Military pics outside, in use, or just looking bada$$.

Relaxing on the deck while I enjoy a cold one and grill after a hard day at work.

29z76sm.jpg

Anyone here know if it is possible to put a G10 side on a factory Ti Millie, or vice versa? Similar to the old M4 Millies?
It's possible, a number of modders have done this. I think someone mentioned they had to mix and match blades to get a solid lockup. As far as I remember, it was someone who created a M390 Ti CF hybrid.

EDIT: found the thread:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1141014-Titanium-millie-blade-swap

@ SpeedHoles >> Yes, very possible (G10/Ti Millie similar to the original M4 Spyderco produced). Personally, I feel a full Ti Millie is just a bit heavy, and an all G10 a little light. A marriage of the two is ideal weight & balance imho, especially with consideration for selective blade steel options ;-)

Personally have done a number of composite Millies. I like to keep the lock-bar with a blade during a hybrid-Millie-build. Also, have found it works best to get knives with similar production-date-codes as small changes in various production runs happen from time to time (continued improvement model of Spyderco).

All Millies in these pic's are composite-Millies (preferential combination of selected parts from multiple Millies). Both RIL-Millie (Reeve Integral Lock) & Michael Walker liner-lock composite G10/Ti-Millies are the resultant product of these builds. The exception in these pic's is the Fluted-Millie (I have a CruWear blade for this one, but have not got around to the mod yet on this knife). Add some selective customization in the process, and the end results can be quite pleasing. Primary grinds of 2.5dps - 2.8dps along with secondaries of 15dps and/or 12-17dps variable asymmetric secondaries depending on intended usage.

Here's hoping the pic-uploads successful :)

Threes Company (three custom Ti/G10 & Micarta Millies:
Milli-Micarta-Ti-G10.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Another trio (two lower are Ti/G10 Millies, Fluted project knife upper):
IMG_20150110_200554422.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

RIL (Reeve Integral Lock) Ti/G10 Millie daily carry knife along with little brother modded PM2 (my daily carry pair) out along the White River (base of Mt Rainier):
IMG_20141114_161658189_HDR.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The Sage-2 in this pic has since been married to a Sage-1 in much the same way I do Millies (one is RIL, the other a Walker-Liner-Lock):
Millie-3x-PM2-Sage2-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cuscadi Micarta build RIL-Ti/G10-Millie; with matching gear pattern back-spacer including brass inserts (steel liner-delete on this one lightens things up a bit more 4.7oz):
3-Ti-Mic-Mili.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

4-Ti-Mic-Mili.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

5-Ti-Mic-Mili.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The palm-swell on this Micarta feels good in hand (kinda BM-Griptilian hand-filling), and the brass inserts on the back-spacer result well executed package:
PC180602.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Orange-Peal Finish to the Titanium (increases grip & reduces scratching/scaring),then electro-anodization on Ti & pocket-clip:
IMG_20150110_152624316.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Rounded Spine Treatment (feels & looks like sex - imho):
Spine-3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

By all means, they must be sharp (12-second video cleaving hair):
[video]https://instagram.com/p/vr9A92TNGv/?taken-by=gravityroller[/video]

Here's a link to a build I did back in January-2015 for a good buddy wanting a clean Walker-Liner-Lock G10/Ti-Millie. This knife just came back to me about a week ago :) An exceptional example imho.

At 8:30 into this video, I show quick comparison to my daily carry Millie RIL-Ti/G10 variable electro-ano with a really sweet orange-peal textured ano'd clip I did on this project.
At 9:45 into the video, I walk the viewer thru an actual final assembly (after all tolerances have been checked, fitted, adjusted the night before delivery - a video for new owner explaining the knife project).
[video=youtube;FQl1BaPNRVM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQl1BaPNRVM&list=PLKO2m4TQ_9r4TtiI449zwgjD fYYKk1vtZ&index=2[/video]

I hope viewing here is found somewhat as enjoyable as these are to build/own/use ...
Regards, Christopher

Last edited:
RE: the OP and Millies in the field.

Ice along the river with friends ...

IMG_20141119_162123.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Essentials:

Big-Bro, Little-Bro:
IMG_20141114_161810074_HDR.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Four more Millies in the knife build trays that I am getting motivated to work on again :)

Great thread, thanks guys

Regards, Christopher

The good ol' south paw edition Military, work sidekick.

Spey, all that custom work makes my Military seem well, basic.. And I need to change that now. (Ponders design schemes..:rolleyes:)

F7E8AEDD-AF4C-4087-8A81-DD6410A17E76_zpsogi0hwbg.jpg

The good ol' south paw edition Military, work sidekick.

Spey, all that custom work makes my Military seem well, basic.. And I need to change that now. (Ponders design schemes..:rolleyes:)

F7E8AEDD-AF4C-4087-8A81-DD6410A17E76_zpsogi0hwbg.jpg
802-303,

Wish I had a "Lefty" myself (my Millie's typically live on my left-hand side for left-side reverse draw). I have "learned" / adapted to using a right-handed knife in my left/offhand.

Using a lefty-Millie however, ... would limit options for customizations using off-shelf hard-parts.

If you have any q's, please feel free to message me. A "lefty" Millie would be a project of interest to me from a build perspective.

Regards, Chris

Last edited:
802-303,

Wish I had a "Lefty" myself (my Millie's typically live on my left-hand side for left-side reverse draw). I have "learned" / adapted to using a right-handed knife in my left/offhand.

Using a lefty-Millie however, ... would limit options for customizations using off-shelf hard-parts.

If you have any q's, please feel free to message me. A "lefty" Millie would be a project of interest to me from a build perspective.

Regards, Chris

Chris, I like where this is going. Let me gather ideas. I'll private message you in the coming days, and we'll work on a project build.

Millie project in need of a donor G10 Digi Scale (right-side only) for a project build for a good friend. Finished Knife will be a RIL Ti/G10 Millie Navy Blue DigiCam for an xMarine bud. Similar build as others posted earlier in thread (posts 263 & 264) Pic's here upon completion.

802-303, let me know when you want to discuss Millie build options ;-)

Sent you an email this morning. [emoji106]
@802-303,
No email as of 1:53p PST 9/8/2015 (maybe check your Drafts Folder and/or your OutBox to confirm email left your device and/or server ...?)

EDIT: 2:04p just checked my Junk/Spam InBox Folder - no email there. Look fwd to msg related to Millie project ;-)

Last edited:
Spey, sent you a visitors message.

Back on topic, lefty when it opened the mid year release catalog. I don't always open my mail with the military, but when I do. It's picture worthy...
289DDB7F-C0AC-430B-ACC5-7E9E29744014_zpsaqdwpohy.jpg

Back