Military Filipino Machete

I got an email that the ginunting is ready to be shipped. I sent the money. In a few weeks, I'll let you know whether I'm stupid or the proud possessor of a shiny new machete.

That sure took awhile. Don't think I would be as patient. Glad you finally did get it and give a review once you put it through the paces. And don't forget some pics. :)

Matador-

Nice blade man! I jumped from page 1 to 4 - what length did you get? It's offered in two lengths right?

Love your Avatar Matador - the Old Man himself! :thumbup:

I'm sorry, somehow I missed this reply. I got the 17". I believe there was also a 21". I picked the smaller because it is closer to the stick length I am used to. So far, I love it. I'm not experienced enough to give any kind of an informed review though.

$170 is a really high price for a Filipino-made blade--I picked up two bolos for $11 a piece in the Visayas in December. :eek: That being said, the Typhoon ones look nice. I'll probably be in the Phils again in a few weeks, but $170 buys a lot of FHM balisongs and bolos...

What is the web-address for this company? Is there an https based e-commerce site where I can buy one? Also, is it the same company as: http://traditionalfilipinoweapons.com/Ginunting.html?

No, different companies.
The website where this ginunting came from Typhoon has been down a long time.I've been checking.It's gone.I'd buy from traditionalfilipinoweapons,they've been around a long time and have a good reputation as far as I've seen.I'd buy from them.

Last edited:
$170 is a really high price for a Filipino-made blade--I picked up two bolos for $11 a piece in the Visayas in December. :eek: That being said, the Typhoon ones look nice. I'll probably be in the Phils again in a few weeks, but $170 buys a lot of FHM balisongs and bolos...

Considering it's custom piece (i.e. - made to order, specifications for a purpose built design, attention to detail and fit and finish, as well as the labor of a dedicated artisan, etc.), I think it does deserve a higher price point. I've seen one up close and I can tell you it isn't the "hack" pieces you see in tourists traps or in the palengke (marketplace).

As for how high exactly, I can't aswer that. I believe that lies on the individual customer's satisfaction.

Last edited:
Considering it's custom piece (i.e. - made to order, specifications for a purpose built design, attention to detail and fit and finish, as well as the labor of a dedicated artisan, etc.), I think it does deserve a higher price point. I've seen one up close and I can tell you it isn't the "hack" pieces you see in tourists traps or in the palengke (marketplace).

As for how high exactly, I can't aswer that. I believe that lies on the individual customer's satisfaction.

Yeah, sure, it should be priced higher, but $170 is a lot for the Phils. I would definitely pick one up in the Philippines if it was priced at 2-3000 PHP though. :)

Back