Miners axe, rafting axe, construction axe

This axe now has more answers than questions! Forest King Mystery solved by Vintage Tool! I've suspected these iconic Forest King axes (the one with yellow/blue label and sky blue paint) were made in the Collins factory because they match Collins shapes, steel and forging. Contacted Council Tool and their CEO confirmed that they were indeed made by Collins, then Mann (presumably still in the Collins factory) and then by Council Tool for a short time. They were white labeled (no stamp, until Council, just sticker) for a large wholesaler in Seattle listed below. Thanks Steve for posting that Council Tool image, probably wouldn't have solved it without that.

Word Mark FOREST KING
Goods and Services
(EXPIRED) IC 008. US 023. G & S: AXES, SHOVELS, AND MACHETES. FIRST USE: 19671001.
FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19671001
Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS...
Serial Number 72453197
Filing Date April 2, 1973...
Registration Number 0997524
Registration Date November 5, 1974
Owner (REGISTRANT) RAYMOND, DON DBA FOREST KING UNKNOWN 1002 AIRPORT WAY S. SEATTLE WASHINGTON 98134

Here are some red herrings (?):
vintage-forest-king-axe-label-oakland-maine_1_a4d852ae159a127ad3e9545e853a8853.jpg

Forest King Axe, Emerson & Stevens

Smarts%20Forest%20King.jpg

Forest King Axe, James Smart Mfg. Co.

Another red herring (?):
vintage-forest-king-axe-handle-nos-hickory-28-inch-single-bit-boys-axe-handle-nr-321056b73114d936d3cf75983e079788.jpg

Forest King replacement handle

Another red herring (?):
YesteryearsTools lists "Forest King" as one of two dozen "brands associated with the Warren Axe & Tool Co."

But...
logging-brush-axe-forest-king-excellent-shape_1_e4fe37e928c63c330ac41976da4aea77.jpg

"Forest King" label on brush axe, with Council Tool stamp.

Similar label on light-blue axe heads:
s-l225.jpg

https://goo.gl/images/xErGpV

Closer to the truth (?):
data.jsp

Word Mark FOREST KING
Goods and Services
(EXPIRED) IC 008. US 023. G & S: AXES, SHOVELS, AND MACHETES. FIRST USE: 19671001.
FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19671001
Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS...
Serial Number 72453197
Filing Date April 2, 1973...
Registration Number 0997524
Registration Date November 5, 1974
Owner (REGISTRANT) RAYMOND, DON DBA FOREST KING UNKNOWN 1002 AIRPORT WAY S. SEATTLE WASHINGTON 98134

Looks like a "private label" for a retailer or distributor in the Seattle area.

I remember reading history somewhere recently that Mann May have continued using the Collins factory for a short period but I’m going to have to find my source for that. By most accounts you’re right, it does sound like it closed in 66’ but Mann did move all the equipment to Lewistown so they would have continued the production there, likely unchanged. I’ll get a definitive on the Collins plant.

How long did Mann keep the Collins factory operating? I thought the plant closed when Mann bought them out.

There’s only been one photo that surfaced of a red version and it was stamped Council, so yes. The blue were Collins/Mann. They were not stamped since it was a white label axe sent to a wholesaler in Seattle. The Wholesaler applied the stickers and installed their own hafts.

It appears the red ones are Council Tool and the blue are Mann or Collins? I have not seen them with a Collins stamp yet.

I’m glad to be able to add my contribution to this thread!
A 5lb Forest King on the original handle. (34.5”). It still has most of the label, paint, and the bit and poll are both unblemished.
SdPbS3Y.jpg

4KqjQky.jpg

QT1GYst.jpg

fcXJ1Sp.jpg

3UGtTw1.jpg

juy6Mgd.jpg

mMG71FQ.jpg

At3lzIU.jpg

Cheers!

Awesome score!

Now you need another that ain't so pretty for a user.

Because of their weight these make devastating splitters. I think we determined that these Forest Kings were made by Mann and marketed by a Seattle-based reseller.

I sent them an email inquiry.

I got a response this morning.

"Hello Tom,

I'm not really sure what you are referring to with the pattern, but the axe does look just like it does in the images on our website. Please let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.

Best Regards,
Christopher"

I placed an order. Let's see what I get.

Back