Mini hatchet/tomahawks run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using a rough trace of your initial design, my nesting software says you can get 97 on a 61x61 sheet, at about 50% utilization. A 11x23.5 will yield 4 pieces at 30% with a big rectangular drop like you mentioned. Ignoring that drop, it's 41% efficient. If you can get an 11x47.5 sheet from Chuck, that'll yield 12 at 44% efficiency (only using 45" of length, 46%).

Just heard back from the vender and this is the cert of that plate.

C % 0.801
Si % 0.299
Mn % 0.520
P % 0.016
S % 0.004
Cr % 0.518
V % 0.156

The guys that have requested tomahawks from me all wanted a flat/hammer instead of a spike.

Using a rough trace of your initial design, my nesting software says you can get 97 on a 61x61 sheet, at about 50% utilization. A 11x23.5 will yield 4 pieces at 30% with a big rectangular drop like you mentioned. Ignoring that drop, it's 41% efficient. If you can get an 11x47.5 sheet from Chuck, that'll yield 12 at 44% efficiency (only using 45" of length, 46%).

If those numbers are correct then do you see the issue with material cost. To my door one 11.5x23.5” sheet will cost me (my cost) $200. That means at 4 per sheet that’s $50 my cost in just material. But say I can get a longer sheet from him which brings up the efficiency. Now I’m paying fright to ship the steel which would be every bit of $100-$200. There goes the savings from a larger sheet that still cost retail. I mark material up to cover programming/setup and the risk I take. If I cut a bad blade or scrap something it’s my skin. So I build this into the material charge. It’s a little different if an entire sheet is being used but I cannot bank on the hope I will find a use for the funky shaped drops. Industry standard for material mark up in the cnc plasma world is 100%. This covers the scrap loss and other unseen factors. But like I said it’s diffrent when material value is higher and a full sheet is used. This is why I started looking at going bulk as it’s a good bit cheeper. This means I can get your material cost down to or less then what you would pay if you bought the material from AKS or NJSB. Buying bulk from a mill/vender gives me the cushion to cover my investment and give you guys a great deal. Basically from your side your paying retail market price for steel and getting all the programming and plasma cutting for free. Also on big sheets nesting is much more efficient as you have seen.

This is probably more info then you wanted to get but I wanted to be open on how it generally works. Trust me I fight harder then you know when it comes to trying to give to top quality at an affordable price.

Oh and I was able to fit more then 4 per sheet. I still have to look it over to make sure it all fits but the rough numbers looked like 6 maybe 7 would fit a 11.5x23.5” sheet

Last edited:
It's a bad time of year for me. If you are running them later I might take a couple. I would also be interested in some large camp knives and or Bowies. Mixing them in might help with your waist. It will be April before I can start buying more steel though.

That big sheet sounds good to me, and I’d absolutely be interested in some Bowie’s and choppers if there’s room.

Looks like we are moving forward with buying this sheet. After crunching all the numbers and looking over the goal, it’s the direction we have decided to go. It looks like we will be able to provide the material to you for these hawks cheaper then you can buy it from AKS or NJSB. And with the larger group it makes things cheeper as I can factor in nest efficiency. Normally if you want say one blade cut your paying for the square shape of that profile as I can’t bank on hoping to nest something around your tang. But in a big batch I can calculate out actual usage per blade.

I am tossing around some other hawk ideas to give to you. Also if anyone is wanting Bowie’s or other large blades this is the time to jump in. This batch will be a separate item in our store. If you have a hawk design you want cut and you don’t like what we have I’m sure we can nest you in as well.

Do you want us to post up Bowie/chopper drawings here so you can work out the nesting or just submit them with the order as usual?

Love the design. If there is some interest of other forum members from Europe, maybe we could get a group order in to share the postage costs? Looking forward to the cost per unit.

I may have missed it, but do you have an image with dimensions of the proposed hawk?

Thanks, I missed it indeed. I would like a 50% wider poll for striking things, but that is sufficient for most things.

According to my math on the hawk I posted the material would be $28. That covers the material and cutting. Heat treating would be $10 and if you want drilled holes that’s $2. So in a nut shell $40 for a cut and heat treated blank ready to grind and handle. I will know for sure once I really sit down and nest everything out. And according to my math that’s cheeper then you can buy just the material for. Other designs will be different as thy will nest differently. But I figured I would give you guys an idea where we are sitting cost wise assuming a run of around 50.

I'd very likely be interested in grabbing a couple as well.
Raw, no holes or heat treat though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back