, thinner version of the dirk in the 5 inch arena?

This is the modern seax done up for deployment. I like the edge forward icepick for a signle edged fighter for several reasons, and this one will go right through a skateboard helmet and squash (all I had to test with)

About all I can say- photos show it off.

342-0001.jpeg

342-0003.jpeg

342-0004.jpeg

342-0005.jpeg

Christof,

are you planning to make a smaller, thinner version of the dirk in the 5 inch arena?

That's an interesting question. In that length I have the combat LBK, and the sgian dubh blades get right up there in length. Doing a cord wrapped dirk pattern in around 5-5.5 inches would be nice, though- the basic idea that you cna always undo a cord wrapped knife and make a spear out of it, and they survive throwing long term better than 'hard' handled knives. I've been slowly (lot sof orders backlogged right now!) working on some more chute knives and have been toying with a wider blade profile on one, too

That seax looks very nice. Freakin' Wharnie on 'roids. Like the way you relieved the tip a touch.

Seems like it would be wicked in a reverse grip. :eek:

Interesting bladeform, with the heavily dropped point. I'm curious about the reasons (better penetration...?)

To my eye, though, that sheath doesn't fit the shape of the blade. If I was going to still use a wrapped sheath like that, I think I'd have brought the tip of the sheath back much more aggressively. Right now, it looks rather as though it was intended for a different knife, but happened to fit this one reasonably well too. It's a perfectly sound and well-made sheath, it just doesn't look like it belongs to that knife.

Interesting bladeform, with the heavily dropped point. I'm curious about the reasons (better penetration...?)

To my eye, though, that sheath doesn't fit the shape of the blade. If I was going to still use a wrapped sheath like that, I think I'd have brought the tip of the sheath back much more aggressively. Right now, it looks rather as though it was intended for a different knife, but happened to fit this one reasonably well too. It's a perfectly sound and well-made sheath, it just doesn't look like it belongs to that knife.

I fought with this a bit. the main reason it ended up staying squared this is due to the carry possibilities of the user. I (not sure if Sierra has yet) have done some with drop forms and stitching up a secondary welt on the spine. In this case there's a distinct possiblity of strapping to gear with ranger bands and so we left it squared.

The dropped point started out as something I was doing on the regular modern seax- just bringing the spine down with a curve instead of a broken back type design. Transitioning to a deployment blade I made a few changes to the steel, grind, and handle, but kept the shape. It's a really strong tip for stabbing with, and the angle seems to work very well in the icepick grip. In a forward grip it slashes very well, but I could see a higher point being more ergonomic for fencing grip stabbing, for sure.

I recently sent another one similar in design off to someone else who has a similar, though more porcine, purpose.

Definitely a different design, but based on the straight edged seax.

I really like the seax a lot. I'll bet it would also be a real nice knife with a bit more additional length too, say a 8" blade.

That's an interesting question. In that length I have the combat LBK, and the sgian dubh blades get right up there in length. Doing a cord wrapped dirk pattern in around 5-5.5 inches would be nice, though- the basic idea that you cna always undo a cord wrapped knife and make a spear out of it, and they survive throwing long term better than 'hard' handled knives. I've been slowly (lot sof orders backlogged right now!) working on some more chute knives and have been toying with a wider blade profile on one, too

Let me check'em out, I'll come back to you after blade.

I like all 3 models ! the Dirk is Sweet !!!! Looks very similar to the one we traded on :thumbup:

And the Chute Knife I've been working on:

Integral guard, G10 scales, gunkote finish.

Gun Kote is nice. I think I may want to switch to one of the browns, but I'm undecided.

I'm not a huge fan of coated blades but the good thing about what you are doing there is that since you are using Gun Kote if the finish wears off the user has the option of re coating the blade. Unlike a lot of the production coated blades.:thumbup:

Yeah, Gun Kote also keeps protecting the steel after the visible finish wears off, too.

Gun Kote isn't the easiest to recoat unless I do screw on handle scales (considering it) but the oxpho-blue is almost ridiculously easy to touch up, since it goes on with steel wool and isn't terribly oil sensitive

Back