Mini History of Cold Steel Kobun & Oyabun

jlauffer

Tempt not the Blade
Platinum Member
Quickly threw this together based on catalog info...not planning to add any pics. Have included model numbers, blade steel, blade finish, type of sheath, and where made.

KOBUN:

Introduced in the 1996/97 catalog. Not many people realize there was a serrated version.

1996 - 1998.....#17.1....................AUS 8A..................Satin................Kydex..............Japan
1996 - 1998.....#17.1S (serr.).....AUS 8A..................Satin................Kydex..............Japan

1999 - 2000.....#17.1....................AUS 8A..................Satin................Concealex.....Japan
1999 - 2000.....#17.1S (serr.).....AUS 8A..................Satin................Concealex.....Japan

2000 - 2003.....#17.1C.................Carbon V..............Epoxy..............Concealex.....USA

2001 - 2005.....#17.1T..................420 Sub Zero.....Bead-blast.....Concealex.....Taiwan

2006...................#17.1T..................AUS 8A.................Bead-blast.....Concealex.....Taiwan

2007...................#39LKC.................4116 Krupp........Satin.................Secure-Ex.....China

2010 - 2015.....#17T......................AUS 8A................Satin.................Secure-Ex.....Taiwan

2016 - 2017.....#17TZ...................AUS 8A................Satin.................Secure-Ex.....Taiwan

OYABUN:

Introduced in the 1998 catalog. Basically just a longer Kobun. Most people are familiar with the 9" version, but many do not realize there was also a 7 1/2" version in the beginning.

1998 - 2000.....#19A (7 1/2").....AUS 8A.................Satin................Leather..........Japan
1998 - 2000.....#19B......................AUS 8A................Satin.................Leather..........Japan

2001 - 2003.....#19BT...................420 Sub Zero.....Bead-blast.....Secure-Ex.....Taiwan

2004 - 2005.....#19BC..................Carbon V.............Epoxy...............Concealex.....USA

Last edited:
I thought you might like seeing this Cold Steel ad from the September 1998 issue of Tactical Knives magazine. It introduces the Oyabun and describes both the 9-inch and 7.5-inch bladed models.

IMG-3129.jpg

-Steve

Last edited:
i was wondering if you could clear something up for me. i'll start with what i know. for the kobun, obviously the carbon v version was USA-made. and i figure that the 4116 Krupp and the 420 quench versions are Chinese and/or Taiwanese, and the newest AUS-8A versions are made in Taiwan. Just out of curiosity, were the earliest (AUS-8A) kobuns made in Japan? I only ask because I have been searching for a Japanese Kobun for a long time. I gave up on that search to focus on rounding out my classic tanto collection, but IIRC, all the stainless Kobuns I came across were Taiwanese (maybe a few were Chinese too, it was a while ago, and sparingly, a US-made black-coated carbon v knife here and there). So I assumed that Japanese ones were extremely rare, or never even existed. I was leaning towards rare since they were being made at the same time as the Japanese-made Oyabuns, but i am even less certain now than before. did Japanese-made Kobuns exist?

[QUOTE="jencarlos, post: ...Just out of curiosity, were the earliest (AUS-8A) kobuns made in Japan?.. I assumed that Japanese ones were extremely rare, or never even existed. ..did Japanese-made Kobuns exist?[/QUOTE]
They surely exist. I feel particularly silly for not having picked up the plain edge japanese Kubon. Back in the day when things were all about being tactical, i fell for the serrated version. Thankfully i had also procured a plain edge US made carbon V and somewhere down the road - a RoC kubon which functions as advertised, but mine never quite matched the near perfect grinds of the japanese version...

Well, Now that you put it that way then maybe perhaps as a collection piece it wasn't too bad an outcome for a rash decision after all ;-) granted that its ghastly near monsterous grin is the stuff of nightmares; with its instant ability to create quite an intimidating "shock factor" with its mere drawn presence. And yet somehow what's even worst is having to contemplate just what a daunting task it would be for anyone having to "fix" any damage teeth...without the proper expertise in knife serration after care, like in yours truly.

Well, Now that you put it that way then maybe perhaps as a collection piece it wasn't too bad an outcome for a rash decision after all ;-) granted that its ghastly near monsterous grin is the stuff of nightmares; with its instant ability to create quite an intimidating "shock factor" with its mere drawn presence. And yet somehow what's even worst is having to contemplate just what a daunting task it would be for anyone having to "fix" any damage teeth...without the proper expertise in knife serration after care, like in yours truly.

CS will sharpen any knife regardless of blade type I was told, as long as it is a CS Product.

Great info as always. Not on the list is the new versions of the Kobun - such as the model 17TS. I have no information other then they started making a new serrated version - taiwan ? ? ? ?

Yes, Taiwan, with AUS 8A steel. Construction is flawless, every bit the equal of the Japanese Kobuns.

IMG-2059.jpg

IMG-2060.jpg

IMG-2061.jpg

I understand why Lynn liked this serrated model enough to bring it back. It's a self-defense benchmark.

-Steve

I think the serrated Kobun is indeed an excellent self-defense knife. I have the original plain blade version as well. I also have the black blade Oyabun in carbon V as well as one in Aus 8. I'd do virtual back flips if they ever brought out a serrated Oyabun as partner to the new Kobun. Not likely with the new ownership though. The largest serrated fixed blade knife I know of is the serrated Marauder. I don't really like the look of the extreme clippoint but as a lover of serrated blades I may have to get it anyway.

v

Back