Military vs. Chief

Native Chief or Military

• Chief

Votes: 55 59.8%
  • Military

Votes: 37 40.2%

• Total voters
Love the concept, a larger native, but don’t need another large since I have Mili and Police4 already. I’ll scratch my Spydie-itch with a teal Dragonfly.......for now

Love the concept, a larger native, but don’t need another large since I have Mili and Police4 already. I’ll scratch my Spydie-itch with a teal Dragonfly.......for now

Depends on your point of view.

I already had 4 Police and 5 Millie variations, as well as many other larger Spyders before I grabbed a Native Chief when it was released and before buying a used Bob Lum Large Folder that popped up on EB recently. Still looking for the PE/PS variations of the Renegade which is a larger knife too.

I'm always on the look out for any "large" folder preferably in the 3.5-4" range but 5" just seems a bit too large to me for a folder (like fixed blades better in the length) which is why I am going to sell my Takanka. Have it listed in my signature line FSOT but haven't posted an ad or actively tried to sell if yet. No rush to sell/trade it because I don't "hate" the knife; just don't think it fits that well in my collection.

Reactions: vba
Depends on your point of view.

I already had 4 Police and 5 Millie variations, as well as many other larger Spyders before I grabbed a Native Chief when it was released and before buying a used Bob Lum Large Folder that popped up on EB recently. Still looking for the PE/PS variations of the Renegade which is a larger knife too.

I'm always on the look out for any "large" folder preferably in the 3.5-4" range but 5" just seems a bit too large to me for a folder (like fixed blades better in the length) which is why I am going to sell my Takanka. Have it listed in my signature line FSOT but haven't posted an ad or actively tried to sell if yet. No rush to sell/trade it because I don't "hate" the knife; just don't think it fits that well in my collection.
Good luck finding a Renegade. I scored a Blackhawk many years ago and spent way too much time trying to find a clean specimen of it's running mate. Especially a PE. I saw some SE and PS early on but no plain edged.

It's going to be hard for any XL newcomer to knock the Military off the top of the hill. I don't know what to make of my Chief yet. It is so different. So far, it feels like the Pattada, the most, with it's thinnish, pointy blade. I am going to have to bring out my bigger Spydies (including the Caly 3.5), and do a comparison. The fit and finish is great, as usual.

Last edited:
Just received the Native Chief and I like it a lot!

In fact, I think that I actually like it better than the Police 3, Military G10 and Resilience that are pictured with it below. Although it has a 4" blade (give or take a fraction), as all of the others do, it doesn't feel like you are holding a sword, as you do w/the Police 3 and Resilience; its thinner handle is more comfortable to hold than the Military; and, the lack of a hump and the better visual balance between the blade/handle makes the knife generally more aesthetically appealing to me than the others. I'll post further comments after I've had a chance to actually carry it later.

A very nice alternative for those like me who like to carry bigger knives like these (like I do). :)

MDtLvasl.jpg
No Manix XL? (picture)

Last edited:
IMG_6207.jpg I own a g10 military (second time) and do like it quite a bit. I prefer the g10 model bc of the lighter weight and also have a native chief in route (eta Monday). Excited to get it as i love large folders (especially when they are LW and thin or slim) and been eyeing it since the drop. Ill wait til i can compare both in hand to vote but considering the slim, thin, LW package of the chief im anticipating liking it alot. I dont own a police yet but do own a calypso 4"+ blade and brown g10 and am curious how the chief will compare to that also. I went ahead and threw a manix 2XL and a resilence in the pic also.

Good luck finding a Renegade. I scored a Blackhawk many years ago and spent way too much time trying to find a clean specimen of it's running mate. Especially a PE. I saw some SE and PS early on but no plain edged.

I "found" a PE Renegade for sale on EB at auction. I sniper bid $350 figuring no one would pay that much. Someone actually outbid me at $355. Needless to say, I'm still looking for one of those. LOL!!!!

OBTW, I was able to buy a PS Renegade for a much more reasonable price in a private/non-listed deal here on BF. :)

I "found" a PE Renegade for sale on EB at auction. I sniper bid $350 figuring no one would pay that much. Someone actually outbid me at $355. Needless to say, I'm still looking for one of those. LOL!!!!

OBTW, I was able to buy a PS Renegade for a much more reasonable price in a private/non-listed deal here on BF. :)
Yeah, I'm retired now and that's way out of my price range.

Reactions: vba
IMG_6270.jpg IMG_6271.jpg Got the native chief in A couple days ago. Sweet folder. Havent had a chance to carry it out yet but have been around the house. I like the packaging Alot and has that PM2 texture G10 which i like. its pretty smooth for a lock back and finger flicks much better than my enduras after a little tuning. Its a great knife overall with good f+f as expected but i still like the military better i think as I prefer its blade shape and smaller choil but i do like the chiefs smaller handle profile which still has plenty of real estate and carrys better and is less obtrusive in the pocket which is its design advantage.

EDIT: and of course the chiefs tip up!

Last edited:
Back