Mini Bugout

I thought the choice of orange or white scales was kind of a strange one myself. Black or blue seems like the obvious choice, but I imagine they wanted to give some variety to the people who already have a standard Bugout. I do think the white and black is pretty darn slick though. Great looking knife in my opinion. The blacked out hardware and liners are a nice touch too. I’m sure the white scales would be really easy to Rit dye if someone had a mind to too.

Mine came in today (white and black) and I gotta say that i’m a little disappointed in it. The action is pretty dang stiff. Probably the stiffest of all my knives. It's actually a bit tricky to open and close it one handed it's so stiff. The handle to blade weight ratio feels off to me, like the blade is just a bit too heavy or the handle too light... And the handle has more flex than I would prefer. For some reason I figured the shortened handle length would reduce some of the flex that you get with the standard Bugout, but that’s not the case. I think the CF Elite scales would have been a great choice here but I assume that would have hurt sales on the full-sized Bugout with CF Elite scales. It has a pretty coarse edge that isn't super sharp but the grind is pretty great. Just about as even of a bevel as I've seen on a production knife, so that's good.

Kind of a bummer. The fairly high price had me a bit hesitant about the Mini Bugout, but I LOVE my 555-1 and Triage so I was hopeful... I really wanted to love the Mini Bugout but alas it just isn’t meant to be I think. :(

OZpVVHK.jpg

u5Sk7XR.jpg

CD5q9Zk.jpg

4phGyO4.jpg

Last edited:
I thought the choice of orange or white scales was kind of a strange one myself. Black or blue seems like the obvious choice, but I imagine they wanted to give some variety to the people who already have a standard Bugout. I do think the white and black is pretty darn slick though. Great looking knife in my opinion. The blacked out hardware and liners are a nice touch too. I’m sure the white scales would be really easy to Rit dye if someone had a mind to too.

Mine came in today (white and black) and I gotta say that i’m a little disappointed in it. The action is pretty dang stiff. Probably the stiffest of all my knives. It's actually a bit tricky to open and close it one handed it's so stiff. The handle to blade weight ratio feels off to me, like the blade is just a bit too heavy or the handle too light... And the handle has more flex than I would prefer. For some reason I figured the shortened handle length would reduce some of the flex that you get with the standard Bugout, but that’s not the case. I think the CF Elite scales would have been a great choice here but I assume that would have hurt sales on the full-sized Bugout with CF Elite scales. It has a pretty coarse edge that isn't super sharp but the grind is pretty great. Just about as even of a bevel as I've seen on a production knife, so that's good.

Kind of a bummer. The fairly high price had me a bit hesitant about the Mini Bugout, but I LOVE my 555-1 and Triage so I was hopeful... I really wanted to love the Mini Bugout but alas it just isn’t meant to be I think. :(

OZpVVHK.jpg

u5Sk7XR.jpg

CD5q9Zk.jpg

4phGyO4.jpg

Although I am sorry for your disappointment, but maybe I’ll be looking for this in the for sale section ;) you know, one mans trash....

Although I am sorry for your disappointment, but maybe I’ll be looking for this in the for sale section ;) you know, one mans trash....

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad knife at all. I hope my post didn't come off too negative. For the most part, my gripes (stiff action, flexible handle that is too light) are pretty subjective. In fact, a buddy at work who is a mild knife enthusiast thinks the idea of a knife that drops shut is crazy. He doesn't even like to open or close a knife with one hand because he feels it's less safe.

I'm going to give it a few days to see if it grows on me. I didn't like the Massdrop Keen when I first opened the box (thought it was too big), but within a week or so it became a favorite of mine. Most likely you'll see it up on the exchange in few days/week or so and someone will get a discount on a cool little knife, lol.

OZpVVHK.jpg

u5Sk7XR.jpg

CD5q9Zk.jpg

4phGyO4.jpg

Of all the Bugouts I own and have handled I've never experienced this. If it were me I'd probably send it back.

Something isn't right IMO.

Me too, just waiting to find one without the first production marking on the blade.
This might sound stupid, but may I ask why you wouldn't want a first production piece? Is it aesthetic or are there certain issues with the first production runs?
Many Thanks!

Kevin

This might sound stupid, but may I ask why you wouldn't want a first production piece? Is it aesthetic or are there certain issues with the first production runs?
Many Thanks!

Kevin

I've owned several BM first production and never had an issue with anything.

I just don't like the marking on the blades, so yes for me it's pure aesthetics.

