Mini hatchet/tomahawks run

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTknives

Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com
I’m considering doing a run of the small hatchets or tactical tomahawks. Have not settled on a design yet but I’m wondering if there are any takers. Material is still up in the air but sky’s the limit. Right now I have some .163 8670 and .186 80CrV2 in stock that would work great. I also have some .138 aebl as well. But I can bring in anything.

I have been tweaking things just a little here and there and think I have a real solid design. I lengthened the tang area a bit to a 5” long grip. After looking it over I’m thinking of moving the top hole down and recentering the middle hole again.
Photo%20Feb%2002%2C%2012%2041%2011%20AM.jpg

Last edited:
I was the person who just sent you guys an email about heat treating one, good timing lol. I’m not picky about the steel although I’d prefer 1/4”, but if that’s not an option I’d prob be in for 1-2 of the .186” 80crv2 depending on price.

If this doesn’t end up happening I’ll still be sending you guys one to heat treat with my next batch, I’ll make sure it’s under 5” wide as you said though. I’ll be looking forward to updates on this :thumbsup:

Lets see what the design is

I could be persuaded to get some .186” 80crv2 depending on the design.

would there be an order minimum for this?

Lets see a design, spec options, and prices. I think they're silly but I might be persuaded otherwise for the right price...

To be honest, less than 1/4" isn't really much more than a hatchet shaped knife - .36" would be even better. I think the metal is less important than the thickness. 5160, 1075, 1080,1084,9260, 80CrV, would all make a good belt hatchet.

9" to 10" length and a head with a heel/poll of 2" and a edge of 2.5" would be good. 3" from heel to edge is about right.

Last edited:
I had an all steel Swamprat RattleHawk. .25 thick 52100.

There were a few design features it was missing that would likely have kept it in my stable.

No point/Horn on the top edge limited the piercing/cutting potential on a jab/stab, and also its penetration power on a throw where it hit on that top point.

.25 makes for more power in chopping, but in fighting less would have been preferable. One of their hawks the sniper hawk was 3/16 thick, and just dandy!!!

Make sure your handle does not come up under the beard. If chopping through a piece of firewood ruins your handle/damages the top of your handle, it is up to high.

UPVTIcJ.jpg

Last edited:
I want atleast one for myself but , maybe as many as 10 , depends on price. I would be thrilled to use someone elses design as I would just be shooting in the dark with my own design.

I'd be interested in a couple, I'd like to see .25" though. I have faith that with all the input here, the design will be wicked. I find a hammer poll more useful but a spike isn't a deal breaker.

Looks like the thickness will be 1/4”. As for material it all comes down to price point. From AKS 80CrV2 is about our only option for the sheet size and thickness. There are other venders I can look into if other material is wanted. The issue will be efficiently nesting so material usage is not absurd. AEBL is another option but it tops out at just under .200.

80crv2 for me.

something winkler/trackerdan/rmj esque with maybe a pinch of Nordic inspiration and I’m in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back