Military pocket clip and ergo

sharp_edge

Gold Member
Let me start by saying that I am a big Military fan (currently have six) and I know the Military is a long-proven model. The ergonomics of it is also among the best folding knives that I have ever tried.

With that being said, only when I removed the pocket clip of two of my Military folders recently did I realize that the pocket clip contributes so negatively to the ergo. I believe the tip-down only position is a major factor here too. I mean, with the clip on the ergo is still good but if you remove it, boy the ergo becomes even much better. Suddenly the knife feels much thinner and more comfortable in hand. If you have not done so, I suggest you to give it a try.

Anyone share this feeling? Anyone carry the Military without the pocket clip? Any after market pouch or sheath for it?

Anyone share this feeling? Anyone carry the Military without the pocket clip?

Yes I do - for the G10 copies that is. For the Ti copies I leave the clip on as it gives some protection to the frame lock.

Any after market pouch or sheath for it?

I have several ones. My favorites are from our own Marek (https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wicekleather-my-works.1051530), his work is great and not too expensive. And yes, he will also make you a sheath for a Military without clip.

Cheers,

Roland.

I just wish they would switch from tip down to tip up. Already got cut and don't want it to happen again. Carrying it in the back pocket is inconvenient but it works.

I carry the Military as it was perfectly designed.

I have a Police that is etched. It is a pocket shark. I don't clip it to my pocket because it's a shark. There's no way in hell I'm taking the clip off just because it's not clipped to my pocket.

RXOSIBN.jpg

Last edited:
IMO, the pocket clip in the more recent Military models is a subtle improvement over the one from several years ago, on which the end was almost 'squared'. The more recent clip has the edges of the end a bit more rounded. With the older model's clip, sometimes when walking and not thinking, I've bumped my finger on the corner of the almost-square slip end and felt a little "Owie".

Jim

I agree with you OP. I don't mind tip down carry, to carry, but when the knife is in hand, the clip just feels kinda in the way.
I haven't tried leaving the clip off - tip up Military is way better, for me.

kiIGNNd.jpg

Last edited:
I like the Military clip just the way it is and it's one of my favorite Spyderco platforms as well. It's how I learned to carry the knife and after so many years, I was just used to the tip down carry. Tip up or tip down matters not to me, I'm pretty versatile.

I resisted the Military for years because it was tip down and not reversible. I finally tried one about a month ago and now I have 4. Still on the look out for more and I’ve got plenty of trade fodder!

Seriously though, the clip doesn’t bother me at all, it’s no more irritating than any other clip when in use. I actually like the tip down orientation on a larger knife and it’s as safe as anything else when placed in the back pocket next to my wallet. Frees up the front pocket for my gun!

Last edited:
I resisted the Military for years because it was too down and not reversible. I finally tried one about a month ago and now I have 4. Still on the look out for more and I’ve got plenty of trade fodder!

Seriously though, the clip doesn’t bother me at all, it’s no more irritating than any other clip when in use. I actually like the tip down orientation on s larger knife and it’s as safe as anything else when placed in the back pocket next to my wallet. Frees up the front pocket for my gun!

Exactly what was expressed in the latest video from Spyderco!

Tip down for anything over 3.5" and backlock is the best lock!

I just really hope spyderco doesn’t alter the design. I really don’t want a compression lock on the Millie at all . I don’t care if they offer a 4 way clip option, but I hope that’s it. Don’t screw with a model that’s been successful for decades.

I have about 25 knives in my all user rotation & 10 of them are Spyderco folders. I think Spyderco makes fantastic knives. That said, every single three-screw pocket clip is terrible. The wire clips are easily better. I’ve said it before but there is no good reason to continue using 1995 clips on 2020 knives.

I prefer the wire clips as well. I seem to always have issues with the hardware on the regular clips.

I'm as big a fan of the Military as any (Currently own about 8) but a 4 way (wait for it ) deep-carry wire clip would be an improvement. Never felt the wire clip needed to be restricted to lightweight models.

If they were to have a wire clip version, I’d rather it be an alternate option rather than a complete changeover. I’m one of the apparent few who absolutely hates wire clips.

Jim

Back