Although this has nothing to do with the discussion of scale colors, I would just like to state that I can’t believe they made a mini bugout. I’m not complaining, and by all means this is awesome, but I really find it very interesting that there is such a demand for “mini” versions of knives. In my opinion, most common folders are not so large that I would think “man, I wish this would be produced in a smaller size.” The folks at benchmade (or any knife company) must love the fact that they can produce a very average sized knife and then produce the same exact knife in a slightly smaller scale and still make the same money. Just my 2 cents, but again, no complaints. I will be ordering a mini bugout very soon, as well as other mini versions of knives. Damn knives taking all my money and stuff....:rolleyes:

I haven't been into pocket knives for very long, but I find it interesting and even frustrating at times, that the average size of modern folders is quite large.
I have nothing against large folding knives, and do have a few folders exceeding 3" of blade length for some use cases where I find longer blades advantageous, but generally I prefer the minis for my use which tend to favor pocket knives as small and light as possible while still retaining some degree of grip and handling comfort. This usually puts me in the 2.75 to 3" area. To me, and I believe many others, the pocket knife is a backup, a just in case tool, that spend infinitely more time in pocket than in hand. And the just in case situations usually involves a whole lot more packaging tape, cable ties and fishing line than zombies and wood chopping, and thus my preference for convenience over performance. When the probability and dependability of needing a knife increases I often carry some form of fixed blade anyways.
There is also the ergonomic and legal side of things. We aren't all created equal, and although it's not my main motivation for preferring "mini" knives, I (and probably others as well) have narrow hands that usually make shorter handles the more comfortable choice.
The legal limitations of longer blades, as silly as they may be, is also an obvious use case for mini-knives and doesn't need any explaining. As an extension of the legality issues, there are those who believe that smaller and less tactical knives makes for a more positive perception among non knife people. I'm not so sure most of them would notice the difference, but then again, going overboard on length is probably not going to help us avoid stigma and convince the uninitiated that knives are useful tools carried by (almost) normal people.

With all of that said (it was a bit much ehh?) I'm quite convinced that the size of the original Bugout was pretty much ideal for what I consider to be its intended use. It's still exciting that BM decided to make a mini of such a great design, but as of right now I wouldn't know what to use it for. Kind of a bummer, cause I really like the size and I have a weak spot for orange.

I received an orange mini bugout about a week ago. I actually like it better than I thought I would. The action's fine on mine. Maybe not as smooth as some of my others but it'll smooth out with use. Yes, it's definitely small. If you have large hands it probably won't be for you. But I find the mini versions actually suit my edc needs very well. I have the Sequel, Mini Grip (556-1), Valet and now the Mini Bugout. Oh yeah....also the Mini Crooked River Blade Forums Edition. But that's not very mini IMO.

I have plenty of larger knives for days that I feel like going bigger. For the most part I'm quite content carrying one of the minis

Of all the Bugouts I own and have handled I've never experienced this. If it were me I'd probably send it back.

Something isn't right IMO.

Yea... I think I'm going to send it back rather than sell it. It's sat in it's box on my desk the last couple of days and I occasionally open it to see if I was maybe being too critical... But no. It's stiff enough that I don't think I would feel comfortable selling it even after giving the buyer a heads up. I feel a bit bad, I've never sent a knife in for a return. :(

Last edited:
Yea... I think I'm going to send it back rather than sell it. It's sat in it's box on my desk the last couple of days and I occasionally open it to see if I was maybe being to critical... But no. It's stiff enough that I don't think I would feel comfortable selling it even after giving the buyer a heads up. I feel a bit bad, I've never sent a knife in for a return. :(

I hate to knock benchmade, but it’s no secret that their qc can definitely be frustrating sometimes. But regardless, in my experience (I have sent some back) they are always good to correct any issues in a timely matter. You should have the tlc you’re looking for very soon

Yea... I think I'm going to send it back rather than sell it. It's sat in it's box on my desk the last couple of days and I occasionally open it to see if I was maybe being too critical... But no. It's stiff enough that I don't think I would feel comfortable selling it even after giving the buyer a heads up. I feel a bit bad, I've never sent a knife in for a return. :(

No shame in sending it back, and kudos to not sell someone else the problem.

BM or whatever reputable retailer you got it from will surely take care of you. It happens, especially on a "new" model as the mini version.

I'm sure you'll be satisfied with the end result, and end up enjoying an example that works as it should.

Before you send it back... Consider what Benchmade would actually be able to fix. Your main grievances seem to be: blade weight ratio, flexy scales, stiff action and not super sharp.

They obviously can't do anything about the scale/blade weight ratio or the flexy scales. After describing the grind as great and the bevels as even as you've seen on a production knife wouldn't it just be easier to touch it up on a sharpener as you see fit?

Maybe a bit silly to suggest but have you tried to loosen the pivot off a 1/16th of a turn? My Bugout was quite stiff when I first got it but after tweaking the pivot the action is perfect with no blade play. I'd try that first but if that doesn't work though, I'd sent it back.

I love the bugout as a whole, but I sure wish Benchmade would run out of S30V already. While some may not be bothered by the micro chips, I absolutely hate having to touch up my blade after just opening some boxes or cutting a few zip ties at work.

S30 may be a good steel, but all three of my Bugouts suffer from chipping with very minimal use.

I carried my LW para3 and used it all week to cut wires and other things during our Axon video install, and the blade it still like a razor, with no chipping at all. My Bugout would have been crying after that.

No more bugouts for me until they offer it in the custom shop, with a choice of steels or upgrade the steel in the line.

TXPO

Back