Miners axe, rafting axe, construction axe

Competition 'Racing' axes are usually pinned for safety liability concerns.

It's required in the Stihl Timbersports Series. It's not about making the axe last longer. It's about preventing an axe head from flying off into the audience. Liability.

https://www.stihlusa.com/stihl-timbersports/resources-and-training/competition-axes/

Throwing leagues also typically require pinned heads.

http://www.northlandaxemen.com/rules.php
http://forestry.sfasu.edu/faculty/s...php/conclave/physical-events/103-axe-throwing

So, if I run any 3.5lb-ish single bit pattern on a 20"-28" straight handle it is a Miner's Axe?

So, if I run any 3.5lb-ish single bit pattern on a 20"-28" straight handle it is a Miner's Axe?
Quite a difference between 20" and 28". If you can find a thick enough 'club' to start with and temporarily wedge the hang you can keep trimming the butt end until you're comfy with the length. And then shape the swell and thin out the handle. Of maybe do a mock up with a shovel handle (with axe head or weight attached) and keep shortening it until you say 'quit'.
I hung a 5 lb Plumb on become-overall-length 34" straight (considerably slimmed down maul handle) last summer and I'm very happy with it as a wood splitter. Miner axes were designed for use in confined spaces and were probably choked-up for one hand use as well. You may want to consider what the end use is for yours. But a 3 1/2 lb'er on a 20" ought to make a very convincing 'house axe' for kindling!

It is if you ask Council or Vaughan.

But you and I know what would happen if we used such an axe in place of one that had thickened eye walls and a hardened poll. They simply would not stand up to the abuse (being used as a maul). The eye and poll would deform. We've seen plenty of those.

A "rafting axe" in Council Tool's 2006 catalog, and it's called a "rafting pattern" in their 2005 catalog, but it doesn't specify that the poll is hardened:

Rafting Axe -- 4# head on 20" and 28" handles; 5# head on 28" and 36" handles

Rafting Pattern
Single bit rafting axes feature wider polls with a generous radius. They are used to limb and drive chain saw wedges.

RaftingAxe.jpg

Miner's axe - doesn't need have to be a rafting pattern with a hardened poll - Found normally at 20" in the wild?
Rafting axe - Hardened poll rafting pattern - length unspecified?
Construction axe - Hardened poll rafting pattern on a "shorter" handle?

Quite a difference between 20" and 28". If you can find a thick enough 'club' to start with and temporarily wedge the hang you can keep trimming the butt end until you're comfy with the length. And then shape the swell and thin out the handle. Of maybe do a mock up with a shovel handle (with axe head or weight attached) and keep shortening it until you say 'quit'.
I hung a 5 lb Plumb on become-overall-length 34" straight (considerably slimmed down maul handle) last summer and I'm very happy with it as a wood splitter. Miner axes were designed for use in confined spaces and were probably choked-up for one hand use as well. You may want to consider what the end use is for yours. But a 3 1/2 lb'er on a 20" ought to make a very convincing 'house axe' for kindling!

Agreed.

Last edited:
Miner's axe - doesn't need have to be a rafting pattern with a hardened poll - Found normally at 20" in the wild?
Rafting axe - Hardened poll rafting pattern - length unspecified?
Construction axe - Hardened poll rafting pattern on a "shorter" handle?
I think some manufactures made them with hardened polls(Dayton pattern, maybe others?). Some marketed the hardened polls as freighters axes(not all were harden polls). The difference between the freighters axes and the miners seem to be that the freighter's were 30-32 inch curved hafts.
41-3

Is there any confirmation that Kelly or Warren freighters axes had hardened polls?

I'm not sure. I just saw the freighter axes after one of us here hung a boy's axe size head on a longer handle.

I think this was actually what I was looking for as far as the miner's axe:
BHvnph8.jpg

Here are miner axes mentioned in the 1938(or 1937?) catalog that has been posted here. I did not actually see a description of their actual Rafting Pattern as being hardened. I've been accused of not reading closely before though.

The ones I have are very beveled at the poll and show signs of chipping in some cases.

Last edited:
I don't have much on Warren. I don't even think their 37 catalog even has their rafter in it. Maybe its just the catalog I have?

As far as Kelly and their freighters having hardened polls. I don't know. But I would be surprised if they didn't at some point in time given the hardened polled axes they did make.

The Plumb is 26" and the Mann is 24.5"

Miner.rafting
by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

I actually use and quite enjoy a 30" Collins (marked opposite side) with a handle set up just like the Plumb in the picture. I find it does a great job splitting if your rounds are setting on another round/block.

300Six, I bet you are right that the shorter handles are something suited to tighter quarters, choking up, and being persuasive lol.

Is there any confirmation that Kelly or Warren freighters axes had hardened polls?

I don't have much on Warren. I don't even think their 37 catalog even has their rafter in it. Maybe its just the catalog I have?

As far as Kelly and their freighters having hardened polls. I don't know. But I would be surprised if they didn't at some point in time given the hardened polled axes they did make.

I haven't seen anything about them being hardened, yet. I have wondered about Freighter and Dock Axes.

OKiP76Q.png

American Axe and Tool Co. made a rafting pattern as well. (Thank you Rose Tools)
HN2FdiE.png

Keen Kutter’s Klicker seems listed as “Hardened Poll” 1931 catalog

d7TvS5A.jpg

Simmons/Keen Kutter also listed these as having hardened polls (1912) The Hardened Yankee
bJPXHoH.png

Perhaps mentioned earlier in this thread, the 1957 True Temper Striking Tools catalog showed Flint Edge "Constructors Axes", and under this category were "Dock Axes" (Dayton pattern), and "Rafting or Mauling Pattern". The Dock Axes were available with 3-1/2, 4, 4-1/2, and 5 pound heads, on 36" straight handles. The "Rafting or Mauling Pattern" was available with 4 and 5 pound heads, on 26" straight, 36" straight, or 36" bent handles. All of these Rafting and Dock axes are said to have "heads specially heat treated and tempered for use as maul." Real-life examples of Flint Edge rafting axes clearly have hardened polls.

In contrast, the listing for "Miner's Axes" (on the same page of this catalog) shows no indication of a hardened poll. These "Miner's Axes" are available in either Jersey or Dayton pattern; with head weights of 3, 3-1/2 or 4 pounds; and with 20" or 26" straight handles.

BookReaderImages.php

Yep, that's a Walters and it does show some sign of mushrooming. Sorry that other one fell through for you. I was glad to hear that JB fixed you up.

Here's another of my hardened poll axes. This one is a True Temper Dayton pattern. Surprised the heck out of me when I took a file to it. It's quite hard.

A6-2.jpg

“Dock axe, Dayton pattern”?
Circling back a bit.

Back