Military tip up mods

8c2lQdC.jpg

Reaching past the jimping on the blade hump was the biggest reason I got mine converted to tip up.
There is no liner on that end of the Military, the liners don't extend that far. As for the number of threads, as far as I can tell all Spyderco knives with liners have the screws tapped into the liners and it seems to work OK as long as you don't monkey with them too much. I always thought the easiest way to do a tip up mod would be to get a small piece of metal the same thickness as the liner, put it inside the scale on the bottom end, and drill and tap 3 holes in it. Then just unscrew the clip from one end and screw it onto the other end. But then I don't have all that much luck with taps and I'm not brave enough to try it with a tap that small.
My bad. I was thinking of a Camillus and/or a Kershaw with a tapped liner. If you multiply the thickness of the liner in decimal inches by the number of threads per inch of the pocket clip screw (usually 52TPI), you get the number of threads holding the clip. A custom nut with 3 holes in it could work, but the number of threads holding the screws/clip still need to be considered. The other problem with tapped liners is that the clip screws can bump into the blade in the neighborhood of its pivot swing if they are too long.

Tip up Military works great for me.
Partly 'cos I'm so used to tip up carry but also 'cos I don't really like the clip under the forefinger end of my hand when using the knife.

Sketchen scales with 2 nuts recessed into the G10 and a standoff instead of the lanyard tube.

DSC00320_zpsvkelwoa0.jpg

Back