Military Issued Knives and Bayonets Thread

Owen K.

Gold Member
There was some interest in having a thread for this so here it is. Military issued knives and bayonets only from past and present. Show us your war knives.

Here are my oldest ones.
A6qH6ZS.jpg

Last edited:
Here are my oldest ones. The top is a French bayonet for the M1866 "chasepot". Bottom is British WWI P1907 SMLE bayonet.
A6qH6ZS.jpg
That British model looks identical to one I have aside from mine has wood handles. The only marking is a c. Do you know if they had wood handles variants? I've never been able to find a exact match to it, and would love to know it's story.

That British model looks identical to one I have aside from mine has wood handles. The only marking is a c. Do you know if they had wood handles variants? I've never been able to find a exact match to it, and would love to know it's story.
I have no idea. Do you have Pics? It’s possible somebody made replacement ones.

I have no idea. Do you have Pics? It’s possible somebody made replacement ones.
Still working on pics, I'm tech illiterate. It's a ringer for first production British 1907, but I can't find info on any other sabre style. It's probably some obscure countries. Everyone used Enfields.

Here are my oldest ones. The top is a French bayonet for the M1866 "chasepot". Bottom is British WWI P1907 SMLE bayonet.
A6qH6ZS.jpg
I think that's the SMLE bayonet at the top. That handle shape stayed the same through the Commonwealth for near a century.

A6qH6ZS.jpg

I think that's the SMLE bayonet at the top. That handle shape stayed the same through the Commonwealth for near a century.

I believe the top/shorter one to be the bayonet M1917 for the M1917 rifle.

The M1917 rifle was nearly identical to the British Pattern 1913 rifle, so was often referred to as the Enfield*. This bayonet was also used with U.S. Army combat shotguns (trench guns), serving into the 1980s.
The M1917 bayonet was identical to the British Pattern 1913 bayonet, except for the U.S. markings. The vertical grooves in the grip scales differentiated this bayonet from the British Pattern 1907 bayonet, to avoid confusion in British service.

- World bayonets.

*Not the SMLE. Thats an altogether different rifle. The M1913 Enfield was to replace the SMLE/Smelly but that didnt happen.

Last edited:
Left to right
Bayo for the 1903 Springfield rifle in WWI later also used for the 03 and the M1 Garand in WWII.
A 1943 cut down to a shorter more manageable length after complaints by troops who did a lot of transport by plane and trucks. Later war versions came the new length.
M4 WWII for the M1 Carbine.
Last but not least a shorter bayo for the M1 Garand in the Korean War. (Actually it is the least literary) lol

I believe the top/shorter one to be the bayonet M1917 for the M1917 rifle.

The M1917 rifle was nearly identical to the British Pattern 1913 rifle, so was often referred to as the Enfield*. This bayonet was also used with U.S. Army combat shotguns (trench guns), serving into the 1980s.
The M1917 bayonet was identical to the British Pattern 1913 bayonet, except for the U.S. markings. The vertical grooves in the grip scales differentiated this bayonet from the British Pattern 1907 bayonet, to avoid confusion in British service.

- World bayonets.

*Not the SMLE. Thats an altogether different rifle. The M1913 Enfield was to replace the SMLE/Smelly but that didnt happen.
you are probably right. I haven’t really done my research on them that was just what the show has the tagged as. They were probably wrong. ;)

Last edited:
upload_2019-2-12_22-26-48.jpeg
The two on the left are cut downs as the blood groove extends all the way to the tip. The end cut on each is different as you can see. Think the far left is a sabre cut. Two on the right are the new factory corrected length and carry no date.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-12_22-25-48.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-12_22-25-48.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 1
Owen do you use an IPhone? I have learned to take the pic a little farther out then crop it. Seems to satisfy the max size requirement

Whats rifle was your Grandfathers bayo for.
I have 3 of the one you used. Got them years ago brand new surplus still wrapped in military packaging.
As a Air Force firefighter i did not carry arms just my trusty Buck 110.

Back