Military vs. Chief

Native Chief or Military

• Chief

Votes: 55 59.8%
  • Military

Votes: 37 40.2%

• Total voters
As much as I have enjoyed the Golden Made NATIVE models I've had over the years and I do plan on getting a Native Chief at some point depending on what steel they offer it in. But I'm doubtful if it will ever take the place of my EDC M390 Millie that has dominated my pocket as my main EDC for some time now. Or any other Millie with top notch steel in it for that matter. I am anxious however to see what all different blade steels that they will offer that Native Chief in.

So at this time my vote will go to the C-36 Military model.

Reactions: vba
I've been wondering how flexy the Çhief handle is? There's no liners but there that huge back spacer

After reading this thread, it got my curiosity and decided to get one. It just came in today. I agree with sgt1372 sgt1372 , I like it a lot. I really like the profile of the knife.
So, I'm in the keeping both camp. cbrstar cbrstar , the G10 feels pretty stout, of course I haven't put it to work yet. Initial thought is that it will hold up just fine for many years.

kNBFQlr.jpg

I am definitely buying one soon. I have a carbon shaman coming so I
have to budget!
I REALLY like the Chief's blade. It looks epic!

The Native Chief hasn't left my pocket for a week, which is LONG time for me to carry a knife.

I usually carry a different knife every day or 2. So, I guess I must like it. ;)

Mili. #1 work knife. The backlock of the native family may be stronger but it's far slower and takes more steps to retract. Quick return is important when breaking stuff down. Get it out and get it away as fast as possible. Only the compression lock is faster.

Reactions: vba
The Chief has been out in the market for a while and I would appreciate more USERS chime in with their review on the knife based on their experience of using it, in comparison to the Millie, which has gone through the long history of being used, tested, and proved.

The pooling result, which favors the Chief, I suspect has more to do with it being a new model (yes I know it belongs to the native series but still).

I really like the native 5 and my millie so it seems that I will like the native chief. With the thumb ramp and lock difference on the native 5, it seems like they're very different knives besides the blade and handle length. I feel like the police 4 could get thrown in there as well as a "high-end user" knife from spyderco in the big folder category.

The one thing I love about the millie is the big handle and multiple holding positions. The handle especially makes it nice as a harder use knife, or at least using it for longer durations. I'm curious if the slimmer design of the chief limits that some, like a CS broken skull or endura might.

I think steel liners are over-rated on a well-designed knife. Synthetic materials are surprisingly strong and some of the flexible materials add toughness if they rebound when temporarily deformed. I'm happy spyderco has offered that in the chief, though the partial liners in the millie certainly still give it a nice weight reduction over other big folders with full liners.

Gonna start carrying mine for work tomorrow. I carried the (blue S110V) Military for a while and liked it. If I can ask for a Chief Sprint, I would go for a brown G10 with M390/204P/20CV.

I don't have a Chief yet (saving my $ for my next chance to get a new spydiechef) but I strongly believe I'll prefer the Chief over the Military.

Anyone feels the finger choil on the Chief blade too big? Is it in the same size as Native 5? Looks bigger than that of Military?

I don’t own a Chief, but I own Millie’s. I like the fact that the Chief is cheaper and has a thinner blade and shorter handle. I like the liners on the Military though and the belly better. I also like the smaller choil on the Military. I guess I need both.

I don’t own a Chief, but I own Millie’s. I like the fact that the Chief is cheaper and has a thinner blade and shorter handle. I like the liners on the Military though and the belly better. I also like the smaller choil on the Military. I guess I need both.
Definitely. Should not be military vs chief, they are so different IMO. Need both to appreciate the differences between the two

Back